Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone

Feb 13, 2008
Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone

Last Friday, an unidentified man in Guangzhou, China was killed when his cell phone suddenly exploded.

One of the members of staff at the local 7-11 thought something was wrong when she heard a loud bang. After rushing to investigate, she found her colleague lying in a pool of blood.

The victim had recently swapped his mobile battery for a new one. For some unknown reason, perhaps due to the third party products, perhaps due to the proximity of the computers, perhaps due to sheer bad luck, the mobile detonated in his chest pocket.

Shards of plastic tore through the arteries in his neck and he gurgled to his rapid demise from massive blood loss. Nice.

Police have not released the make or model of the phone, but he was known to be working in a Lenovo store - although it's not clear if the shop was an official outlet or if it just advertised Lenovo products.

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/03/exploding_battery_chest_pocket_kills_chinese_man/]

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Ohh, blimey. This is gonna be fun for the mobile companies if the newspapers decide to kick up a storm.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, I've had batteries explode in CD players and the like, but I never thought of a phone battery doing the same thing. Scary stuff.

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
Ahh, the exploding cigar gag elevated to new heights.

jk.

It's no surprise when third party hardware fails - in this case explosively - the cause most likely a faulty capacitor which couldn't handle the strain or something like that, not that I know much about electronic-a-ma-jigs.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Well, great....
With my luck with electronics, my cell phone will hunt me and my entire family down and brutally murder us...

Seriously. My cell phone died inexplicably in less than a month of owning it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cheap chinese batteries, don't buy 'em.

I'm willing to bet money the battery was either massively overcharged or used something else than Lithium salt and carbon...

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
hey. can you hear me now?
...sorry couldn't resist

thats is freaking unlucky though and ill bet the collegue never carries a phone again

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Note to self: Don't put cheap-ass 3rd party batteries in my phone.

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
One time, one of my ted baker body spray fell on top of the raidator, i was in the room with my brother i was standing in front of the tele and i was having a argument with my brother, and all of a sudden we heard a noice, my brother jumped and pushed me onto the bed, about 3 seconds later it exploded and massive piece of metel hit into the tele where my chest would of been, my brother got awarded a metal from the mayor of EASTLEIGH (Where i live)

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
Did anyone else burst out laughing at this? .......because I sure didn't.
Ironically, it was Microsoft's cell phone prototype.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Lol! Thats the funniest thing i've heard all day. Hearing about someone dying always puts me in a good mood.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
mattttherman3 said:
I smell a lawsuit.
Methinks the Chinese look down on unproductive lawsuits that allow civilians to bog down companies from supporting the glorious nation.

They'll probably give him a new phone though.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I'll be ordering a hundred of these batteries and secreting them in the mobiles of colleagues and co-workers who seem to spend more time on break making personal calls than actually working and those jerks who have Dido ringtones.

A less vindictive man would just report them and have them terminated the old fashioned way.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
I want an exploding phone! well, not really. But this has inspired me to blow up my old phone(I'll let you guys know abot how it goes later).

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Shards of plastic tore through the arteries in his neck and he gurgled to his rapid demise from massive blood loss. Nice.
Not nice. Not nice at all.

Apr 28, 2008
I will probably sound like an insensative jackass for this, and probably be hated, but whatever: I find this to be pretty funny.

I probably think that way because I was raised in Chicago where a few people people die everyday for some reason or another. Being surrounded by all the violence of the city probably gave me a dark sense of humor.

Its sad and all, but imagine it. A dude just standing there and BOOM, his cell phone explodes and kills him.

wow I think I have problems...