Man Jailed for 3 months over Facebook Jokes

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Calibanbutcher said:
Dear Lord, if bad humour was punishable by law, the escapist would be depopulated in a matter of days.
Sums up my opinion on the matter. He didn't objectively do anything to anyone, his very existance could be negated by ignoring him. Why jail him.

Jun 7, 2010
JoJo said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Wow.

My country is actually becoming a police state.

I am now in full support of scottish independence.

We gotta haul ass before it's too late.
To be fair Labour is pretty big in Scotland and they didn't do anything to stop the encroaching of police statism, so be careful if the Scots end voting for independence that you don't end up on the same path since you'll probably initially inherit most of the UK's laws.

OT: The guy's joke is sick and disturbing but that shouldn't be a reason to arrest or imprison him, seems like freedom of speech really is dead in my country :-(
I guess it's our best shot, regardless.

It's been a LOOONG while since i've actually cared about anything like this. So this must've really rustled my political jimmies.

GenericAmerican

Dec 27, 2009
Looks like a lot of people didn't actually read the article.

He wasn't arrested for a bad joke, he was taken into protective custody because he caused an angry mob to show up outside his house.

Then jailed because causing shit like that is against the law in Britain.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
This is the worst thing I have ever heard of. A serious breach of free speech, and beyond that simply bullshit in every way possible.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
So I read the article and get that he said enough nasty things on the interwebz that a crazy angry mob showed up and he had to be arrested for his own safety or whatnot (I'm not about to question the laws in a country I don't live or vote in), but I feel like the whole world is sort of slowly defaulting to Orwellian, here...

Employers are now asking for your Facebook login and password, so they can keep track of you. If you don't have a password, this is suspicious. In Britain (for now, anyway), if you say a bad on the tubes, you have a chance at some prison time. In the US, we happily let our freedom go for "security," because if you're not a terrorist, who cares if you're wiretapped, right?

I'm not about to take the next shuttle to Mars or hide in Antarctica and start a crappy conspiracy theory website--I mean, this could be as far as it goes--but I feel like there's not enough communal head scratching going on. Honestly, I think being able to prevent people from being cyber bullies is an important thing, I just feel really awkward when the solution is jail time. This might not be happening in the place where I live, but it really shouldn't be happening anywhere.

Maybe there needs to be less emphasis on conforming to society's favorite form of mass media? Then, if you know you have the chance of typing something stupid while drunk, you won't have to put yourself in the temptation seat (and won't get labeled as an outsider). I honestly don't know what we should do, but before we have our Facebook statuses updated by our thoughts, we ought to figure this one out.

Nov 28, 2007
Catrixa said:
Employers are now asking for your Facebook login and password, so they can keep track of you. If you don't have a password, this is suspicious. In Britain (for now, anyway), if you say a bad on the tubes, you have a chance at some prison time. In the US, we happily let our freedom go for "security," because if you're not a terrorist, who cares if you're wiretapped, right?
Actually, in California (not sure about other states), they passed a bill that prohibits employers and colleges from requiring you to give your Facebook information, as the bill's author considered it an "invasion of privacy".

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
thebobmaster said:
Catrixa said:
Actually, in California (not sure about other states), they passed a bill that prohibits employers and colleges from requiring you to give your Facebook information, as the bill's author considered it an "invasion of privacy".
Well, hopefully other states catch on if they haven't already (I haven't seen anything in Oregon, but I've never had an employer require that information either). That's not to say they won't still e-track you when you apply to make sure you're not getting drunk with friends too often, but I like steps in the right direction.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
109 said:
Holy shit, that is some GROSS violation of the right to free speech right there!

I'm sorry, but Britain has started going down the drain with this ruling. If the constitution of Great Britain permits the jailing of people for nothing other than expressing opinions the courts don't like, that is grounds for any organization, corporate or political, to jail people for publically disagreeing with their actions.

I seriously hope the guy takes this case to whatever they have in Britain that serves as the Supreme/Constitutional court and gets the judge who sentenced him fired, because this is some straight up 1984 shit that just happened.
Just a heads up, Britain doesn't have a formally written constitution so the exact definition of what entails rights etc. is/has the ability to be ever changing (legally, at least).

Plus, forgive me if I'm getting my wires crossed, but isn't there an Act that makes it an offence to misuse public forums (like facebook and twitter). While the joke is tasteless, wouldn't inciting 50 people to come knocking on his door angrily be enough to count as inciting hatred/violence/ breach of the peace and would therefore come under the act as 'misuse'?

Out of curiosity, I would want to see what else he had written and possibly his replies on facebook before passing any judgement. If someone had called him out on it online and he responded in an argumentative/aggressive/inflammatory/in some way unrepentant and not nice manner, that could also be grounds for arrest under the act.

While I wouldn't write off Britain as gone-to-the-dogs-pc-gone-mad-1984 hell hole just yet, it is pretty unsettling the see this kind of thing cropping up lately.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Maybe I'm just one of those Constitution-waving Amurkins (the real kind, not the ultra-conservative kind), but do you guys in the UK not have some kind of protection of free speech? I don't care which country you're from, it's a gross violation of freedom and ethics to send someone to prison over a joke (no matter how tasteless).

Though maybe it's not so bad, since the UK apparently has so little crime that the police don't have anything better to do than arrest you for tasteless humor. Then again, I suppose that's true here in the US as well - only they arrest you for smoking the wrong plant instead of telling jokes. And it's the same in some middle-eastern countries, only they arrest you for worshiping the wrong god. Gosh, what a crime-free world we must live in!

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
Zombiefish said:
So a guy has been sentenced to 3 months in prison for posting tasteless jokes on his facebook.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19869710

What do you guys think of this?

