Man Surfs Shark

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Man Surfs Shark

A man surfing off the coast of Oregon found his surf board replaced with a three-meter-long great white shark.

According to Doug Niblack, a surfer of six years, he was trying to catch one last wave before going to work when his longboard hit something as "hard as a rock." The "something" in this case, turned out to be a great white shark. Niblack stumbled, then found himself on the back of the shark as it thrashed back and forth, presumably quite upset because someone had just hit it with a surfboard. Niblack remained atop the shark for three or four glorious seconds - presumably with this track [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3JEORDUEqc] playing in the background - before submitting to gravity and absolute terror and falling off.

"It was pretty terrifying just seeing the shape emerge out of nothing and just being under me," he told the Associated Press. "And the fin coming out of the water. It was just like the movies."

Now it all sounds a bit suspicious doesn't it? Especially the part where he mentions that this took place before work. "I accidentally surfed a shark," sounds like a hastily composed excuse for turning up late to work if I ever heard one. However, Niblack's story was confirmed by off-duty US coastguard Jake Marks, who claimed that though he didn't see the Shark, he did see Niblack "Suddenly stand up with water churning all around him."

"I have no reason to doubt there was a shark out there," said Marks. "With the damage to his board, the way he was yelling and trembling afterwards - there is no other explanation for that."

Niblack claims to have taken the encounter in his stride, and he's even added a jolly little "no sharks" sticker to the bottom of his longboard, but he hasn't gone back out in the water quite yet. "I'll definitely go back out," he said. "It's just the surf sucks right now. I'll wait until that gets better, then go back out."

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oct/13/man-surfs-great-white-shark]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now that is awesome. And by awesome I mean shit-my-pants-out-of-terror awesome.

the spud

May 2, 2011
The shark didn't ask for this...

Also, this isn't that impressive. I once rode 3 sharks while doing the tango. While on fire

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I am finding it difficult to come up with a good "jumped the shark" pun, give me a bit.
OT: Well that's pretty impressive, and to come out of it with all limbs intact is even more impressive.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
If no one else saw the shark, how do they know it was a Great White?

Unless Great Whites are the only sharks in the area...

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Now that's what I call a fish story. "I swear you guys! It was long enough to ride on! And I rode it! Woulda had him too if the damn Coast Guard hadn't showed up and pulled me off him!"

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
This man has ascended to godhood. I hope he has fun being all transcendental and shit. He can surf on space whales and universe endings now, actually.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
the spud said:
Also, this isn't that impressive. I once rode 3 sharks while doing the tango. While on fire
Oh yeah? Well, I once rode 7 sharks, while juggling 30 flaming knives strapped to chainsaws. While being a BEAR.

On another note, this man now has a good story to tell his grandchildren if/when he gets a few.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Sounds like something the Most Interesting Man in the World would do... or the RiDQulous ads for Dairy Queen.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Sharks arent that tough or scary. Tell me when this man fights a honeybadger.

still, pretty cool, I suppose. be more cool if he actually did it on purpose and made it the official 8 seconds. Though i cant imagine that was comfortable on his feet.

the spud

May 2, 2011
The Thinker said:
the spud said:
Oh yeah? Well, I once rode 7 sharks, while juggling 30 flaming knives strapped to chainsaws. While being a BEAR.

On another note, this man now has a good story to tell his grandchildren if/when he gets a few.
So? I once fought an alien on the wings of an Boeing 747 in flight using a flaming hot baked potato as a weapon while eating a bear

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
the spud said:
The Thinker said:
the spud said:

So? I once fought an alien on the wings of an Boeing 747 in flight using a flaming hot baked potato as a weapon while eating a bear
Big deal. One time I rode 12 sharks who were all piloting robot dinosaurs, while battling pirates with nothing but two cheese graters and some hot grease, while balancing 30 plates on my head, reciting Shakespeare and ending world hunger with my feet. And I was eating wizzard bears.[h4]IN SPACE.[/h4]

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Phlakes said:
This man has ascended to godhood. I hope he has fun being all transcendental and shit. He can surf on space whales and universe endings now, actually.
I wish this board had a like button. You'd get one just for referencing space whales.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
How do we know that this guy isn't just an enormous pussy and it was actually an escaped dolphin?