Man Spends Three Years Walking to The End of The World (Of Minecraft)

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Never heard of this or even played Minecraft, but it certainly sounds cool. The idea of a faraway, unreachable mystical land, if even only in a video game, is certainly exciting. And I'm all for this if it's for charity.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
...WHY
He's got like 300 episodes of this. They're (from what I can see) all half an hour long. It's just walking. Just walking. Who thinks this is a good idea, and who watches it?

Jayzuz.

Lord of the Rings fans? Ba Dum tish!

All kidding aside, I think this is a great idea. One, his youtube channel pulls double duty as both social commentary and an admittedly boring lets play, and, two, he is engaging the game in a way that is fun and unique to himself. So, I don't see where any problems exist from this, and wish him the best of luck.... Although I do hope he manages to do it in less than 22 years, as that seems a bit off putting to me. Also, is the walk speed that slow? 3.8 kph seems like a bit less than a leisurely stroll.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Deadlywere said:
And not a single mention of the fact that this is all done in the name of charity. OP, shame on you.
My first thought as well. He's raised well over $100k for Child's Play charity. That's the main reason he's doing it. Not just for the fun of walking in Minecraft (although some of the terrain generation stuff is pretty interesting).

At this point though, the video is so twitchy due to floating point precision that it's nearly unwatchable. It's better to just leave on as a podcast and not watch the video unless he comments on something particularly interesting that he sees.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I've been aware of this for a while, keeping tabs on him throughout his journey. Hard to believe it'll take so long to reach the end of the world. It'd be a shame if his save file corrupted or something, but I'm sure he has backups for backups.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
No mention, at all, that he's done this for Child's Play charity? That he's raised over $200,000 bucks for sick kids doing this? You literally removed the most important part of this story from your article, the thing that takes it from an odd curiosity piece to something that actually has a pretty damn noble goal.

The New Yorker even managed to cover that aspect. Should I go to The New Yorker if I actually want the full story on gaming news now? Please try and make some mention of this fact eh?

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
wombat_of_war said:
amazing that someoe has spent that long walking virtually to explore strange new worlds when most people couldnt be assed to walk down to the corner shop
Actual walking requires significantly more calories than virtual walking.

I'd love to live somewhere where walking to the store is a pleasant experience; where I live it's not, so I drive to the store, then drive to the gym for my exercise.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I remember when I first learned about the farlands thinking how cool it would be for someone to actually walk the whole distance legitimately, then it occurred to me how ridiculous that would be and I dropped the idea. Loe and behold someone is actually doing it. It's a shame he has to stick to a early beta version of the game, having a horse would really speed this process up.

Kirtap

Apr 25, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Normally with these kind of obsessive fan things I'm thinking "cool, it's their time, it's nice that someone's that into a game". But this is just...such a waste of time. Just to find out what has already been found. The sheer quantity of time involved is staggering.
It is being done for charity so I wouldn't say it's a waste.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Avaholic03 said:
Deadlywere said:
And not a single mention of the fact that this is all done in the name of charity. OP, shame on you.
My first thought as well. He's raised well over $100k for Child's Play charity.
Well crap, I knew he was doing the world a favor with his mission, but... dang. $100k you say? If he continues this for more years or so on, it'll reach like... $500k or even 1 million. You never know, but that is dead on awesome in my books.

Don't stop now!! Keep walking the blocky terrains and reach the end of the world, of Minecraft man! :)
Actually, after reading the article, it turns out he's over $250k raised so far. I had no idea it was that high.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Use_Imagination_here said:
This show actually raised several hundred thousand dollars for charity, so I'd hesitate to call it a waste of time.

And even without that it's not different from any other lets play, except longer. You're being awfully arbitrarily judgmental considering that this is just a youtube series.

He's clearly entertaining a couple dozen thousand people every video. Probably more productive then you, anyway.
Perhaps you missed the part where someone spends the next 22 years holding down a key. I came here with two notifications ready to give civilised replies until I saw that last bit. And you're calling me arbitrarily judgmental. Screw you, you don't know the half of it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
And we will find that he has a knapsack with full of basic supplies...and a pair of large revolvers at his sides. One day soon, he will reach it. The Dark Tower beckons him onward, even in his dreams.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Well, I suppose a podcast without video should theoretically be even more boring, since there's no visual at all. I suppose what he's doing is just radio, with a sort of a screensaver. I see no problem here.

