Man Creates Incredibly Detailed Muppet Show Theater

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Man Creates Incredibly Detailed Muppet Show Theater

It's the Muppet Show, with our special guest star - set designer Lance Cardinal! YAAAAYAYAYAAYA!

This miniature Muppet Show playset was custom-made for the Palisades toy line of Muppet miniatures. The mini Kermits and Gonzos were extremely authentic and the entire line of over 82 figures captivated the imagination of Lance Cardinal, a former set designer and current visual artist attending the Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver, Canada. A huge fan of the show, Cardinal purchased many of the figures and playsets (such as Pigs in Space, and the Swedish Chef's Kitchen) from Palisades when the toys were first released in 2001. He was hotly anticipating the Muppet Theatre Playset that would have held all of the other scenes and brought the whole collection together. Unfortunately, Palisades Toys went bankrupt in 2006 and all plans to produce the Muppet Theater was scrapped. Cardinal didn't take no for an answer though and used all of his artistic skill and patience to make his own Muppet Theater.

"I'm sure Palisades would have done an amazing job," Cardinal wrote on his blog, "but I think I have done them justice. I have tried to capture the essence of the Palisades brand, including aesthetics, attention to detail and interactive fun!"

[gallery=188]

There was a collective squee of enjoyment in The Escapist offices when we discovered Cardinal's website. Every little detail of the miniature Muppet Show stage, from the accurate rigging and working curtain to the painstaking paint and detail work not only completely matches the toy figures, but also Jim Henson's DIY style of puppet crafting.

Kudos, Lance Cardinal. You have made something wonderful that transported me back in time to when I'd sit and watch The Muppet Show on Saturday nights with my family.

Go to Cardinal's blog [http://lancecardinal.blogspot.com/2011/03/scratch-built-palisades-muppet-theatre.html] if you want to learn more about how he made the Muppet theater and see even more pictures of this amazing creation.

Source: Lance Cardinal [http://lancecardinal.blogspot.com/2011/03/scratch-built-palisades-muppet-theatre.html]

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Jason Segel is bringing the Muppets back. Nothing would make me happier for a given time than to see a full revival.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
I didn't realize there was a line of Muppet action figures. Wow!

OT: I'd be interested to know if he got a reaction from Palisades. This guy did an incredible job. I'm definitely feeling nostalgic. I think it's a Muppet night.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Piiiiiigs....in....SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Does it get better than The Muppets? No. No, it does not. This guy is my hero.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Only thing missing is Statler and Waldorf's balcony location.
Otherwise this is spot on. Awesome work.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's an amazing (not so) little model.

Susan Arendt said:
Piiiiiigs....in....SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
Damnit Arendt, I was going to type that!

Now we'll never get to see what Dr Strangepork had in store...

Feb 13, 2008
samsonguy920 said:

They missed out our balcony? This is an outrage
Why? I thought you hated the show.
I do, but I left my false teeth in there last night.
Whoohohohohohohohohoho

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I definitely recommend looking on his blog. You get to see more of the crazy detail and the guy's love of the Muppets really shines through.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
That is the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, muppetational thing i've seen all week.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
samsonguy920 said:

They missed out our balcony? This is an outrage
Why? I thought you hated the show.
I do, but I left my false teeth in there last night.
Whoohohohohohohohohoho

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Just amazing! I hope Brian Henson sees this and gives the guy something special. Incredible detail!

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Now I know there is a part in my childhood that I missed... Was too exposed to the anime "Zenki" at that time... >.>

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
I wipe tears from my eyes just looking at this. Once in a great while, we stumble upon things too great and beautiful for the world of men to comprehend. THIS is one of those moments.