Marine Mike Reviews: Bullet Penetration

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Also, like the title proposal, but I think you need the name recognition. May I suggest "Marine Mike's Games and Ammo"

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
pretty good, but I would like to say one thing about your "Magazines and reloading" review: there are quite a few Tom Clancy games that are "you have so and so many clips, if you reload, you loose a clip", along with Frontlines: fuel of war. [small]Both are good games, and I would suggest them[/small]

Jan 15, 2010
I love reading your reviews, they're extremely interesting and impressive. It's amazing how much realism is left out of games for the sheer amount of unpredictability warfare has and you explain that in perfect detail. You definitely should write articles for the Escapist you would bring something new and riveting to this site.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
two things: first, i'd like to hear about gun jamming, he only game i know that does i-i--i---i-ss s-symst-tem sho-ock-k 2 but still, some of those guns might as well be cardboard and modern games guns must be god-crafted...

second, for kicks, try comparing these facts to doom

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
z(ombie)fan said:
two things: first, i'd like to hear about gun jamming, he only game i know that does i-i--i---i-ss s-symst-tem sho-ock-k 2 but still, some of those guns might as well be cardboard and modern games guns must be god-crafted...

What are you talking about? Doom is the most realistic shooter out there, I'm just not allowed to discuss the military's energy weapon research codenamed "Project BFG-9000".

Well maintained guns do not jam often, the most commonly malfunctioning weapon is your open-bolt machine gun such as the M249 SAW and M240. Guns are a lot like sex, things always go more smoothly with proper lubrication... and its a lot less fun to shoot blanks... and if you shoot your gun too much your barrel will turn red... OK, thats enough gun innuendo for one night.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
Marine Mike said:
z(ombie)fan said:

What are you talking about? Doom is the most realistic shooter out there, I'm just not allowed to discuss the military's energy weapon research codenamed "Project BFG-9000".

Well maintained guns do not jam often, the most commonly malfunctioning weapon is your open-bolt machine gun such as the M249 SAW and M240. Guns are a lot like sex, things always go more smoothly with proper lubrication... and its a lot less fun to shoot blanks... and if you shoot your gun too much your barrel will turn red... OK, thats enough gun innuendo for one night.
*chuckle*

yes, in real life we can fire and fire those shotguns, and never have to reload!

rocket launchers fire like explosive handguns!

oh god nostalgia-induced headache!

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
I think the reason most military's don't use anything but FMJ ammunition is because expanding ammunition is pretty worthless against an armoured target. Something designed to fragment as soon as it meets significant resistance is not going to deliver good penetration.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Rolling Thunder said:
I think the reason most military's don't use anything but FMJ ammunition is because expanding ammunition is pretty worthless against an armoured target. Something designed to fragment as soon as it meets significant resistance is not going to deliver good penetration.
Plus FMJ is the best "all-around" ammo type. Hollow points don't do well against armor, and AP rounds don't have enough lethality against unarmored targets.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Marine Mike said:
Rolling Thunder said:
Plus FMJ is the best "all-around" ammo type. Hollow points don't do well against armor, and AP rounds don't have enough lethality against unarmored targets.
Too true. What bemuses me, though, is why in all military simulations, including realistic ones, a wall can stop bullets? Now, it could certainly slow them to the point armour made the damage minimal, but my question is....

What the hell is the point of cover again? Concealment?

Edit: These theories need testing.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Rolling Thunder said:
A big help in surviving combat is learning the different between cover and concealment and how to use it to your advantage. Concealment is fantastic, the enemy cannot accurate engage a target it can't see. Also, even if they manage to hit you, they won't know it right away which gives you a much higher chance of survival.

Just about all cover is also concealment, so its obviously more preferable to just concealment. Even if the bullets coming at you can penetrate your chest-high wall of choice, there is still the chance that some of the incoming bullets can be deflected, fragmented, or otherwise rendered less harmful to your overall health. Add that to the fact that you are also concealed at the same time makes cover a lot safer than just standing in the open.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Marine Mike said:
Rolling Thunder said:
A big help in surviving combat is learning the different between cover and concealment and how to use it to your advantage. Concealment is fantastic, the enemy cannot accurate engage a target it can't see. Also, even if they manage to hit you, they won't know it right away which gives you a much higher chance of survival.

Just about all cover is also concealment, so its obviously more preferable to just concealment. Even if the bullets coming at you can penetrate your chest-high wall of choice, there is still the chance that some of the incoming bullets can be deflected, fragmented, or otherwise rendered less harmful to your overall health. Add that to the fact that you are also concealed at the same time makes cover a lot safer than just standing in the open.
You need to take an M16 to a chest-high wall and prove these theories. Also, you get to shoot a chest-high wall. That should be fun.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
Marine Mike said:
-As a side note, I'm playing around with this unit conversion thingie and have determined that the Big Mac is mightier than the machine gun. Really, the 7.62 NATO delivers about 3,275 Joules of energy while the energy contained in the Big Mac converts to 2,302,740 Joules... perhaps someone familiar with converting Calories into other units of energy can explain this to me.
a joule is just a metric calorie, which is the theoretical amount of energy your body absorbs from food. this is, of course, an inexact science, since the human body is a lot fussier than a machine (for which we also use joules). it'll absorb calories/joules differently from different foods. considering that a big mac has proteins and preservatives, a much higher ratio of calories will be absorbed than from something healthy. so, big mac=not as dangerous in its final (post-digestion) energy level than a machine gun round in its post-fired state. more people will probably die from eating foods like big macs than will die from gunfire, though, so maybe it's all a sliding scale of danger.

as a side note, i've fallen in love with you all over again for noticing this at all. :)

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Here's a test video done by the army showing effects of bullet penetration of usual construction materials at length. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKhMOfaYwvE

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
I know this review is old, but I felt I had to help you out with your unit conversions quandary.

