Many of the best Si-Fi movies have nudity?

craftomega

New member
May 4, 2011
546
0
0
Has anyone else noticed this?

EG:
-SuperNova
-Total Recall
-Lifeforce
-Starship Troopers

I wonder if this is because people belive that boobs will make people watch there movies?

Or if they are trying to have a semi accurate view of the culture (From the history/story of the movie)


Thoughts?
 

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
18,664
3,586
118
craftomega said:
I wonder if this is because people belive that boobs will make people watch there movies?
More or less. Lots of movies shoe-horn nudity into them.

Well, certain kind of nudity. Watchmen had a naked guy on screen a few times, and by the reaction, you'd think that was the only thing in that movie.

By contrast, when they made Avatar they went to great lengths making a sexy lizard cavewoman thing or whatever, and nobody complained about that...rule 34 of it is fucking everywhere.

...

Honestly, it's embarassing. IMHO, it's a plus if the movie doesn't contain a fanservice character pretending to be a romantic partner for the hero.

EDIT: And Starship Troopers was not one of the best movies, with or without a shower scene involving Dina Meyer.
 

Ed_Fox

New member
Jan 27, 2010
31
0
0
I dunno, some of my favourites have none: Star Wars, Sunshine, Moon have non at all... But I think at least one scantily clad woman, is a major theme in sci-fi film
 

Esotera

New member
May 5, 2011
3,400
0
0
I think sci-fi in general is pretty relaxed towards the attitude of sexuality. It doesn't really advance the plot point in the examples you've listed, but it doesn't go against it either...it fits in with the universe that is being portrayed.

Also people are more likely to pay for nudity.
 

NoeL

New member
May 14, 2011
841
0
0
I don't remember Aliens having nudity...

EDIT: Jesus Christ, I KNOW the Xenomorphs don't wear clothes, I was talking about human nudity. You can all stop quoting me now. My inbox will thank you.
 

gellert1984

New member
Apr 16, 2009
350
0
0
Something to remember is that Sci-Fi writers tend to be pretty liberal, the really good ones teach/taught something sciencey (usually physics) at university. Take star trek, read the books and you'll see that Deanna Troi wasn't the only person getting action on the Enterprise.
 

babychic

New member
May 7, 2011
3
0
0
Did bride of the monster have nudity?
Did plan 9 from outerspace?

bah. Cheap trick to sell tickets. Thats what nudity is.
 

ThatLankyBastard

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,885
0
0
I know all my favorite movies have nudity, hehehehe...

But seriously, sex sells... Although your examples aren't the best to prove the point it's still a relatively valid fact.
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,863
15
43
thaluikhain said:
craftomega said:
I wonder if this is because people belive that boobs will make people watch there movies?
More or less. Lots of movies shoe-horn nudity into them.

Well, certain kind of nudity. Watchmen had a naked guy on screen a few times, and by the reaction, you'd think that was the only thing in that movie.

By contrast, when they made Avatar they went to great lengths making a sexy lizard cavewoman thing or whatever, and nobody complained about that...rule 34 of it is fucking everywhere.

...

Honestly, it's embarassing. IMHO, it's a plus if the movie doesn't contain a fanservice character pretending to be a romantic partner for the hero.

EDIT: And Starship Troopers was not one of the best movies, with or without a shower scene involving Dina Meyer.
nudity isnt that bad...at least when it has a point
 

Vivi22

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,300
0
0
Samus Aran but a man said:
In my opinion, none of those 4 movies are really great.
Have to agree with this. Honestly, if you look at many of the most seminal and genre defining sci-fi movies made throughout history, you'll find very few have any nudity. I've only seen two of the ones listed, though looking up the other two on wikipedia it doesn't seem as though they would have been anything special either, and certainly didn't seem to be received very well.

Frankly, a lot of sci-fi is utter garbage, and that tends to be the stuff that is more likely to cram in naked people to try and get more asses in seats. The stuff that could legitimately be called the best either doesn't do that, doesn't have to, or the nudity is actually handled in a way that it serves some purpose beyond giving some teenage boys a boner.
 

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
18,664
3,586
118
Jerram Fahey said:
I don't remember Aliens having nudity...
The original Alien was to feature Sigourney Weaver running around in frill pink space undies until she complained.

Vault101 said:
nudity isnt that bad...at least when it has a point
I'd agree with that, but the vast majority of times it doesn't.

IMHO, this tars it all with the same brush, even if its absolutely vital to the story, it'll be viewed through the lense of half of every fucking movie ever made seemingly having nudity it pretends is vital to the story.
 

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
510
0
0
If you read much classic science fiction, several of the greatest authors featured far more sex and/or nudity in their books than you will see in the film industry outside of porn.