Manhunt 2 Banned in the U.K.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Manhunt 2 Banned in the U.K.

Manhunt 2 [http://www.bbfc.co.uk/general/index.php], meaning the title cannot be legally sold anywhere in the U.K.

Both a PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii version had been submitted for classification, and both were rejected. While the BBFC typically recommends modifications to games in order to accommodate particular ratings, in the case of Manhunt 2 this proved unfeasible.

"Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly," said David Cooke, Director of the BBFC. "Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the material which contravenes the Board's published guidelines. In the case of Manhunt 2 this has not been possible.

"Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end videogames by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

The original "18" [http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt/] in 2003, but according to Cooke, it "was already at the very top end of what the Board judged to be acceptable at that category." He said the game's "unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying," in conjunction with a "different overall narrative context," differentiated Manhunt 2 from it's predecessor and resulted in the ban.

Carmageddon [http://www.rockstargames.com] in 1997.

As well as the BBFC, Manhunt 2 has also been banned by the ESRB [http://www.ifco.ie/] in North America.

Beery

May 26, 2004
I think the British Board of Film Classification ought to realise that Britain is supposedly a free country. Banning artistic expression is not the mark of a free society. This sort of thing makes me ashamed to be British. If a game is unacceptable the CONSUMER is perfectly capable of making that decision for himself. We are not children who need to be constrained from making poor decisions by some government or industry-sponsored censor.

In short, classifying games is fine. Outright banning of them is not - it's a crime against freedom. I doubt I'd ever play a game like Manhunt 2, but I demand the right to make that choice for myself.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Dr.Kay said:
There are more horrific things in the cinema on a regular basis, with no more story and intention. Manhunt did have a story, although killing was a large part of that, it was no worse than many other games.

This is just a case of the BBFC avoiding controversy after the murder that was blamed on the first game.

requiem408

Jan 12, 2009
my my... all that work that corporation did to try and improve the outlook of the overall manhunt experiment after all the hell put onto the first game and they still get nowhere. they killed everything that was sublime about that game and turned it into something mediocre at best. im sorry but that whole 'foggy lens' bit still bothers me, it certainly takes away the point of killing a game person for kicks... makes it more of something one would rather just run through than takes their time with and savor. thoughts?

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
This is VERY old news, so much so that i swear i saw this in shops the other day *searches* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_2 ... Looks like it, bottom line first paragraph. Or do you mean they are being recalled?

Edit: Oh crap, thread necromancy, my bad

requiem408

Jan 12, 2009
hmmm that's a fair enough point to make. After all that people have heard and seen regarding that game i suppose most wouldn't bother playing to begin with.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Dr.Kay said:
Beery said:
This sort of thing makes me ashamed to be British.Outright banning of them is not - it's a crime against freedom. I doubt I'd ever play a game like Manhunt 2, but I demand the right to make that choice for myself.
Good gosh, "WHAA my gonvernment bans a game", grow up man.

And besides, you're being very close-minded, you're just crying about not getting a game you want without thinking about it as a whole.

Okay, there are plenty of games which have you kill. Counter-Strike, Assassin's Creed, Half-life, Condemned, Manhunt to name a few. But are they centred around killing? Lets see...

Counter-Strike: Killing an opposing team, thats right, TEAM. Its a TEAM-based game, it requires communication and team-play skills.

Assassin's Creed: Roaming through a sandbox environment to commit to your task as an assassin. The theme is the sandbox play of course.

Half-Life: A unique physics engine where you're saving the world whilst killing the combine in your path. No need to point out again the theme of physics engine and umm..WORLD SAVING.

Condemned: A thriller which has you act as an invesitgator battling with your own psyche as despendable homeless come at you. Its a psychological game.

Manhunt: A game where you kill people..........and....um...OH SNAP! ITS A GAME JUST ABOUT KILLING PEOPLE IN BRUTAL WAYS. Did that EVER occur to you? People at Rockstar sat down and collaborated, talked about and generated a game for over a a year soley about KILLING PEOPLE. No sandbox, no team-play, no unique physics engine etc. Its simply KILLING PEOPLE. I'm a hardcore gamer, and as a true gamer (your language here I'm guessing) I refuse to offer money to a game which has no structure to it other than randomly murdering cosplayers.
Why did you post on a thread that has been dead for a year and a half?!

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Dr.Kay said:
Lol, Avida: WHAAA YOU BAD-MOUTHED MY FAVOURITE GAME, I'M GONNA RANDOMLY PULL OUT AN IRRELEVANT COMEBACK.

And besides...Ummm.....why did YOU? O-O-O-O-OWND xD
Ive never played the thing, i was just hella confused when i saw the headline - i'd already seen the game sold on PSP, and now i look like a tard XD. Anyway, really, tricking the community is baaaad. Only gonzo's are allowed to do that :p

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Dr.Kay said:
Good gosh, "WHAA my gonvernment bans a game", grow up man.

And besides, you're being very close-minded, you're just crying about not getting a game you want without thinking about it as a whole.
That's particularly obtuse of you. Not only do you misrepresent Beery's statement, but you do so with the petulance worthy of a spoilt child, and completely miss the point of the issue at the same time. Censorship is an insidious practice which actively restricts the rights of citizens. In China the general populace is unable to access what we would consider very basic information, both via the press and the internet. Galileo was censored by the Church for challenging Geocentricity, not because they didn't believe him but simply because they didn't like what he had to say. The infamous Spanish burning of the Maya Codex remains one of the worst criminal acts committed against a people and their cultural heritage.

By sanctioning censorship you are declaring the belief not only that a populace does not have the right to decide whether they want to be voluntarily exposed to various forms of media, but that they are also incapable of making that decision for themselves. The obvious paradox arises that the censors themselves are as equally flawed as those they are 'protecting', and historically have been either government or religious bodies with definite bias to their own agenda (the book burnings in Nazi Germany and Inquisitorial Europe and the Americas are a fine example).

What makes you think that you or anyone has the right to restrict the freedom of individuals to pursue an interest in any subject-matter?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I don't want this game, there is no reason for it to exist honestly, this game should come with graphic warnings on the front of the box and if children are caught playing it, their parents should be sent to jail for a week

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
I don't want this game, there is no reason for it to exist honestly, this game should come with graphic warnings on the front of the box and if children are caught playing it, their parents should be sent to jail for a week
Obvious troll is obvious. Also, this is 2 years old, why are we discussing it?

GackleBlax

Sep 26, 2008
THIS IS THE MOST EXCITING FUCKING THREAD IN THE WORLD, and it doesnt seem to be as interesting as it should be, any controversial comments, anyone?