Many of the best Si-Fi movies have nudity?

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
marscentral said:
It's not a film, but the pilot episode of Stargate SG1 has full frontal nudity. The DVD was rated 18 in the UK which confused me until I watched it.
Whaaat? I've watched a lot of SG1 and I don't think it had any nudity. Maybe they cut it out for prime time TV?

OT: None of those are particularly good sci fi movies. However, I do like them boobs.
Yeah, they edit it out for TV. I don't know about other parts of the world, but it couldn't be broadcast in the UK as it is on the DVD. Certainly not when Stargate was usually on, even post watershed I think it's pushing it.

thenumberthirteen said:
Damn! How could I forget that? Yeah that was out of nowhere. Though it was, apparently, because Showtime (the network who funded it) wanted some nudity, and didn't really get the show at all. It was removed for the director's cut though.

It's like if in the pilot episode of a new series of Star Trek they in had a scene where the Science officer and Chief Engineer striped down to their underwear and started rubbing lotion on each other. That'd just be stupid...
I had no idea why it was in there, it certainly is out of place, even in the episode let alone the series. It makes that scene in Enterprise look pretty tame though.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Kendarik said:
direkiller said:
Star Trec(5th movie)
The 5th ST movie never happened. It was just a bad dream.
It dose lead to some funny reviews of it though

http://sfdebris.com/startrek/film5.asp

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/34026-star-trek-5-the-final-frontier

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
This is one of those stupid ideas that are made invalid simply by considering how many great films, sci-fi or otherwise, have no nudity.

This is completely pointless.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
TheAbominableDan said:
Fire Daemon said:
Bladerunner (somewhat debateable I guess)
It's not debatable. Blade Runner has nudity.
Yes, of course. I don't know how I forgot that. Do you have anything to add besides pointing out my error, however?

letfireraindown

Jul 28, 2010
Kendarik said:
craftomega said:
Has anyone else noticed this?

EG:
-SuperNova
-Total Recall
-Lifeforce
-Starship Troopers
That makes my brain hurt. I don't consider any of those "best sci fi", those are all B movies (although fun to watch).

B movies often throw in nudity as a selling point because they know their content is weak.
Kendarik has my exact point. It's been kinda a selling point of B movies and through the eighties, that went into a lot of movies that were contained in sci-fi and horror/slasher genres. I think that's even where the trope of virgins surviving horror films came from.

Happy_Mutant

Jun 16, 2011
Many of the best movies in general have nudity. Many do not. Many terrible movies have nudity. Many do not. I don't think that there is a hell of a lot to extrapolate here.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
TheScientificIssole said:
No Moon? No 2001? Those are you're great science-fiction movies?
Moon is amazing.
direkiller said:
Kendarik said:
direkiller said:
Star Trec(5th movie)

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/34026-star-trek-5-the-final-frontier
Thanks for this, that dude with the glasses is hilarious. Best thing I've seen on the web today.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Jerram Fahey said:
I don't remember Aliens having nudity...
The original Alien was to feature Sigourney Weaver running around in frill pink space undies until she complained.
Um... was to?

I suppose they might have removed the frills at her complaint, but... yeah. Those are pink (light pink, but still pink) space undies all right. She spends the entire last scene of the movie running around like that.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Star Wars didn't have nudity and its way better than any of the movies you listed. Also, Sci-Fi movies aren't the only genre to have nudity. In my opinion, the more nudity and/or sex scenes present in a movie, the weaker the actual content and story of the movie. This is because people know that "sex sells" and with the lack of content, they feel the need to try and compensate by adding in sex scenes so people will watch their movies. Take out the sex scenes and you aren't left with much worth watching.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
what about the Star Wars series?
I haven,t seen them all but as far as I know they don,t have nudity.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Chased said:
TheScientificIssole said:
No Moon? No 2001? Those are you're great science-fiction movies?
Moon is amazing.
direkiller said:
Kendarik said:
direkiller said:
Star Trec(5th movie)

Thanks for this, that dude with the glasses is hilarious. Best thing I've seen on the web today.
yea that guy with the glasses is an amazing site. Your probably gonna need just a weekend to get though the Nostalgia Critic reviews(think he is rounding 200 of them most of them are better then that review Battlefield earth is probably his best one). Let alone the outer people on the site.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I don't recall The Thing, Moon or 2001 having much nudity.
Soviet Heavy said:
Half of those movies were Paul Verhoeven flicks. That explains your answer.
Seconded. They're Paul Verhoeven B-movies, they're bound to have nudity.
Fire Daemon said:
How could you miss topless Arnie xD?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I'm not up on sci-fi movies today.

But old sci-fi comics did happen to have a really bad tendency to put half naked, tanned Caucasian women on the covers way back when.

It was pretty embarrassing.