Marijuana - Advice?

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Hi folks, I have a huge problem with weed...

Woah woah woah, don't jump to conclusions. I never said I smoked it. In fact I never have, and I don't want to. Truth be told I hate it and I get mad at my friends who do. I'm a 19 year old university student. You'd think I'd be all into it, right? My mom even takes it in pill form legally from the government for medical reasons.

I know it's a lot less harmful than for example drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes, and I don't have an issue with those things. So why do I have such a quirk with weed? My girlfriend and I have talked about it before, she's done it a few times and I told her it made me uncomfortable that she did, and I asked her to stop. She said she would because she respected the fact that it bothered me. Although, sometimes I wonder if she still does sometimes. I don't like that it bugs me to the point of distrust.

Logically it makes no sense, I know it's not that bad for you,(compared to other legal substances, anyway) I'm okay with drinking/smoking, my own mother takes it (legally), and I've never had a bad experience, or known a friend who had a bad experience with it before. So what's my problem?

If anyone has any advice for me, or even less likely feels the same way I'd like to hear about it. Thanks guys.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Sounds like you had the problem I did a year or two back. You don't dislike the smoking of weed because according to your moral compass it is wrong, you dislike it because the law deems it to be wrong. I literally had no other reason for disliking it than going "THE LAW IS MORALLY RIGHT RAWR". A year later I slapped myself with a fish and decided what was right and wrong on my own.

If you don't have any problems with it due to it's physical effects or mental ones, then that is really all I can put it down to.

weker

May 27, 2009
I think weed is not allowed as it is harmful to your health, just like drinking and smoking, only difference is the government won't remove them as their firmly in our culture. Personally it should not be allowed but if that's the case neither should drinking or smoking, or the alternative which I prefer is both weed be legalized.

Only downside to excessive use is it has been claimed to cause psychosis.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
I don't know why you think like that, but I agree with you. It's strange. Like you, I don't object to drinking, and I guess I don't mind smoking as long as you do it where I can't smell it. Yet somehow the marijuana thing bugs me too, and for no apparent reason.

Maybe it's because we're taught that it's bad, and because it's illegal. Maybe we don't like it because we fancy anyone that uses it recreationally is a criminal. Maybe it's something else. I don't know.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I don't see the problem with people smoking it to be honest. I've never smoked it myself, but have had the oppituity too. If someone offered me it, i don't know what i'd say, probably No, but It doesn't cause as much damage as most of the legal drugs on the market. Quite a lot of people take drugs in my town, most of it worse, But as long as you're not being forced to do so, whats the problem? It is worse for you to take it than not take it, and it is addictive so you could argue that...

Honestly, i don't know what to think.

ranyilliams

Dec 26, 2008
well what you are saying is that you seem to have a prejudice towards it... This is probably because all of your life all anybody told you was that "weed is bad."

One of the reasons that you probably think that it is bad is because marijuana is still technically illegal. You even said yourself that you are more open towards more harmful and addictive substances that were legal.

What i recommend is that you try it. Having an opinion that is highly negative about something and never having done that thing yourself is just silly and somewhat backwards in my opinion. Especially if you are going to inflict your opinion on other people that matter to you and are close to you.

I know a lot of people who have tried marijuana and have hated it. But i know more people who have tired it and loved it. Everyone is different, btw if you are going to try it, you have to do it more then once. Alot of people dont feel anything the first time.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ranyilliams - Yes in fact I was about to bring up that point in my original post, the whole "you can't judge something you haven't tried". I completely agree, it's just when it comes to weed I just can't bring myself to do it. I have such a predisposition to it. That and I'm in the Army. If I'm caught I will get kicked out and charged. I had this feeling about weed long before I joined the army so I don't think the threat of being kicked out of the military factors into my feelings either.

I understand the point of "you probably have a problem with it because it's illegal" and yes that makes sense, but it feels like I have a much bigger problem with it than anyone else, even if they agree with it being illegal.

