Man killed by police after angry CoD gamer SWATs player for lost $1.50 wager match

Gauche

Aug 16, 2016
http://www.kwch.com/content/news/467049153.html

https://umggaming.com/m/4179723

They lose a CoD $1.50 wager match together which leads to threatening each other via SWATing
M1ruhcIe sent baperizer a fake address antagonizing him to do it
baperizer sent out the info to have it SWAT-ted
Innocent man dies

4/5/18 - Just wanted to add the following

https://patch.com/kansas/wichita/4-billboards-wichita-kansas-charge-police-deadly-swatting

Andy Finch is dead. If you believe in justice, it's time to file charges.​

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
What the fuck is wrong with these people? Hopefully everyone involved sees some gaol time. And why the hell did police just shoot an unarmed man in an anonymous tipoff? When someone says 'swatting' I assume that meansactually trained armed response teams in general? Bit of control might be needed.

Apparently you shouldn't think or plan murdering someone personally, or hiring a hitman. Just anonymously inform on them to the police and make up a dangerous situation.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Well, if i was a betting man i would wager that the victim was a black man and thats why the SWAT team shot him dead :p

Gauche

Aug 16, 2016
CannibalCorpses said:
Well, if i was a betting man i would wager that the victim was a black man and thats why the SWAT team shot him dead :p
Victim was Andrew Finch

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I've always said that it's not a matter of "if" but "when" a death is going to result from swatting, and here it is. Really messed up.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
We all knew this would be the end result of this sort of "prank". I'd like to hope that this would give future swatters second thoughts about what they're doing, I won't be holding my breath though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
How about 20 years in prison for both of these complete wastes of space? If only because it's not yet possible to bring their victim back to life by slowly torturing them both to death.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Charge them with murder. Because that's what this was: murder by cop.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Jesus Christ, what is the matter with people?! I swear, they'd better lock up these scumbags up for life. Bet they'd be real popular in jail...

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
How... does this happen? Like, the guy doing the phone call was claiming HE was the one with the gun, according to that video in the second link, and presumably gave the wrong address, that he got from the guy he was pissed off at. But he was calling from a completely different address right? Do they not check where the phone call is coming from and see something doesn't add up? Shouldn't they have gone to HIS address?

So then some poor sod opens his door, gets shouted at by a bunch of cops leveling guns at him, is rightly confused and probably scared and then gets shot for doing basically nothing?

Just... what?! The level of incompetence and mishandling of this whole situation is baffling. Everyone involved needs to be investigated and probably receive jail time, the two COD morons, the officers, the whole lot. Fucking insane.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
With SWATing they usually report highly dangerous situations that the police don't have the luxury to verify every time if they want to save the supposed at risk lives. The individuals involved are often all very confused and the police going in are expecting possible resistance of the armed kind. It's just a muscle twitch away and it's not a situation anyone wants to happen. The fuckers who used an innocent man in the crossfire of infantile aggression and general bullshit need a death penalty for fucking with another life.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
JoJo said:
We all knew this would be the end result of this sort of "prank". I'd like to hope that this would give future swatters second thoughts about what they're doing, I won't be holding my breath though.
You give these inhuman garbage sacks too much credit. It'll spur people on more than anything I'm sure, because this is how some "people" choose to function (And I use "people" with the biggest quotations. Had to kill someone to save your life? Eh, I get it. Lost $1.50 in a bet and someone else got killed over it? Fuck em, no sympathy, no respect). Can't wait for some no life internet fucktards to see this as an opportunity because their mental imbalances inhibit them from understanding the value of someone else's life

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
When someone says 'swatting' I assume that meansactually trained armed response teams in general?
Depends on the police force, some of them seem to want to be one of the cool police forces so they get a bunch of guys some black gear and call them SWAT.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok 3 questions:
1. What kind of asshole do you have to be to stick the SWAT team on someone over $1.50?
2. What kind of incompetent police force goes in guns blazing based on, what I presume, is a vague anonymous tip?
3. What the hell did that asshole tell the tip line (or whatever) to get the police to charge out to that address?

This is why both the police and gamers don't have a good rep. people.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I would blame two factors for this shooting. The first is the extreme irresponsibility of both people involved in the prank call - the first for providing a fake address, and the second for going through with the prank. The second factor would be that the police officer apparently interpreted a man lowering his hands to waist-height as a threatening gesture.

America has a severe problem with how police interpret "threatening gestures", because in America, almost anyone can be carrying a gun and almost any motion with the hands towards a place where a gun might theoretically be concealed can be interpreted as them reaching for a gun. And officers are trained to shoot first. That's how innocent people get shot in the doorway of their own homes.

But, as said, the ultimate responsibility lies with the pair who instigated the call in the first place. Swatting is an incredibly dangerous practice, and too many assholes do not realise this.

Hawk of Battle said:
How... does this happen? Like, the guy doing the phone call was claiming HE was the one with the gun, according to that video in the second link, and presumably gave the wrong address, that he got from the guy he was pissed off at. But he was calling from a completely different address right? Do they not check where the phone call is coming from and see something doesn't add up? Shouldn't they have gone to HIS address?
Phone tracing isn't usually done that quickly. Police don't have devices on hand that trace cell phone calls to their point of origin. They would have to get in touch with the service provider and find out which cell towers were being used and then take a guess at the location from there.

They could get the billing address of the cell phone's owner fairly quickly, but that's just the billing address. It isn't reliable at all. If the police are assuming they're dealing with a criminal, they will assume the billing address is inaccurate.

In an emergency situation, where you are literally deploying a squad of guys as the call is being made, none of that is feasible.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Jesus christ. How is SWATting not illegal now? They seriously should charge that ************ with murder or manslaughter, god damn.