March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
So in the end, you're telling me that a company that has only released a shitty, half-finished Lego simulator beta beat out even a company that has a record as being one of the best developers in the business?

Its things like this that prove something is very wrong with the world.
Yes, something is wrong with this world because not everybody shares Paragon Fury's opinion. Oh god, it's awful.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Balobo said:
SteewpidZombie said:
Haha you're right, Nintendo DOES only make Nintendo games. That's probably why they're called Nintendo.
My point is they make the SAME crap every year. Basically just Mario rehash games, and stupid 'Party' or 'Puzzle' games...and ect. Nintendo just doesn't really try and do anything original or interesting to really improve the genre of entertainment.

Blast9

Mar 1, 2011
I'm a big supporter of Mojang and knew that there was an incredibly huge fanbase for Minecraft. I had them go far but thought, "Naaaaah, they could make it to the finals, but not stand up to Bioware in this community." Guess I was wrong! Would have been happy, whatever the result!

And thanks Escapist for the Publisher's Club subscription! A newcomer to the site because of MM is now definitely going to be spending more time here! :D

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Blast9 said:
I'm a big supporter of Mojang and knew that there was an incredibly huge fanbase for Minecraft. I had them go far but thought, "Naaaaah, they could make it to the finals, but not stand up to Bioware in this community." Guess I was wrong! Would have been happy, whatever the result!

And thanks Escapist for the Publisher's Club subscription! A newcomer to the site because of MM is now definitely going to be spending more time here! :D
YAY SOMEONE WHO ISN'T A COMPLETE DOUCHEBAG :3

Actually, there's a surprising amount of good sports in this thread. I'm surprised, MM usually turns this place into Something Awful (hurr durr).
Personally I'm disappointed that Mojang won, but then again the other devs didn't really do anything since last MM except a shit-ton of TF2 updates and maybe some other stuff I'm not aware of.
And NaughtyDog won my bracket, gnaw on that.

Lateinos

Nov 23, 2009
We should have seen this coming really. It's the first developers war after people knew what Minecraft was on a bigger scale. To those who are butthurt: Don't worry. The Minecraft fans should be sated now, and next year's contest will probably be a very different story.

As for me, I'm fine with this. I didn't see all that much I liked this year besides Minecraft Beta really.

Vyce

Chaos Dragon
Mar 19, 2009
I'm surprised and amused, I thought all the match ups Mojang would have to go against were unfair fights and they were going to be shutdown early.

Oh how wrong I was. lol.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Haydyn said:
In my mind, this proves:
March Madness is a joke
People are way too obsessed with Minecraft
Bioware releasing Dragon Age II greatly hurt their chances of winning
...which is exactly why they didn't win. fair and square my friend.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
awesome_ninja said:
Duncan Belfast said:
awesome_ninja said:
pft....pathetic
I never wanted to play minecraft and never will.... GMOD is 10 times better than this
/me blames fanboys *rolleyes*
You are aware that you can't truly assess the quality of something you've never tried, right?

This is bothering me more than it should. There are people out there that actually think they can form opinions about things they've never tried. Where did you even get the multiple of 10 from? How can you assign a value to something you haven't measured?

This is very troubling. What if people applied this kind of thinking to real life? What if a doctors gave a diagnosis without actually seeing the patient? What if juries found defendants without hearing their cases? What if airline pilots attempted to fly without communicating with other pilots and air traffic control? What if voters arbitrarily decided which party to vote for, without considering either party's stance on current issues?

Does this mean you have to play MineCraft? Only if you want to form an opinion about it in relation to other games. Can you not play it, saying it's probably not for you? Absolutely. Did I need to write an essay about the importance of forming opinions based on information? The line of thinking in your post says yes.

/sperg
ok, you know what? I did play minecraft, ok? I didn't buy it, but I chose not to buy it because:
1) It has no updated demo
2) It isn't even complete
3) It has no story
4) I already own GMOD which is more advanced

Sorry, but Mass Effect 2 is a gazillion times better than this. Minecraft is ok, but it's nothing more than pixel art....
I can't even get it how people can love ....this....this....crap.

Also, THIS:
Im Nightmare said:
There is no reason why Mojang should have made it past the first round besides the amount of fanboys.
*rolls eyes* ME2 is same old same old. DA2 was their undoing. get over it.

... yes I'm tired as hell.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Burningsok said:
Haydyn said:
In my mind, this proves:
March Madness is a joke
People are way too obsessed with Minecraft
Bioware releasing Dragon Age II greatly hurt their chances of winning
...which is exactly why they didn't win. fair and square my friend.
Um, what? I wasn't really rooting for anybody. It's just when I saw Bioware made it to the finals, I thought for sure they couldn't win after DA2. I'm not bitter or anything, if anything it's just one more thing to get back at Bioware for making DA2 overall worse than Origins.

Fitzcaraldo

Member of three secret societies
Feb 2, 2011
Ahhhh... my first March Mayhem has come to an end. Gratz Mojang, you did well to win. Also, thanks for the PubClub membership Escapist!

mnjiman

Jun 21, 2008
I doubt Mojang will win next year if that makes up for this year. Considering the only thing they are working on is some kind of card game... i doubt it will do well.

Di'kut

Mar 28, 2011
Is it just me or was this years March Mayhem by far the least interesting one The Escapist has held? It's kinda like no one actually gave a fuck other than Notch who posted about it on his Twitter. But maybe that's just me, here's hoping The Escapist doesn't fuck up next years March Mayhem as badly as this years with brackets and what not.

norwegian-guy

Jan 17, 2011
awesome_ninja said:
pft....pathetic
I never wanted to play minecraft and never will.... GMOD is 10 times better than this
/me blames fanboys *rolleyes*
I do hope you'r being ironic.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
'yaaaay'.

I was glad to see Mojang beat Nintendo.
But I was sad to see them beat Valve...
But I was glad to see them beat Bioware....
/conflicted