Man Googles Himself, Finds He's Wanted for Murder

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Man Googles Himself, Finds He's Wanted for Murder

A student at the University of Florida was surprised to find that he was identified by police as a murder suspect.

We've all done it before. You put your name into the Google search field and hit I'm Feeling Lucky, hoping that something good comes up. But for one Zachary Garcia, a student at the University of Florida, he was surprised to see from such a Google search that his name and driver's license photo were released by the Polk County Sheriff's Office in connection with a murder that took place in nearby Davenport. The actual individual charged was named Zachery Garcia (Spelled with an "E" and not an "A"), but the police published it incorrectly, along with the wrong person's picture. Garcia quickly contacted the police and the error was corrected.

"I was just very shocked to find my picture and the article saying that I was convicted of a felony murder charge," Garcia said. "I was just very shocked and angry that someone put my name up there and said I did something I didn't do.

"Everybody makes mistakes," Garcia was quick to add. "I work at Publix [grocery store] and I might get somebody's sub wrong. But for somebody to get the photo of a suspect wrong ... it's not a sandwich, it's somebody's life you're playing with."

Truer words were never spoken, Mr. Garcia. It's not a sandwich, it's somebody's life.

I think you might have unwittingly started a new internet meme. Someone make a video quick.

Source: WTSP [http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=159559&catid=250]

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Im feeling lucky. "Well sad for you, for you arent"
Poor guy. Glad the whole thing got resolved.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I just get my facebook page, then a load of imposters!

Bit of an error, bet he's glad he corrected it before anyone turned him in!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
bet he was using this version of google

okay, idiocy aside, that's just a shit-brix situation and I wouldnt really know what to do if I was him =P

funfact: once I googled myself, found pictures of cross-dressers and shit, my self esteem has never been the same since then T-T

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
>.>
.>
*quickly opens up Google*

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! I'm dead!
Well not really. But a guy in the UK with my exact name died last year!
http://www.thisisannouncements.co.uk/5883110

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Sometimes a sandwich is more important then ones life in my humble opinion. You know what I mean.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
*googles self* hey what do you know, im a poet and i didnt even know it. bwahahahaha... yeah im immature. also, this needs to be a meme, stat. somebody get this to 4chan, on the double.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
This is why I won't google myself, I'm afraid of what I'll find.
True, I have Googled my username though, and I have found someone with an identical one on a *ahem* Japanese explicit site.

Hope nobody mixes us up >.>

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Since it was a mistake it clears up my first thought being "why would the police announce a suspect BEFORE he knew" since the public always finds out weeks later a good chunk of the time.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
A life just isn't a life without the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

OT: Damn. I don't know what I would do if I found myself wanted for murder. Hell with the way I go some weekends, I probably would have believed the report and turned myself in.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
Aparently no one in history with my name did anything interesting, as I get my Facebook page. Whee.