Manhunt 2 Banned in the U.K.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Pyronox said:
I just checked a video about executions from Manhunt 1-2 and frankly I'm disgusted.

I never thought I'd actually say that about a game with violence, but the way the victim reacts, the tools used and the time it takes for killing them is just wrong.
I found manhunt boring around half way through, while violence didn't bother me, it certainly wasn't enough to keep me hooked. For an hour or so you're gonna be knocking on walls and bashing someone's head open...

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Dr.Kay said:
Beery said:
This sort of thing makes me ashamed to be British.Outright banning of them is not - it's a crime against freedom. I doubt I'd ever play a game like Manhunt 2, but I demand the right to make that choice for myself.
Good gosh, "WHAA my gonvernment bans a game", grow up man.

And besides, you're being very close-minded, you're just crying about not getting a game you want without thinking about it as a whole.

Okay, there are plenty of games which have you kill. Counter-Strike, Assassin's Creed, Half-life, Condemned, Manhunt to name a few. But are they centred around killing? Lets see...

Counter-Strike: Killing an opposing team, thats right, TEAM. Its a TEAM-based game, it requires communication and team-play skills.

Assassin's Creed: Roaming through a sandbox environment to commit to your task as an assassin. The theme is the sandbox play of course.

Half-Life: A unique physics engine where you're saving the world whilst killing the combine in your path. No need to point out again the theme of physics engine and umm..WORLD SAVING.

Condemned: A thriller which has you act as an invesitgator battling with your own psyche as despendable homeless come at you. Its a psychological game.

Manhunt: A game where you kill people..........and....um...OH SNAP! ITS A GAME JUST ABOUT KILLING PEOPLE IN BRUTAL WAYS. Did that EVER occur to you? People at Rockstar sat down and collaborated, talked about and generated a game for over a a year soley about KILLING PEOPLE. No sandbox, no team-play, no unique physics engine etc. Its simply KILLING PEOPLE. I'm a hardcore gamer, and as a true gamer (your language here I'm guessing) I refuse to offer money to a game which has no structure to it other than randomly murdering cosplayers.
nicely done

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
ffxfriek said:
Dr.Kay said:
Beery said:
This sort of thing makes me ashamed to be British.Outright banning of them is not - it's a crime against freedom. I doubt I'd ever play a game like Manhunt 2, but I demand the right to make that choice for myself.
*snip*
nicely done
Hey, you do it for a t.v show and to stop the murder of your family.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I believe my friend brought this the other day, and that I saw it in HMV in Exeter

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
This is strange to hear since I remember seeing a couple of copies of Manhunt 2 in the rental section of my local video shop not too long ago.

About banning grotesque violence in the media, if they had absolutely no problem with any of the five SAW films then why should they give a rat's ass about manhunt?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Dr.Kay said:
Avida said:
Dr.Kay said:
Beery said:
Good gosh, "WHAA my gonvernment bans a game", grow up man.

And besides, you're being very close-minded, you're just crying about not getting a game you want without thinking about it as a whole.

Okay, there are plenty of games which have you kill. Counter-Strike, Assassin's Creed, Half-life, Condemned, Manhunt to name a few. But are they centred around killing? Lets see...

Counter-Strike: Killing an opposing team, thats right, TEAM. Its a TEAM-based game, it requires communication and team-play skills.

Assassin's Creed: Roaming through a sandbox environment to commit to your task as an assassin. The theme is the sandbox play of course.

Half-Life: A unique physics engine where you're saving the world whilst killing the combine in your path. No need to point out again the theme of physics engine and umm..WORLD SAVING.

Condemned: A thriller which has you act as an invesitgator battling with your own psyche as despendable homeless come at you. Its a psychological game.

Manhunt: A game where you kill people..........and....um...OH SNAP! ITS A GAME JUST ABOUT KILLING PEOPLE IN BRUTAL WAYS. Did that EVER occur to you? People at Rockstar sat down and collaborated, talked about and generated a game for over a a year soley about KILLING PEOPLE. No sandbox, no team-play, no unique physics engine etc. Its simply KILLING PEOPLE. I'm a hardcore gamer, and as a true gamer (your language here I'm guessing) I refuse to offer money to a game which has no structure to it other than randomly murdering cosplayers.
Why did you post on a thread that has been dead for a year and a half?!
Lol, Avida: WHAAA YOU BAD-MOUTHED MY FAVOURITE GAME, I'M GONNA RANDOMLY PULL OUT AN IRRELEVANT COMEBACK.

And besides...Ummm.....why did YOU? O-O-O-O-OWND xD
Please report this man...

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Wasn't that the game that had those murder scenes like, made all white and red, blinky'y and things like that?
And this got banned, and Manhunt (1) didn't, which didn't have censored death scenes?

ChristmasChild

Dec 4, 2008
stop cryng and get over it. It is not illegal to persay PLAY the game, just to purchase it in Britan. Order it online, from an American seller.

