Man Sues BBC Claiming Copyright On Doctor Who's Dalek Leader

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Oh...yeah. did I ever tell you guys how I created Lex Luthor? Here's some sketches. MONEY PLEASE!

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Celtic_Kerr said:
Eri said:
At first I was readying my copyright troll bat, but then, This might be an upset.
Here is my question: why did he wait 35 years to sue them? The moment that shit came out, he should have stepped on it. However, he waited till the show go huge, till the villain made a lot of profit, and now he can collect more. However, Copyrights last what? 20 years - 30 years unless renewed? He might have shot himself on this

EDIT: Just noticed that he lost the sketches
I acknowledge the edit, but in regards to copyright expiration it really depends on the country. In some places it lasts until 70 years after the creators death.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Cheesebob said:
Wha...What stops me from drawing a dalek and doing the same thing?
Carbon dating?
The scale on Carbon dating it like what? millions/thousands years? 36 years is like nothing in terms of it.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
There should be a time limit on these things. After 10 years its' because his life hasn't turned out the way he wanted it to and now he wants money. Midlife crisis baby.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm almost certain that all these contests have an IP release clause that basically says "We own your shit".

It's also important to note Davros was a fan creation set in the Dr. Who Universe. Though he thought up Davros, Davros still ORIGINATED from Dr. Who, so control of Davros stays with those who control the IP that birthed him.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Um... I don't think it matters, even if it legitimate. There's no date mark, hasn't been authenticated in any way. For the case to hold any hope you kind of need an official-ish, outside party to have it on record somewhere.

Might be OK if he sent it by registered post, but it's out of the envelope now, which I doubt he kept.

So sorry dude, nifty if you did, but next time get a lawyer to stamp it. And give him a cape.

Reaganomics

Russian Roulette Runner-up
Jun 14, 2010
That paper is amazingly well preserved for being over 30 years old, folded in half and lost for 20 years.

I'm guessing this guy is making the whole story up.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
Let's see, we need a half-man/half-Dalek-casing monster.

*Draws a guy riding about in a Dalek base like a genocidal wheelchair.*
*Draws a guy wearing a Dalek top half like he was Dark Helmet.*

Yeah, I know which one we're going with for our evil mastermind, all right.

Richard DiTullio said:
Last I checked Davros and the Daleks are still the property of the estate of Terry Nation and every time the BBC wants to use them they have send the Nation estate a check. The guy isn't even suing the right people.
Oh, no, he's suing the right people. The ones with the most money.
But BBC will just say " We do not own the IP, They do " So therefor they can not be sued for misusing the copyright the person who gave the rights for them to use it did.

If I buy an IP from someone and he has stolen it from someone else. How am I supposed to be able to know that they been stolen? It is like saying: I bought a gun that been used to shoot someone, I didn't know it was used to shoot someone. Someone goes around looking for the gun, they find the gun at my possession therefor I am the person who used it to shoot someone.

It is not a crime to buy something that is stolen, unless you are aware it has been stolen. At least according to Finnish law.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
TimeLord said:
I was all ready to call bullshits when I read the title.
But if he can prove that the idea was his from the start, someone at the BBC is doomed!
DOOMED I SAY!

Especially if they decide to bring back Davros somehow.
If?
Like the Master, Davros does not die.

OT: I'm not buying it. If he found the sketches in 1990, why not sue when Davros was brought back in 2009? Why wait until now?
Also, as has been said, the paper is far too white to look like it was used in the '70s. Hell, newspapers from last month would be yellow by now.

(different pulping method, I know, but still)
The type of paper that was common back then doesn't exist anymore (far as I know). If the paper has TitaniumDeoxide whitening then it is a modern printer paper. Also if the paper contains small traces of plastic (which almost all under 100g/m^2 copy papers almost do, to reinforce the paper) then it is a modern paper. If the paper can be soaked and it doesn't dissolve it is a modern paper. Because I doubt he had access to Animation quality paper (over 180g and hard pressed to be smooth)

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I can't help but wonder if he didn't wait after rediscovering them in order to gain maximum profit. If he'd sued when he first found them, they'd have stopped using the character and his royalties would be miniscule.

Or, he could just be a guy who has finally decided to stand up for himself. :)

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
Sorry dude, but if I were a teenager in the seventies and I found out that my character was in Doctor Who, I wouldn't sue. I'd be fucking overjoyed.
Same here man, especially if it was the leader of the sodding Daleks. Although I probably would've liked to have been recognised as the creator at the very least.

So I think its fair to just have the guy be acknowledged as the creator and leave it at that.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Easy Solution:

Contact The Doctor, have him go back to 1972 to see if this person did in fact draw Davros. if he did, have The Doctor take the picture and tear it to shreds, thus unmaking Davros and saving the BBC and the Doctor a lot of grief.

Also: APRIL 23RD!!!!!

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
TimeLord said:
I was all ready to call bullshits when I read the title.
But if he can prove that the idea was his from the start, someone at the BBC is doomed!
DOOMED I SAY!

Especially if they decide to bring back Davros somehow.
If?
Like the Master, Davros does not die.

OT: I'm not buying it. If he found the sketches in 1990, why not sue when Davros was brought back in 2009? Why wait until now?
Also, as has been said, the paper is far too white to look like it was used in the '70s. Hell, newspapers from last month would be yellow by now.

(different pulping method, I know, but still)

The type of paper that was common back then doesn't exist anymore (far as I know). If the paper has TitaniumDeoxide whitening then it is a modern printer paper. Also if the paper contains small traces of plastic (which almost all under 100g/m^2 copy papers almost do, to reinforce the paper) then it is a modern paper. If the paper can be soaked and it doesn't dissolve it is a modern paper. Because I doubt he had access to Animation quality paper (over 180g and hard pressed to be smooth)
Someone knows about paper. That's pretty... cool, actually.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Azuaron said:
Ghengis John said:
Cheesebob said:
Wha...What stops me from drawing a dalek and doing the same thing?
Carbon dating?
You can't carbon date to tell if something came from 1972 or 1975. Three years is too close (carbon dating estimations have errors of 40 years or more), and it hasn't been enough time for carbon dating to be effective anyway (typically need several centuries, minimum).
I never said it could tell us the difference between 1972 and 1975, I said we could use it to tell the difference between something made in 1972 and 2011.
My apologies.

But it still can't, since that's still within the 40-year error and still hasn't been enough time for carbon dating to be effective (typically several centuries, minimum).

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Could try a dating technique on the paper; as paper is usually used within a few years of being made it would be improbable that he would have kept a sheet for 36 years. Add that to the fact that it is impossible for an adult to write like a child (muscle memory has become to advanced) and i'm sure there would be a way to scientifically prove if the picture is genuine or fake.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
So back around 1990 I would make Mega Man villains and draw them out. Once I drew one called Spring Man and it looked just like the Spring that would appear in Mega Man 7.

*sigh* I guess I should sue Capcom.