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
William Smidt said:
What an absolute waste of time.
"Posts: 1"

D- Did you make an account for the express purpose of dissing a guy's YouTube show? A show that's basically a pseudo-podcast + Minecraft for charity?

What an absolute waste of time.
Indeed . . .

*EDIT* Didn't think to check the join date before posting that. My bad. */EDIT*

OT:
This is pretty cool. I think he may have another subscriber in his ranks.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Mirrorknight said:
Strazdas said:
wait, isnt miencraft world limit controlled by the human? at least in servers i saw there was always a limit and in some of them not that large one which acted as "Game boundaries" of sorts that did not allow you to move past that. or does he just go without any limitations and hope that the script generating blocks will crash on itself?

also how do we know that its 22000 km limit there? why the game does not generate it after that?
Basically at the 22000km point, the Java code hits its limit, cries salty, bloody tears, and says "No More." At that point, the numbers and maths used to generate the random terrain become too big for the game code to handle, and causes game crashing lag, and odd land generation, which causes the large barrier in the picture.

The only reason we know that this is the case, as mentioned in the article, is that you used to be able to cheat and teleport to it. As alluded to, it would take a person a long ass time to actually reach that point naturally, and you never have to worry about if you're just playing the game normally, and you'd have to play an older version, because they changed the code so they're removed.
then its processing power problem. if we got a computer capable of handling this "calculatino lag" to the point of just plowing through the problem by sheer power we could go further.

144 said:
Well, I suppose a podcast without video should theoretically be even more boring, since there's no visual at all. I suppose what he's doing is just radio, with a sort of a screensaver. I see no problem here.
Podcasts without video need not be stared at during play. I listen to Dismal Jester while im cleaning my house (and thus my neighboars hear it too they want to or not). I often listen to escapists podcast while playing a game that does not require sound awareness (grand strategy games really dont need to have sound at all to play well). Meanwhile that kind of podcast is a mix of, its too boring to watch, but just listening kinda defeats the point of him walking to the end of the map.

May 29, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
This show actually raised several hundred thousand dollars for charity, so I'd hesitate to call it a waste of time.

And even without that it's not different from any other lets play, except longer. You're being awfully arbitrarily judgmental considering that this is just a youtube series.

He's clearly entertaining a couple dozen thousand people every video. Probably more productive then you, anyway.
Perhaps you missed the part where someone spends the next 22 years holding down a key. I came here with two notifications ready to give civilised replies until I saw that last bit. And you're calling me arbitrarily judgmental. Screw you, you don't know the half of it.
...Okay? I'm sorry if I offended you but I was just pointing out that even if it's just a lets play with no purpose he's still entertaining thousands of people and it's very odd to call it pointless.

I certainly wasn't judging you for anything, much less insulting. I don't know you. Read "probably".

you don't know the half of it.
Seeing as I don't have the slightest idea who you are, no.

Statistically, it's a factual statement. Most people aren't going to do anything anywhere near as productive with their time. I found it a tad off that you were calling something comparatively extremely productive "pointless".

Perhaps you missed the part where someone spends the next 22 years holding down a key.
I didn't actually, it's just not in any way relevant. The point of the series is basically commentary and the charity drive. It's not about reaching the farlands. That would be absurd, he's not expecting us to be watching it 20 years from now.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Ok, fair enough. I just thought the time could be spent doing something, even in Minecraft or whatever, that hasn't been discovered yet. But I did miss the charity focus the first time round. Fair point.

May 29, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Ok, fair enough. I just thought the time could be spent doing something, even in Minecraft or whatever, that hasn't been discovered yet. But I did miss the charity focus the first time round. Fair point.
It's cool, it was really bad phrasing on my part anyway.

And the charity drive wasn't actually mentioned in the original article for some reason, despite that being pretty much the point of this so I can't blame you.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
FarLands or Bust! is one of the only Minecraft channels I follow. I don't watch every episode but sometimes I like listening to him ramble on about things in the background while I do other things.

I wonder if he will ever make it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Seinfield: The Minecraft Edition: 0.8% More Walking: 25% Off: I just learned what a colon was this morning from my wife: Her name is Maria: Fat.

See how boring this is making me? And I'm not even watching it.

Why would someone do this? Seriously. Why? Just... uuuuugh.... wwwaaaaaaaiii???