Divine Miss Bee said:
Marine Mike said:
-As a side note, I'm playing around with this unit conversion thingie and have determined that the Big Mac is mightier than the machine gun. Really, the 7.62 NATO delivers about 3,275 Joules of energy while the energy contained in the Big Mac converts to 2,302,740 Joules... perhaps someone familiar with converting Calories into other units of energy can explain this to me.
a joule is just a metric calorie, which is the theoretical amount of energy your body absorbs from food. this is, of course, an inexact science, since the human body is a lot fussier than a machine (for which we also use joules). it'll absorb calories/joules differently from different foods. considering that a big mac has proteins and preservatives, a much higher ratio of calories will be absorbed than from something healthy. so, big mac=not as dangerous in its final (post-digestion) energy level than a machine gun round in its post-fired state. more people will probably die from eating foods like big macs than will die from gunfire, though, so maybe it's all a sliding scale of danger.

as a side note, i've fallen in love with you all over again for noticing this at all. :)
Wrong. A Joule is the metric version of a foot-pound. Calories and joules are both metric, but the joule is the SI standard and calories are rarely used outside the food industry.

Anyway, I did your math and it turns out bullets really ARE more powerful than big macs. Power being defined by the SI standard unit of power: the Watt, of course!

(The US customary unit of power is "horse power." Talk about archaic!)

Joules are watt-seconds, so you can determine the power (in watts) by dividing Joules by the number of seconds in which the energy is delivered.

A big mac has 2,300,700 joules and takes about 24 hours to digest. That's 2,300,700 watt-seconds divided by 86,400 seconds.

So Big macs deliver about 26 watts. (for reference, the human body uses about 125 watts at rest.)

the .223 winchester, on the other hand, deliver 3,275 joules in less than a second...say .25 seconds just for giggles. 3,275 watt-seconds / .25 seconds

So bullets deliver about 13kW.

Yeah, I'll take a big-mac please.

Interesting note: This explains what the perplexing "kilo-watt-hours" are on your electric bill. They're really just a convoluted measurement of energy (joules = watt-seconds)and can be directly converted into joules, calories, foot-pounds or BTU's.

Gasoline has potential energy stored in it's chemical bonds, you'd measure that in Joules.

But then gasoline engines convert that chemical energy into motion at a specific rate, you call that POWER and can label it in watts or horse power.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
tavelkyosoba said:
I know this review is old, but I felt I had to help you out with your unit conversions quandary.

Divine Miss Bee said:
Marine Mike said:

Wrong. A Joule is the metric version of a foot-pound. Calories and joules are both metric, but the joule is the SI standard and calories are rarely used outside the food industry.

Anyway, I did your math and it turns out bullets really ARE more powerful than big macs. Power being defined by the SI standard unit of power: the Watt, of course!

(The US customary unit of power is "horse power." Talk about archaic!)

Joules are watt-seconds, so you can determine the power (in watts) by dividing Joules by the number of seconds in which the energy is delivered.

A big mac has 2,300,700 joules and takes about 24 hours to digest. That's 2,300,700 watt-seconds divided by 86,400 seconds.

So Big macs deliver about 26 watts. (for reference, the human body uses about 125 watts at rest.)

the .223 winchester, on the other hand, deliver 3,275 joules in less than a second...say .25 seconds just for giggles. 3,275 watt-seconds / .25 seconds

So bullets deliver about 13kW.

Yeah, I'll take a big-mac please.

Interesting note: This explains what the perplexing "kilo-watt-hours" are on your electric bill. They're really just a convoluted measurement of energy (joules = watt-seconds)and can be directly converted into joules, calories, foot-pounds or BTU's.

Gasoline has potential energy stored in it's chemical bonds, you'd measure that in Joules.

But then gasoline engines convert that chemical energy into motion at a specific rate, you call that POWER and can label it in watts or horse power.
When you factor in the amount of time that the energy is delivered, then you are absolutely correct. However, I still giggle at the thought of the Big Mac having more potential energy than a bullet. Thank you for the enlightening perspective.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Marine Mike said:
Hey guys here's something I found that may be of interest, the .50 BMG round (you know, the one used in the Barrett M82 and M107?) not only can penetrate almost an inch (like .825" or 22mm) of rolled steel armor there is a special armor piercing round called the SLAP. Saboted Light Armor Penetrating rounds fire a .30 caliber tungsten penetrator out of a .50 caliber discarding sabot. For any who are wondering what a sabot is, its a (usually) plastic sheath around a projectile allowing for a smaller caliber round to be fired through a larger caliber barrel with the same amount of propellant of the larger caliber cartridge. This results in a much higher muzzle velocity and better armor penetration since the projectile's energy will be focused on a smaller surface area on impact. The SLAP round is capable of penetrating close to three inches or armor plating, and maintains effectiveness against 3/4" armor plate at 1500 meters (0.93 miles)!! You can see the SLAP round pictured on the left with the standard .50 BMG round on the right. If you think its dangerous in video games, that SLAP round gives you even more reason to "Fear the .50".
THREE INCHES?! What happens to such a round after exiting the substance though? Is it true that if you're sitting in a tank and one of those puppies makes it through it will ricochete around the interior...fucking up whomever is inside?