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
NightmareLuna said:
Honestly, to me, you sound like any other normal bloke. You do not have a problem, you just sound a bit... nervous?, maybe it is not the right word for it but you know... Nervous over something you have not tried and there are so many different opinions about.
Like a, "fear of the unknown" sorta thing?

kinggamecat

Aug 7, 2010
Nocola said:
Hi folks, I have a huge problem with weed...

Woah woah woah, don't jump to conclusions. I never said I smoked it. In fact I never have, and I don't want to. Truth be told I hate it and I get mad at my friends who do. I'm a 19 year old university student. You'd think I'd be all into it, right? My mom even takes it in pill form legally from the government for medical reasons.

I know it's a lot less harmful than for example drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes, and I don't have an issue with those things. So why do I have such a quirk with weed? My girlfriend and I have talked about it before, she's done it a few times and I told her it made me uncomfortable that she did, and I asked her to stop. She said she would because she respected the fact that it bothered me. Although, sometimes I wonder if she still does sometimes. I don't like that it bugs me to the point of distrust.

Logically it makes no sense, I know it's not that bad for you,(compared to other legal substances, anyway) I'm okay with drinking/smoking, my own mother takes it (legally), and I've never had a bad experience, or known a friend who had a bad experience with it before. So what's my problem?

If anyone has any advice for me, or even less likely feels the same way I'd like to hear about it. Thanks guys.
You and I aren't too different in this topic accept my GF doesn't smoke pot or anything and my mom doesn't use or have a need to, and my advice for you is to just kinda go with yer guts, try to trust her and what not, but if you feel the need to have a chat with yer girl friend, let her know she can tell you anything, communication is super important in relationship, just like trust and tolerance. Ya seem like a nice guy, so good like man.

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
Sure, it won't kill you, but it turns you into a useless sack of what should be human. I'd rather be dead. People should do more with their lives than get high and eat Cheetos all day. Just saying.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
I feel similarly myself. Why? I think it's because of the kind of people I associate with smoking weed. They are total idiots, losers, and/or hippies. That's not necessarily a factual connection as I am well aware, but that is the standard image.

And to be fair these kinds of people often associate themselves with it as well.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
Nocola said:
You know, I used to feel the exact same way. And I think a lot of it has to deal with the stigma that eventually it'll dull your mind and that in general society looks down on it. At least, that's why I felt I was so opposed to it. But eventually, I gave it a try a couple times. It turned out to be more about a social interaction for me. I enjoy doing so with other people. I find it as some kind of bonding activity. And it hasn't made me stupid yet.

If you'd like my advice, perhaps you should give it a try if you feel ready. It might take a few times, but at least give it a shot before you react too negatively towards it. It has made my life better in very slight ways, and not in a dependent way or anything like that.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I have a problem with it because it isn't legalized. If weed was legal, it would be regulated. As it is though, I had a friend who became permanently brain damaged because whoever he bought his weed from used pesticides in it. And because it's illegally obtained, it was impossible to find the guy who he bought it from (also my friend was rendered impossible to communicate with so we couldn't get a name or anything). So I agree, if weed was legal and someone was actually accountable if anything went wrong, i'd have no problem with it either. Currently it's like any other illegal drug that can kill or cripple you.

EDIT: On a more personal note, weed smoke gives me a huge headache.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Clearly yall have been brainwashed by our mighty DARE overlords and their insidious mantra 'just say no'

In all seriousness though, I don't really understand the furor over weed. I used to reject it out of hand (the aforementioned 'drugs are bad' indoctrination) but then i tried it. Frankly i was unimpressed. I've done tried it a couple times cause my friend told me it takes a few times before you really feel it, but even at its most intense i wasn't nearly as impaired as I am after 1 or 2 or two shots. It basically just makes you feel lazy. Which for someone as lazy as me, isn't really an earth-shattering experience. My dad used it for the last stretch of his chemo before he died and it really helped him with the pain and appetite, so all in all i have a pretty positive stance on it these days.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
For me it's mostly because the only reason for using it is to get high. And people who feel a need to get high always seem to me like they have some sort of trouble they need to get away from in stead of just confronting.

Do note that in my country weed isn't completely illegal, and in my opinion it works fine that way. You can have some for personal use, but dealing is forbidden.