Naterstein

Oct 18, 2008
Yeah Manhunt 1 seems worse for sure, I briefly played Manhunt 2 on my Wii and was quickly disinterested by the minigame required to murder someone.

ZP---Fanatic

Dec 29, 2008
Pyronox said:
I just checked a video about executions from Manhunt 1-2 and frankly I'm disgusted.

I never thought I'd actually say that about a game with violence, but the way the victim reacts, the tools used and the time it takes for killing them is just wrong.
Geee M-A-N-H-U-N-T A 2 very violent Game,I THink the title gives it away (no offence) :D

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I realise that the Dr. Kay resurrected a dead and now-irrelevant topic given that it was edited, rerated and sold but I completely agree with Beery said. I believe that I should have the right to choose what I play.

I coincidently bought this yesterday for the Wii and find it a fun game. The edits that were made appear to be in tune with the psyche of the rest of the game, washed out colours random sick death noise and flashes - in fact it sometimes makes it worse because your brain fills in the blanks by using the disgusting noises as a basis for imagination. However I am annoyed that I have to look hard to actually see what's happening. I think that it was wrong to have been banned/edited in the first place, given that Manhunt 1 was not and, like has been said, I can see far worse things in films.

gaara9999

Jan 7, 2009
I dont see why they`d ban it i mean they kept movies like mirrors or the exorcist so why ban this i see they never stopped GTA or Driver 3!

gaara9999

Jan 7, 2009
still even when you look at the back of the box it kinda gives you the creeps i never bought number one and i don`t intend to but it cant be as bad as some parts of the exorcist or the jaw rip scene in mirrors can it? anyone can prove me wrong the scene in mirrors had no need and was terribly gooey sad and well depressing

Medinburgh

Mar 4, 2008
Goddamn. You people know how to overreact!
Yes, I'm fully aware that this topic is in it's Golden years now and that Manhunt 2 has in fact been released on Wii and PSP (but not on 360 or PS3...which makes me sad) but seriously, what's the big deal?
Yes, it's violent. So are most games on the market.

Dr. Kay, your comparisons list was just plain foolish:
If they wanted to just make a team based game which wasn't centered on killing, you and your team-mates wouldn't all be carrying guns. You work as a team to kill the enemy. (Also, see: Left 4 Dead)
Assassins Creed was you being an ASSASSIN...
Condemned: you used the phrase "despendable homeless", I'm not sure if it's supposed to be dispensable or expendable, but either way that means you're killing them, you are also doing it with a variety of easily obtainable "weapons" such as guillotines from paper cutters, pipes, conduits, axes etc etc

Games these days ARE VIOLENT. That's the long and short of it. The only difference between violent games and violent films is that you control the violence, rather than observe it and it's this which governments have problems with.
The issue I have with the whole thing is that it shouldn't be up to a democratic government to decide a nations opinions, it's up to the government to fully inform the public and let the public tell them what to think.
It's the job of parents to regulate what their children see/play etc. That's why they have ratings on the damn things. I've played Manhunt, I've played other violent games but you don't see me going out on any given day of the week to slaughter innocent bystanders in the name of good fun or venting anger (I stay hidden).

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Good man hunt is a fucking stupid game that should be called : serial killers guide to being a sick douche bag.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
OP said:
"Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end videogames by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."
Well, this is true enough, isn't it?
Manhunt isn't very fun, either, so I personally would have no real problem with it being censored or not...

Medinburgh said:
Games these days ARE VIOLENT. That's the long and short of it. The only difference between violent games and violent films is that you control the violence, rather than observe it and it's this which governments have problems with.
The issue I have with the whole thing is that it shouldn't be up to a democratic government to decide a nations opinions, it's up to the government to fully inform the public and let the public tell them what to think.
Actually, that's not really how it works.
If a party runs primarily on a platform of censoring all violent media, and wins the election to whatever, the should censor all violent media - that's why the people elected them. And that's how democracy works.

If they all vote for a party which aims to decide their opinions... Democratic paradox?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Fraught said:
Wasn't that the game that had those murder scenes like, made all white and red, blinky'y and things like that?
And this got banned, and Manhunt (1) didn't, which didn't have censored death scenes?
Because Manhunt 2 has "more" violent executions than Manhunt 1. To be honest, I actually liked Manhunt 2. I rented it with a free rental coupon as something to make fun of. I enjoyed the predictable story, but I would never actually buy it.

Medinburgh

Mar 4, 2008
anti_strunt said:
Medinburgh said:
Actually, that's not really how it works.
If a party runs primarily on a platform of censoring all violent media, and wins the election to whatever, the should censor all violent media - that's why the people elected them. And that's how democracy works.

If they all vote for a party which aims to decide their opinions... Democratic paradox?
Now that I look back at it, yes, what I said is ridiculous.
I suppose the point that I really wanted to make is that the public should make their own decisions on it. If they don't like it or think it's too violent then they shouldn't buy it, hopefully dissuading the creators from making similar titles.
Also, when things get banned, they get a HELL of a lot more publicity, most of the public would have probably never heard of Manhunt 2.