March Mayhem 2014 Bracket Submissions Are Open

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
as always, i voted for companies i personally liked rather than those that i think will win, and as such i have no chance of being correct.

As you can see, Paradox is the winner, which means there is no chance in hell im going to be right.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
My predictions are always horribly wrong.

Maybe it's cuz I keep voting for Bioware at every opportunity.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
TKretts3 said:
Can't wait to see Lucas Pope sky-rocketed to the top at the last minute by thousands of Russian youtubers. :)
As for my vote, Firaxis takes the cake. Sadly, they're up against Nintendo. :(
I'm with you man. D:

To make things worse, I voted for Volition over Blizzard.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
lacktheknack said:
This is a popularity contest. There are no rules. You may vote for any reason. You may vote for a company because they made your GOTY 2013. You may vote for a company because of their charity work. You may vote on a company based on which protagonist had the best hat. You may vote based on how many Vs are in the company's title.

Please don't talk about how "unfair" it is that people aren't voting based on how you arbitrarily decided people should vote. It's a popularity contest. It's about which companies you like, not what they've done.
There should at least be a rule that companies which have already won a bracket are excluded from future contests. At least for a couple years, anyway.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sylocat said:
lacktheknack said:
This is a popularity contest. There are no rules. You may vote for any reason. You may vote for a company because they made your GOTY 2013. You may vote for a company because of their charity work. You may vote on a company based on which protagonist had the best hat. You may vote based on how many Vs are in the company's title.

Please don't talk about how "unfair" it is that people aren't voting based on how you arbitrarily decided people should vote. It's a popularity contest. It's about which companies you like, not what they've done.
There should at least be a rule that companies which have already won a bracket are excluded from future contests. At least for a couple years, anyway.
Why?

There's no reason to do that.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
lacktheknack said:
Sylocat said:
lacktheknack said:
Why?

For the sake of balance. If you're going to have the same couple fandoms swamping the polls year after year, there's no reason to have a contest at all.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Sylocat said:
lacktheknack said:
Sylocat said:
lacktheknack said:
Why?

For the sake of balance. If you're going to have the same couple fandoms swamping the polls year after year, there's no reason to have a contest at all.
That's not what's happened, though.

First year: Turbine won because they alerted the troops, beating out Harmonix. Much rage was had.
Second year: Turbine won again, as above, beating out Bioware. Much rage was had. Bioware would continue to be the runner-up every time afterwards.
Third year: There was a terrifying 4Chan infused slap fight to take down Zynga. We did so (with much blood), and Valve won the final less-consequential round.
Fourth year: Mojang dark-horsed everyone. Much WAT was had.
Fifth year: The only really boring one, where Valve harmlessly won.

Notice how none of the years minus the first two played out even remotely similarly.

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
Strange to see only 16 devs in the tournament this year. I thought the whole point was that this was mirroring March Madness with 64 teams in it? I preferred the 64, those first two rounds were fun when picking out potential dark horses or seeing the big names get a run for their money from the tiny devs. With only 16 though, there isn't as much variety; all the AAA devs are big names and all the indie devs have a devoted fanbase.

You could argue that they've just gotten rid of the first two 'useless rounds' and we're only left with the potential winners, but it was fun seeing all the names who had at least a shot at winning, even if they never would realistically.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Gamefreak beats Irrational on my bracket. It's the first time I had to eliminate Valve on round 1. I feel dirty.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I had to vote for Irrational Games. I keep replaying Bioshock 1 and Infinite like they're the only two games in existence.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Well, I'm voting based on who put out the better actual content in the last 12 months. But since this is the Escapist, I assume Valve will win.