Marijuana Legalized in Two States

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1283927--marijuana-legalized-in-colorado-washington

So I read the article this morning, and now I can't stop smiling.
I have always took a strong stand against prohibition, and am surprised to see my brothers to the south making such progress.

As a Canadian, I long believed that The States stance on drugs would forever have its influence on many other countries. Hopefully, this is a sign of greater freedoms to come.

What do my fellow Escapians think of the matter?
Is this a sign of greener pastures?

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Will be interesting to see what happens it's a good start for more freedom for sure, i dislike the goverment being able to tell you what you can and can't put into your body i feel this should be down to the choice of the individual and as long as they are not being a public nuisance in doing so, let them be and get on with it.

Oh but think of the children!?

Educate them properly on the substances and point out all the effects both negative and positive and let them decide for themselves WHEN THEY ARE ADULTS if they wish to take part in such things.

Personally i think it's a good thing will be interesting to see everyones opinions on the matter though :)

Also food for thought maybe?, i've never seen 2 stoners fighting, but if i walk up the road on a friday night at 2AM when the bars are kicking out it's a safe bet i will find someone fighting with someone else.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I know here in Canada it is still very much so illegal but I have never gotten the impression anybody really cares. Most cops will only bust ya if you are growing or dealing a significant amount. Outside that they just take it away n send you on your way. I agree with what others have said below I never like the idea of the government saying what you cannot or cannot consume mind you I understand if it can hurt others which is why alcohol regulations are good ideas.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Its a huge step in the right direction for country wide decriminalization. I hope the movement continues, yes I smoke pot fairly regularly, I have a steady job and a normal life, pot does not lead to harder drugs, just happiness.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Hopefully other countries (including the UK) will follow suite, but I get the feeling there's still going to be a lot of opposition. If only the UK would legalise, I don't think any of the major parties have stated they're for it.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
This is amazing. If only Texas would follow suit (YEAH RIGHT). I wonder though, what happens to the people already in jail?

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
DugMachine said:
This is amazing. If only Texas would follow suit (YEAH RIGHT). I wonder though, what happens to the people already in jail?
I assumes they remain to finish their sentences. Regardless of the law now, they were still breaking the law when they were arrested.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
capper42 said:
DugMachine said:
I assumes they remain to finish their sentences. Regardless of the law now, they were still breaking the law when they were arrested.
Well that would suck. They're wasting their lives in jail while everyone else is getting higher than the empire state.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
DugMachine said:
capper42 said:
DugMachine said:
Well that would suck. They're wasting their lives in jail while everyone else is getting higher than the empire state.
Yeah :( it does suck but as the dude said they are in prison for breaking the laws at the time.

But i whole heartily agree it sucks

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
hooblabla6262 said:
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1283927--marijuana-legalized-in-colorado-washington

I have always took a strong stand against prohibition, and am surprised to see my brothers to the south making such progress.

As a Canadian, I long believed that The States stance on drugs would forever have its influence on many other countries. Hopefully, this is a sign of greater freedoms to come.

Ah fuck. Now I will have to deal with even more dumbass potheads.

I hope to god more states do not do this shit.

*Hopes to not be quoted by Angry Potheads*
I gotta ask and i aint angry just curious, everyone's entitled to their opinion but how have "potheads" offended you so much?

It's cool if you don't want to explain why :)

acsoundwave

Jul 18, 2010
Rastien said:
Will be interesting to see what happens it's a good start for more freedom for sure, i dislike the goverment being able to tell you what you can and can't put into your body i feel this should be down to the choice of the individual and as long as they are not being a public nuisance in doing so, let them be and get on with it.

Educate them properly on the substances and point out all the effects both negative and positive and let them decide for themselves WHEN THEY ARE ADULTS if they wish to take part in such things.

Personally i think it's a good thing will be interesting to see everyones opinions on the matter though :)

Also food for thought maybe?, i've never seen 2 stoners fighting, but if i walk up the road on a friday night at 2AM when the bars are kicking out it's a safe bet i will find someone fighting with someone else.
I'd like it if *all* drugs were legalized. However, when there's a major US city that wants to ban *soft drinks* above 16 oz. and pressures new mothers into breastfeeding (both for society's "own good"), then I hold little hope for the Drug Wars to end in the US.

saints1544

Nov 23, 2009
Above will be quoted by angry potheads.

It is still Federally illegal so Im not sure what the big deal is. You can grow you own in those states and have up to an ounce(fairly large amount) on you at any time. ANy more and you are breaking the law. You cannot sell it(since they have no ways to tax it) and will go to jail on state and possibly federal charges if caught doing so.

Basically all it did was allow people to grow up to 6 plants themselves and have an ounce on them. They still have to abide by smoking laws(if there are any in your county/state) and cannot sell(legally).

Not a pot smoker, am an alcohol consumer. The stereotype of all alcoholics being mean and aggressive is highly overrated. I can personally attest to it, but with all substance abuse, there will be the people who cannot control themselves and binge on whatever it is they are partaking in and make everyone else look bad.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
acsoundwave said:
Rastien said:

I'd like it if *all* drugs were legalized. However, when there's a major US city that wants to ban *soft drinks* above 16 oz. and pressures new mothers into breastfeeding (both for society's "own good"), then I hold little hope for the Drug Wars to end in the US.
Are you serious they want to ban soft drinks... :/ i really don't feel it's the governments responsibility if someone wants to give themselves diabetes... that was kinda depressing to hear :(

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Rastien said:
hooblabla6262 said:

Ah fuck. Now I will have to deal with even more dumbass potheads.

I hope to god more states do not do this shit.

*Hopes to not be quoted by Angry Potheads*
I gotta ask and i aint angry just curious, everyone's entitled to their opinion but how have "potheads" offended you so much?

It's cool if you don't want to explain why :)
Oh no, sorry. Was a bit pissed in Comp 101 class when I wrote that. This guy behind me kept kicking my chair repeatedly.

I don't care much for those who smoke (I just call them Potheads for short-hand speak), as all the ones I have spoken with are all doing that, "Man... I... I am so high right now. Man, what you said... what you said is just so deep, man." It is more annoying than anything else. Also, this isn't just one or two that have said this. I have met around 15 potheads and THEY ALL TALK LIKE THAT. IT IS SO ANNOYING.

Also, I don't care if you do drugs, just don't promote it. That is the MAJOR thing that annoys me. I feel like this will just promote the children who didn't smoke to try it as "well it isn't illegal anymore!". Then I will have to deal with even more Hippy speaking children T-T
Now that my friend i agree with you on retards that are like hurr hurr im so high, great you don't need to tell everyone just enjoy it and go about your business :)

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Great, I'm sure now everybody in my vicinity will not stop to shut the fuck up about how it should be legalized like, everywhere because it's the most perfect plant ever and the big cool US are doing it too because we all know the US has always been the perfect example for all our issues in the EU.

Sod drugs and this rebel culture.