March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Ravinak

Nov 5, 2008
As much as I enjoy Minecraft, they shouldn't have been able to beat some of the powerhouses in the industry. This contest is a joke, but not because of the organisers, but because of a majority of thoughtless, unintelligent gamers who rush to the support of a developer who doesn't even have a completed game.

TomDJ

Mar 29, 2011
Key to winning the escapist magazine March Madness Bracket.

Step 1: Release unfinished game for free
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Fappy said:
Oh man! Obvious outcome was obvious! Underdog always wins on the Escapist... wait... damn that's kind of ironic.
Zynga lost last year, Valve and BioWare generally make up the final.

awesome_ninja said:
pft....pathetic
I never wanted to play minecraft and never will.... GMOD is 10 times better than this
/me blames fanboys *rolleyes*
So you're complaining that a game you've never played won and then saying it only won because of it's fanboys (which is obvious since fans vote for things they like).

Classy.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Wrds said:
I guess we know how to win a popularity contest now. Charge for beta + never release = lower expectations & huge profit.
Not quite.
It's a closed beta you get access to when you pre-order.
And how exactly does paying to get into beta and never releasing mean huge profit?
Notch simply struck gold, or perhaps diamond in this case, and gave consumers something they didn't even know they wanted.
I like minecraft as much as the next guy but this is just disappointing.
I can almost see the love oozing.

Seriously, why the hell do you people throw so much hate on notch and Mojang lately?
He made Minecraft, started pre-orders, and everything was fine.
Then Minecraft got really popular, and suddenly notch gets all kinds of retarded flack.
Sure, the tits complaining about not getting much new content and updates that fast I can understand.
They're just morons that doesn't understand that they're working on the framework around Minecraft.
Basically remaking the entire game to make it run better, be more compatible, be less erratic internally and more mod friendly, etc.
But the attitude that notch doesn't deserve his time in the spotlight is just stupid.
He's not Justin Beiber.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
You bunch of sheepeople, Minecraft is fantastic, and i love it, this is just trash that it beat companys that have produced full games...

How can they even be in the runing? that would be like me puting out a trailer for a movie im makeing and win awards for the movie i haven't even finished.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Duncan Belfast said:
*Fuckin SNIP!*
For an "outsiders" point of view you've pretty much summed it up right there, you even added references of solid logic to describe an entertainment industry.

There is one thing though, they can be compared somewhat fairly in some areas, pretty much any area that's subjective (as opposed to the absolutes of "more in depth story" or "more realistic graphics") can be one where you compare an Indie game to a AAA game on even ground.

March Mayhem is a fun little contest, the reason theres so much flaming is there is no set criteria to vote on. People usually say whoever made your "favorite" game, and some people like to go by who's made the "most" titles while others compare by lack of failure, but at the end of the day someone wins because they got more votes for a variety of reasons, thus, you can NOT say that ANY developer in March Mayhem "doesn't deserve" to win.

Edit: slight addition: I hate Zynga, ok, I hate them with a fiery passion and consider them a scourge on gaming. Yet I can still accept the fact that they "deserve" to win a March Mayhem as much as anyone else does, because they got votes for whatever reasons the voters felt like having. Same with Sony, Sony have fucked themselves over to the edge of hell imo, they still "deserve" to win just as much as Bungee, Bioware, Valve and Mojang do.

Please note this mini-rant is not actually directed at Duncan, he merely got me talking :p

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Andronicus said:
Long live Mojang!

This is just wrong, Square Enix was knocked out of the competition.
Until Notch composes or licenses some kind of victory fanfare, this will have to do.

Besides, I'd like to think that Nobuo Uematsu would be happy to lend his music to such a worthy title, regardless of where it was from first. Still, that's just me.

Square has some making up to do for FFXIII.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
XxRyanxX said:
Even though in my own post I have said this beforehand but- I agree with Caliostro: It was our pleasure to serve the Community and I volunteer 100% to be an Ambassador for next years March Mayhem if I were fortunate to be selected once more along with my crew :).
(Didn't honestly read the thread, so... didn't see your post. I agree then)

XxRyanxX said:
However, I wish to ask why you would want to have Kross banned for if I may ask? I know the guy kind of well so I am just curious is all, no offense taken to my question just wish to know why.

Techno Destructo

Jul 18, 2010
Mojang certainly had a lot to compete against, especially against Bioware(Which surprisingly defeated Blizzard!), and others like them. It's like Mojang popped up fast enough, but long enough to get such a good fanbase to win this matchup. And with only one game that has yet to finish beta! That's got to count for something, congratulations to them.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
I still will not understand the amount of love for Minecraft. You run around mining for resources by tediously destroying every bit of the world you come across, to build a base? I really can't play this game for more than an hour at a time per month.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Well, I guess this result means my choice in Bioware for winner was misplaced. That said, I have to give congratulations when congrats are due. Mojang, I think you took several of us by surprise this year, and frankly is anyone else deserved this I think it may have had to be you guys. God Speed to you Mojang, and hopefully we'll see you again next year!

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Congrats to Mojang! xD

They destroyed my bracket completely, but I don't mind because I'm a Minecraft addict anyway. >_>

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
then let us celebrate in the correct manner...
DEADMAU5' SONG ABOUT MINECRAFT 8D

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Yay! Good show Minecraft fans! Though I am sad that it meant Bioware, Valve and Konami had to suffer defeats, I am glad that inventive gaming still gets noticed enough to be rewarded.

Here's to next year and even better games making people fight like dogs on the internet.

Mass Effect 3 Vs. Portal 2 anyone?

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:
Don't you need to have actually finished a game before you can be called a developer?

I don't hate minecraft, I keep thinking about trying it out but come on.
This is the only thing that annoys me deeply. Mojang is yet to release their first full game and they win a popularity contest. I like minecraft but this made me lose all respect for whoever let mojang in on the March Mayem. don't count with my participation next year.