My own opinion is that its quite frieghtning and pretty disgraceful that posting a tastless joke can warrant a prison sentence, even if it is pretty disgusting.
Arent there better things to be spending funds on rather than prosecuting people for bad humor. I mean it was on his own private page, not directed at the family or people involved in the case itself....
This is absolutely shameful.

Telling bad jokes can lead to imprisonment? What crime did he commit exactly?

There is a post on here of a man blatantly sexually assaulting women at a video game convention and filming it, and this guy goes to jail?

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
I think what a lot of (especially younger) people confuse is the 'Right to Free Speech' with 'No consequences for anything I say or type.'

As has already been pointed out, there are a lot of double standards and hypocrisy when it comes to judicial matters and I suspect this guy's sentence will be overturned on appeal, especially as a similar case (the chap who tweeted about blowing up Robin Hood airport - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19009344 ) was overturned. If Woods goes to jail, Boyle should too.

I'll be the first to trot out the Steve Hughes 'offended' video clip when talking about trivia, but trolling and cyberbullying has caused suicides. Your right to free speech does not extend to driving someone's daughter to hang herself, for example. Or, rather, you can say it... but expect to pay the bloody price for it.

You have a right to walk up to that really big bloke with a shaved head in a bar and tell him his girlfriend is ugly, or what you did with his mother last night. These keyboard cowards will do it online, not to someone's face.

Should he have gone to jail? Not really.. if I'd have been in the police car approaching the house with a mob outside it, I might have quietly found something else to do than take him into protective custody.

Actions... consequences. The internet does appear to be teaching our younger generation that the two words are not connected when, in reality....

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Calibanbutcher said:
Dear Lord, if bad humour was punishable by law, the escapist would be depopulated in a matter of days.
Daystar would face the firing squad.

Hmmmmm while I support freedom of speech(both the right to say what ever you want and then being responsible for everything you said) and believe more idiots should be responsible for that they say over the internet.... Being arrested over that weak of a joke is pathetic. Its no less than what the police have intimated before(the parents are always prime suspects) and it isn't very graphic. Dead baby jokes are more graphic and offensive(and hilariously funny) so i can only imagine the jail time on those.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I think it is good...

It serves as a deterrent for other people who think that mediums like the internet can be used to cause others hurt and misfortune...

I don't mind trolling... but I do mind when the comments are seriously aimed to hurt other people when they are already upset... hell... aimed to hurt anybody is horrible!

It is inconsiderate and generally horrible... so I am glad someone has been made an example of...

Also... Private page? This is the internet... there is no such thing!
I would agree with you on this, but...

Well, I have the darkest sense of humor of anyone I know.

If he were like those people who got put down for spamming relevant people's facebook and twitter, yeah. String 'em up[footnote]Metaphorically speaking[/footnote]

That said, according to the article, it's a case of police protection because people were that upset, they were going to his house.

That's an overreaction.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
PanasonicYouth said:
?What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.?
Salman Rushdie - a great example. He was perfectly free to write or say whatever he wanted. He chose to do so. His expression of free speech, I think all would agree, had some consequences for him that he might not have enjoyed, rightly or wrongly.

If, however, anyone would like to compare a trolling pre-pubescent child or self-congratulory twenty-something with Rushdie, please, please have a go! People who have nothing better to do than inflict further pain on people suffering to the extreme are probably more deserving of our pity, and a session with an analyst, than a jail sentence.

The snag with this case is the young lad involved appears to be horrified at the outcome of what he typed. He's not some arrogant 'fuck the state, fuck the family' kind of idiot, but someone who did something without thinking (and we've all been there). When you do that in a small community, though, it's hard just to say 'oops... my bad.'

I'm a hypocrite, though. I would quite happily nuke 4-chan from the 'net and delete any comment on YouTube that originated from anyone under the age of 25. I don't see that either of those two sections serves any useful purpose to society but I have to support their right to be there.

Damn...!

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Being arrested for 3 months for his own safety is pretty damn drastic. If a 50-man mob can warrant a man's arrest over a few Facebook comments, they need to start working on actual criminals. But what I find the strangest, and most messed up, is that they're not lifting any fingers over the mob that was dangerous enough to warrant his arrest for 3 months. I'd be more worried about them than a someone who made an offensive comment.

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
I know theres alot of facts missing from the case, due to the comments being withheld from the public, although most forums ive read on this topic agree they were all made in a 'joke' nature rather than malice.

"no other sentence this court could have passed which conveys to you the abhorrence that many in society feel this crime should receive" - magistrate

Is not up to society to make laws however. Its up to professionals who understand the concepts and complexities and can write applicable laws that society can then approve.
The guy shouldn't have been jailed because society wanted it. If the facts proved he deserved the sentence then OK but it seems this judgement was made because a crowd of people demanded it, which shouldn't happen.

The problem I see is this guy is going to have a criminal record for life, meaning he will struggle to gain a well paid job or have any kind of future because of a facebook comment.

Why they couldn't have given him public service or something instead is beyond me.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Did he KNOW the family? Is there a single conceivable normal scenario in which the family of that missing kid (what the joke was about) would have read his posts, let alone is there any proof that he intended to bring emotional harm to said family?

No?

Then why in the ever-loving fuck was he put in jail?

That judge is a joke. So is any law that would allow for such a punishment. A SINGLE joke (with follow-up posts that are not described but are presumably small in number) about a missing kid should never warrant jail time. Hell, even if he knew the kid, I don't see an issue with a single post on his own page. That is, after all, what the internet is for.

Edit: How many celebrities joke about other celebrity deaths without consequence? Making fun of others in itself does not equate to harassment.