Man faces jail for handing in a gun.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
This is messed up.

See, there's this thing called "Strict Liability", it basically means, "I don't care why you did it, it's still illegal". Speeding, for example is a strict liability crime, so Mr Important can't just claim he's in a rush and get away with it.

Anyway, Paul Clarke, found a discarded shotgun and decided he should hand it in to the proper authorities, saying "I thought it was my duty to get [the gun] off the streets". So, instead of recieving a reward, or even a hug and a "well done", he was arrested and chucked in a cell, as possession of a firearm, in the UK, is a "Strict Liability" offense. He even phoned ahead to announce his intention to hand it in, so the police wouldn't gun him down in fear.

The judge hearing the case says, "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge. The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

Linky! [http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html]

So, thoughts, feelings, arguments? Feel free to spew them out below.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
That is bull shit. The police should have told him that if he would bring in the gun he would get thrown in jail and that he needs to tell them where the gun is so they can go and pick it up...

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
That's just bullshit.
And I'm not surprised it happened in the UK.
I must now kill off most of a legal system and get it rebuilt correctly...

[sub]What do you mean, it's illegal to kill them?!!
I'm doing it for the good of the innocent people, you know, to get idiot laws and such off the street!
..Oh... so THAT'S how it is?!![/sub]

EDIT: AND it was an EX-SOLDIER. Way to show ingratitude, idiots.
Hmph. No ex-soldier, or indeed anyone with good intentions, should have to go through this.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
If he knew that it was a strict liability crime, he should have stood there and called it in for the authorities to retrieve it.

I can see why there arresting him, its written down in black and white, ofc, I think he should get off on minimal charges.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
This is what we call epic failure. 5 years of prison for doing something good.

Way to go, British justice system.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
Thats retarded!

He must , like me, not have been aware of "Strict Liability". The least the Filth could have done was warn him not to and give them the location of the weapon.

Or would they rather some kid find it and decide its their favourite new toy?

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Sounds like entrapment by the police. Considering he called ahead and told them what he was doing, the police should have been obligated to tell him it was against the law for him to handle it, therefore the police themselves are at most fault.

Though, I don't know if the UK has any anti-entrapment laws.

Krythe

Oct 29, 2009
Britain: No sunlight, no decent food, no justice... My heart goes out to all you people living in that sorrowful place.

Jun 13, 2009
I am..completely speechless. I wanted to say something relatively snide about the UK law systems, but I can't create even a remotely coherent sentence.

[HEADING=3]Fuck. This. Bullshit.[/HEADING]

The jury should be ashamed, the judge should be fired and the police officer reprimanded for abuse of his power.

This is why I am convinced that the entire country should be purged clean of any and all existing law and order and rebuilt from scratch by people with more half a brain cell between the lot of them.

Fuck, I'm angry now. >:[

sov68n

May 17, 2009
Obrien Xp said:
I can see why there arresting him, its written down in black and white, ofc, I think he should get off on minimal charges.
The segregation laws were written down in black and white as well, do you also believe the African Americans of the civil rights movement deserved to be arrested?

Just because something is a law does not mean it is just or applies to all situations. This is clearly a case where the man should not face any charges.

CanOfPop

Nov 11, 2009
Obrien Xp said:
If he knew that it was a strict liability crime, he should have stood there and called it in for the authorities to retrieve it.

This is ridiculous.

sov68n said:
Obrien Xp said:
The segregation laws were written down in black and white as well, do you also believe the African Americans of the civil rights movement deserved to be arrested?

Just because something is a law does not mean it is just or applies to all situations. This is clearly a case where the man should not face any charges.
And this.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Frakin BS. He had the decency to phone in and this is what happens? If he just showed up brandishing a shotgun I could understand it, but this, absolutely shameful.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The simple fact that it was in Britain means I am not particularly shocked.

News: "5 teenagers attacked an old pensioner, the pensioner then threw a brick at them in defence and was arrested for it, the 5 teenagers were let off with a warning."

Me: "What the fuck!?"

News: "That's it for the news of Britain tonight"

Me: "Ah."