March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
Balobo said:
Tell me this; are those flash games have anywhere near the cult following of Minecraft? Have they made millions of dollars?
Lets take "Crush the castle 2" for example, today only on Armorgames it has 18,769,647 plays (its predecessor has 21,140,449), if they would have a fee on playing it and if its just a few Dollars, than yes it would have made Millions and considering that there are already two different "Map Packs" out I guess there is a good following aswell.

The fact is that those games are without a fee and their finished, Those people make the game without gain, however I guess they got some Ad income, other than Notch downright selling an unfinished game.

Balobo said:
Most of Bioware's games felt like chores to me. I guess each person has different preferences.
Wow that is almost trolling, are you honestly defending the hours upon hours of gaming just to build even the simplest things, the time you spend digging tunnels, without anything else that might distract or entertain you, basically living in a death world populated by creatures that want you death, with a "Oh yes game xyz was a chore", without even any explanation why?

Sure it was tedious in, for example Mass effect 2, to travel to planets, scan them and so on..but yeah you don't need to do that and suprises, if you set your Mind on it how long does it take, well maybe half an hour, if you simply scan those planets for missions, because you can already buy all upgrades when you drain a few planets of their resources.

So lets see maybe one hour of resourcemining in ME 2 against hours upon hours of Cobblestone crushing...hrrmm...that..is indeed hard to decide which is the chore here.

Now don't go ahead with some bullshit argument that you can use tnt to mining, because that is, suprise, just another chore, you need to kill creepers, which is either done by Sword or by bow, now the problem is that either basically have cons, arrows are pretty expensive when you think about, as flint just drops with a very low percentage out of gravel, that means you either rebuild gravel and break it again or you find more gravel to dig and so on.
Than you need feathers, which you either gain by killing zombies, which are preatty easy to kill, or Sceletons, which can be hard, seeing as you either waste ~more~ ammunition on killing it than gaining or you go in and kill it of in close combat, probably taking one hit, because it still takes two swings to kill it, you can of course kill chickens, but than you won't get any eggs.

Now you already worked at least ten minutes for a bunch of arrows, now you can go kill creepers, so it takes around 5 Arrows to kill a creeper, as you can pick up misfired arrows I won't count those as waste, but the bad thing is that you never only encounter creepers, but mostly a bunch of mobs together and, you don't know how much gunpowder they drop, maybe 1 every two kills, if you are lucky 2, if you are unlucky you gain a few portions of gunpowder, while wasting thousands of arrows.

So you finally got your 5 gunpowder portions so you craft a tnt and you want to mine with...wait whats that..you mean..wait what?
Ohh yes, tnt for mining is completely useless, because it destroys most of the blocks in the explosion, you know..just like in real life, where we use explosions to mine certain resources, because it totally destroys most of it in the process.

As Yahtzee already said, the only satisfaction you feel, is because it takes so much time to build things and thus you feel great, when you have done it, even if it is a complete waste of time.

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
No offence to all of you minecraft addicts out there, but Bioware should've won that one. Minecraft is technically not a finished game. Bioware has produced more games, damn near all of which have been extremely popular. Plus, the one's they've released are finished products. A lot of money went into those games as well. Very good visual graphics, decent stories, and not to mention the voice actors they used (I swore up and down that one of the NPC voices I've heard was the same one that Dr. Sinclair from Freelancer had.) I mean, take a look at Steve Blum. A very active voice actor, though I'm guessing that only a handful of you have heard of him. He played 4 NPCs in Mass Effect 2 (one of which is very important, though I'll not spoil it for those who don't know/have not played ME2 [if those who have/have not played ME/ME2 are still curious, then use wikipedia.])

A major shocker for me, but if you guys like unfinished repetitive games, then by all means, knock yourselves out.

ayailla

Forever invading Himuro mansion
Jul 14, 2009
So, have they chosen winners yet? The thread where they said they'd announce the winners has... vanished.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Mackheath said:
...So a company that hasn't finished a game at all beat companies that have finished about three in the time they haven't even cleaned up theres?

Congrats to them, but to be frank I think that is bullshit.
I think someone's a sore looser Mack ;)

IamGamer41

Mar 19, 2010
TimeLord said:
Mackheath said:
...So a company that hasn't finished a game at all beat companies that have finished about three in the time they haven't even cleaned up theres?

Congrats to them, but to be frank I think that is bullshit.
I think someone's a sore looser Mack ;)
I think someone has no reasoning skills.

Swanea

Nov 7, 2006
Lol, Just terrible. Is minecraft a bad game? Not even close. It's a pretty fun little sandbox themepark. It's a game for gamers, and less about GIMME MONEY NOWA FOR DLC.

But it's one simple game. Against Studios that have produced games that have sold 10 million +++ copies of all their games combined.

This was at no point a contest of which was better in Bioware vs Mojang. It was which wasn't mainstream. Which group people liked more currently. I was under the impression Minecraft was first released to the public in 2009. Not 2010?

Yes, yes. I know. I'll get flamed for talking against Minecraft by the "in gamer" crowd. I have an account for minecraft, as do a number of my friends. None of us have played it since that first week or so if "fun new game" feeling. Yet I still often see many of my friends talk/kick up an old bioware game, or play DAO/ME2/DA2(meh on da2). Weird!

