Manhunt and Bully Landing on PS4 as HD Re-Releases

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Manhunt and Bully Landing on PS4 as HD Re-Releases

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1300/1300906.png
Manhunt and Bully have been added to the European PlayStation Store as HD PS4 re-releases.

While Rockstar is obviously best known for Grand Theft Auto, the company has produced a number of titles over the years, many of which have earned just as much public ire as its famous crown jewel. Take <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6-Manhunt>Manhunt and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83125-Brazil-Bans-Bully>Bully. Swapping out GTA's theme of urban crime for ultra-violent snuff horror and high school hijinks, both inspired controversy and, in the years since, have become cult classics. Now, thanks to a surprise re-release on the PS4, their (European) fans can enjoy them with modern amenities.

The new PS4 editions were released today without so much as a word of advance warning from Rockstar. Ports of the original PS2 games, both titles have been upscaled to 1080p high definition and equipped trophy support. Currently available only in Europe, it's likely that upcoming store updates will also bring the re-releases to North America. Manhunt is currently being sold for 11.99 pounds sterling (about 17 US dollars) while Bully is retailing for 14.99 (about 21 US dollars). We've reached out to Sony for more information about a North American release.

Just speaking personally as a big Manhunt fan, I'm super excited about the prospect of playing the games in an HD format. What I'll be interested to see are the trophies added in. With its focus on stealth and gory executions, Manhunt could be perfect fodder for some interesting trophies. Here's hoping they don't kill the mood the though. That game had a great atmosphere and it would be a shame for it to be spoiled by annoying pop-ups in the corner of the screen.
[gallery=6049]

Source: Gamespot

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I wonder (just for kicks). Does Manhunt happen in the same universe as Bully? Is the Manhunt character the same as the one in Bully, but several years later? It would be funny, but it's just a theory...

Feb 7, 2016
I might consider picking up Bully on PS4 if/when it's released in the US.

I enjoyed it on my PS3 years ago, but it was a bit fuzzy, so I picked it up on PC when on sale but was completely disappointed at the issues the port had. (huge audio issues, graphic glitches, controller support was minimal at best)

Never played Manhunt before. I hear it's alright, but I feel like I'd get bored with it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:

I enjoyed it on my PS3 years ago, but it was a bit fuzzy, so I picked it up on PC when on sale but was completely disappointed at the issues the port had. (huge audio issues, graphic glitches, controller support was minimal at best)

Never played Manhunt before. I hear it's alright, but I feel like I'd get bored with it.
The nice thing about Bully on PC is there's a few mods that fix the GFX issues. I never had problems with the controller but then I've been using a 360 controller for years so that might be it. Never had audio glitches either.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
DeliveryGodNoah said:

It's a fairly intense stealth game in the early to mid-portions. Really nails the feeling of being completely outmatched in a horrible situation. As it reaches the later stages though, it makes the unfortunate error of switching over to shooting gameplay that's kind of dull at best. I imagine that portion probably hasn't aged the best.

Feb 7, 2016
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

The nice thing about Bully on PC is there's a few mods that fix the GFX issues. I never had problems with the controller but then I've been using a 360 controller for years so that might be it. Never had audio glitches either.
Audio issues mostly happen if you use a surround sound setup. Unfortunately, EVERY setup I own is either 5.1 or 7.1 surround, and switching it to stereo doesn't seem to fix it. Things such as being able to hear EVERY SINGLE CHARACTERS FOOTSTEPS AT ONCE, regardless of their location. And voice audio either being too quiet or too loud, also seemingly regardless of actual character distance.

Controller issues popped up for me when it came to turning quickly, as Jimmy keeps turning on a radius even when you stopped turning the joystick, like controlling a tank. Never was able to fix that.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

Audio issues mostly happen if you use a surround sound setup. Unfortunately, EVERY setup I own is either 5.1 or 7.1 surround, and switching it to stereo doesn't seem to fix it. Things such as being able to hear EVERY SINGLE CHARACTERS FOOTSTEPS AT ONCE, regardless of their location. And voice audio either being too quiet or too loud, also seemingly regardless of actual character distance.

Controller issues popped up for me when it came to turning quickly, as Jimmy keeps turning on a radius even when you stopped turning the joystick, like controlling a tank. Never was able to fix that.
Ouch. That can definitely hurt the game overall. Glad I never ran into those issues.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
PC needs versions of these games that run well on modern machines, also Red Dead Redemption.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
StewShearer said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:

It's a fairly intense stealth game in the early to mid-portions. Really nails the feeling of being completely outmatched in a horrible situation. As it reaches the later stages though, it makes the unfortunate error of switching over to shooting gameplay that's kind of dull at best. I imagine that portion probably hasn't aged the best.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I loved the beginning and middle portions of the game, but I never even finished it because the shooting was so bad (it was either dull, frustrating, or both).

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
I hope Manhunt HD hasn't done the Silent Hill HD thing of making all the messy textures all clean and sterile; it'd really kill the atmosphere.