Man Steals EVE Online Cash to Pay Real Debts

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Man Steals EVE Online Cash to Pay Real Debts

Scandal broke (again) in the world of EVE Online as a respected virtual banker embezzled funds to sell on the black market in order to make ends meet in reality.

Richard, an Australian EVE Online player and father of two, was the in-game CEO of EBank, the largest player-run financial institution in the game. In a world where success often comes not by cooperating but by backstabbing and undermining, Richard and his corporation managed to eke their way into the ranks of the few genuinely trusted entities in EVE.

However, when he received an advertisement for one of the game's black market economy services - trading in-game items and currency for real-world money - rather than brushing it off as a nuisance like most MMOG players do, Richard got an idea. He proceeded to embezzle approximately 200 billion ISK (EVE's currency) which he then sold via the black market for $6,300 Australian dollars (USD 5,100). Said funds went to cover a deposit on a home Richard was buying, as well as medical expenses for his son.

Of course, the theft didn't go unnoticed for long. When players learned of Richard's embezzlement, they began a run on the bank, fearing that their hard-earned cash would be stolen as well.

Richard's account was banned by developers CCP - not for stealing the money, which is allowed in the game's rules, but for selling it for real-world money - which is not.

While Richard expressed regret for letting down his fellow EBank staffers - many of whom he considered genuine friends - he said he would probably have done the same thing if given the chance to relive the situation. He has no plans to return to EVE Online any time soon.

(Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE56141L20090702?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0])

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Wow this has given me more inspiration not to return to MMOs. The risks in this one in particular is huge.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Gormourn said:
Lost In The Void said:
Wow this has given me more inspiration not to return to MMOs. The risks in this one in particular is huge.
How is that a risk. It's fake money, that you don't even have to put into some kind of a "guild bank" in most MMOs.

Neat way to get some cash, though. Bwahaha.
Yeah, he should of sold the lot of it all at once and gotten millions.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Gormourn said:
Lost In The Void said:
How is that a risk. It's fake money, that you don't even have to put into some kind of a "guild bank" in most MMOs.

Neat way to get some cash, though. Bwahaha.
Yes but the work you have to do for that cash is sometimes immense. I wouldn't know how hard it is to get cash in EVE but still massively annoying at best when someone steals your stuff

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Said funds went to cover [...] medical expenses for his son.
I have a hard time condemning him, if for no other reason than this. Wouldn't we have done the same?

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
This man is officially my hero. Does anyone have his address, so that I might send him a cake?

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I lol'd. This guy is now my hero. I love when people get all worked up about fantasy things.

Helnurath

Nov 27, 2008
Hahahaha, First rule of Eve Online: Trust no one, not even friends, always expect the worst Second rule of Eve Online: If it sounds too good to be true, it probabily is.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
He has no plans to return to EVE Online any time soon.
Don't think EVE Online have plans for that either by the looks of it.

Whilst I see why he did it, I can't sympathize with him for it really. As much as it was for his own debt, it is still not allowed and can ruin both the players and the company who make the game. Gold farming is just wrong in my opinion, and I can't change that.