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Worst MM ever. Possibly the most obnoxious one I have seen. Let's see if this flavour of the month lasts a year. I think not.
I'm sorry that Mazty didn't get his way. 3DSMax should have won ;-;
Thanks for proving my point. The fact that you think that was my argument shows that no matter what was said, you were not going to see any other way other than what you wanted to see regardless of logic and reasoning.
Wait what? I thought all those rants were made trying to prove that 3DS Max is a better game than Minecraft and, as such, should be featured in March Mayhem.
Point proven x2
What point? I thought you hated games and only wanted to play rendering software.
http://www.medalofhonor.com/en_GB/stats?username=Mazty&platform=moh
Need I say more?
Point proven x3
So you're agreeing with me?
Please explain how you think what I said could be conceived as agreeing with you.
Medal of Honor isn't a game
Lol wut? how is it not a game? Explain better.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Avaloner said:
Balobo said:
Tell me this; are those flash games have anywhere near the cult following of Minecraft? Have they made millions of dollars?
Lets take "Crush the castle 2" for example, today only on Armorgames it has 18,769,647 plays (its predecessor has 21,140,449), if they would have a fee on playing it and if its just a few Dollars, than yes it would have made Millions and considering that there are already two different "Map Packs" out I guess there is a good following aswell.

The fact is that those games are without a fee and their finished, Those people make the game without gain, however I guess they got some Ad income, other than Notch downright selling an unfinished game.

Balobo said:
Most of Bioware's games felt like chores to me. I guess each person has different preferences.
Wow that is almost trolling, are you honestly defending the hours upon hours of gaming just to build even the simplest things, the time you spend digging tunnels, without anything else that might distract or entertain you, basically living in a death world populated by creatures that want you death, with a "Oh yes game xyz was a chore", without even any explanation why?

Sure it was tedious in, for example Mass effect 2, to travel to planets, scan them and so on..but yeah you don't need to do that and suprises, if you set your Mind on it how long does it take, well maybe half an hour, if you simply scan those planets for missions, because you can already buy all upgrades when you drain a few planets of their resources.

So lets see maybe one hour of resourcemining in ME 2 against hours upon hours of Cobblestone crushing...hrrmm...that..is indeed hard to decide which is the chore here.

Now don't go ahead with some bullshit argument that you can use tnt to mining, because that is, suprise, just another chore, you need to kill creepers, which is either done by Sword or by bow, now the problem is that either basically have cons, arrows are pretty expensive when you think about, as flint just drops with a very low percentage out of gravel, that means you either rebuild gravel and break it again or you find more gravel to dig and so on.
Than you need feathers, which you either gain by killing zombies, which are preatty easy to kill, or Sceletons, which can be hard, seeing as you either waste ~more~ ammunition on killing it than gaining or you go in and kill it of in close combat, probably taking one hit, because it still takes two swings to kill it, you can of course kill chickens, but than you won't get any eggs.

Now you already worked at least ten minutes for a bunch of arrows, now you can go kill creepers, so it takes around 5 Arrows to kill a creeper, as you can pick up misfired arrows I won't count those as waste, but the bad thing is that you never only encounter creepers, but mostly a bunch of mobs together and, you don't know how much gunpowder they drop, maybe 1 every two kills, if you are lucky 2, if you are unlucky you gain a few portions of gunpowder, while wasting thousands of arrows.

So you finally got your 5 gunpowder portions so you craft a tnt and you want to mine with...wait whats that..you mean..wait what?
Ohh yes, tnt for mining is completely useless, because it destroys most of the blocks in the explosion, you know..just like in real life, where we use explosions to mine certain resources, because it totally destroys most of it in the process.

As Yahtzee already said, the only satisfaction you feel, is because it takes so much time to build things and thus you feel great, when you have done it, even if it is a complete waste of time.
lol my opinions are trolling.

I'm just saying that people may find enjoyment in different things than you. They might not find it to be a chore. Also, your point about flash games is heavily flawed, considering that flash games don't require money and don't require registration, making them accessible by just clicking your mouse. They also, arguably, lack the amount of depth in Minecraft.

Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Worst MM ever. Possibly the most obnoxious one I have seen. Let's see if this flavour of the month lasts a year. I think not.
I'm sorry that Mazty didn't get his way. 3DSMax should have won ;-;
Thanks for proving my point. The fact that you think that was my argument shows that no matter what was said, you were not going to see any other way other than what you wanted to see regardless of logic and reasoning.
Wait what? I thought all those rants were made trying to prove that 3DS Max is a better game than Minecraft and, as such, should be featured in March Mayhem.
Point proven x2
What point? I thought you hated games and only wanted to play rendering software.
http://www.medalofhonor.com/en_GB/stats?username=Mazty&platform=moh
Need I say more?
Point proven x3
So you're agreeing with me?
Please explain how you think what I said could be conceived as agreeing with you.
Medal of Honor isn't a game
Lolwut. Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor_%282010_video_game%29
And why do you think it's not a game?
I just assumed that I could say that any game is not a game because you were doing it earlier.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
I just assumed that I could say that any game is not a game because you were doing it earlier.
So you are just spouting nonsense to stir up an argument? Isn't that called trolling?
I thought you were trolling earlier, too. I guess it's even now.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
Mazty said:
Balobo said:
So you are just spouting nonsense to stir up an argument? Isn't that called trolling?
I thought you were trolling earlier, too. I guess it's even now.
I wasn't, you were. Why I even bothered replying to any of your posts is beyond me...
The community almost unanimously agrees that you were trolling.