Marines Desecrate Insurgent corpse, urinate on it

Dec 14, 2009
Monoochrom said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Monoochrom said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What I mean, is that a civillian who lives in a warzone shouldn't be held to the same standards as a professional soldier.

Anyone who desecrates a corpse is a twat, but a soldier is more of a twat for doing so.
Why?
Well these particular soldiers are supposed to be on peacekeeping mission correct?

As are most soldiers these days. While on manouvers, you represent your country and have a certain professional standard you must adhere to.

Pissing on a corpse isn't professional and it doesn't exactly send a great message to the people you're supposedly protecting.

I hope that answers your question.
And the actual inhabitats of a country do not represent said country?
They do not have a professional obligation to do so, no.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Baby Tea said:
neonit said:
huh, i think this calls for another "why do people hate us glorious americans?" thread.

see, killing them is fine, you can always say "i take no pleasure in that, i had to do this".
what they did, they cannot explain beside "well, we just went on taliban safari and this is my trophy"
While I think what these guys have done is nothing short of reprehensible, I think I can 'get' it. There are two explanations, as I see it (Though of course, there could be more). 1 is that they are just assholes. There are assholes in every facet of life, and these guys being marines doesn't make them immune to that fact. Assholes would do this.

The 2nd...well think of it like this: These guys are thousands of miles from home, fighting in a hot, dry land where every person could be out to kill them. They've seen friends gunned down and blown up, and have dodged death themselves. And now, after all that, they let off some steam in the least appropriate way possible. Again: This is morally reprehensible. But I can 'get' why they might think this is something they should do.

Not an excuse, merely a possible explanation.

They should be disciplined, unquestionably.
While I think most people can understand that mindset, the fact remains these people are supposed to be professionals. Yes, they are in hellish situations, but the whole reason they are trained, not just handed a rifle and shoved onto a battlefield, is so that they can maintain their composure in those situations, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Fighting a war is about more than just winning, it's about being able to stand up in front of the world and maintain your integrity as the 'right' side of the conflict; and with every case like this it's gets a little harder for the Western world to do that.

This makes me think that recruits should have to pass some kind of moral profiling, as well as a rigorous intelligence test, before being allowed into combat. The people fighting our wars need to represent the best of us.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
JoesshittyOs said:
It wouldn't have been that bad until (from last count) 14 of his marine buddies started backing him up and wondering when it was a crime to have a pair of balls. I lost a lot of respect for the marines.
Honestly, that kind of marines really makes me more inclined to pick up a newspaper and be worried that any of them like him have survived... And I must say, that's one helluva entitlement/victimhood complex they seem to have going on.

Monoochrom said:
And the actual inhabitats of a country do not represent said country?
The difference is, those are not professional soldiers, and they have, in the case of the Taliban, been more or less brought up on bronze-age dogma and superstitions, there is little wonder that an organization like the Taliban are rather forgeign to enlightened ideas. Cruelty and barbarity is sadly what you can expect from that.

We hold, as we should, professional soldiers to a higher standard than that.

Dec 14, 2009
Monoochrom said:
Daystar Clarion said:
They do not have a professional obligation to do so, no.
That's not what I asked you. If the actual citizens of a country do not represent the country who does?
They certainly do represent their country, but they have no obligation to do so in a professional way.

I fully expect the ambassador of a third world country to act differently than an individual from the arse end of nowhere.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Zio_IV said:
I did 4 years in the Marines and you know what I found out in that span of time?

Marines are mostly scum. A good number of them are the exact opposite of the sort of people the GP (General Population) think would join up. Of course there are a few decent people here and there as well (as with any facet of society, really), but all things considered, the majority of people I met during my time in the corps were not the greatest.

I guess that's just my long-winded way of saying that I'm not surprised by this video. I've seen stuff just as bad in person, honestly.
I've recently also lost my respect with the marines as well.

Some guy on Facebook told friends and family of a kid who got shot and killed at the house across from mine to "Grow the fuck up" and to summarize the rest of it, he asked when was the last time people had picked up a newspaper and worried about a dead marine. Literally hours after it happened.

It wouldn't have been that bad until (from last count) 14 of his marine buddies started backing him up and wondering when it was a crime to have a pair of balls. I lost a lot of respect for the marines.

But I'm glad that there's people like you with a level head in there.

OT: It's things like this where you'd think "Hey, are we really being the good guys right now?"

Every since I decided that I was gonna join up, I've been hit by a barrage of questionable acts by the military.
Im sorry....but are you serious?

uggghhh a fucking god complex..I actually find that really disgusting, a civilian kid's life is not less valuble than another guy who happens to be a marine

I dont know anything...but would this have anything to do with America's aparant "hard on" for all things military? (I know plenty of people arnt fond of the military though) perhaps thats where this god complex might come from

(I mean sure..youre a marine..your special, but you arnt a fucking god amongst men, you dont get to demand my respect....that is umm...if I were american of coarse)

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Monoochrom said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What I mean, is that a civillian who lives in a warzone shouldn't be held to the same standards as a professional soldier.

Anyone who desecrates a corpse is a twat, but a soldier is more of a twat for doing so.
Why?
Because a solider is a representative of the country they are fighting for. What they do makes us all look good/bad. And if you go around showing everyone that this is the kind of people Americans are, then people will start to think this is why we get attacked and not support us when we need it.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Meh.. they've been doing this kind of shit deliberately for years, generally while broadcasting loudly in Arabic to explain what they're doing.

It's called 'psychological warfare', apparently.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
*Sigh*
I'm more saddened by the fact that I'm not at all surprised about this than I am about the specifics.
This whole "They did it first!" "No, they did!" bullshit is childish and annoying also.
Grow up people, that has never been an acceptable excuse.

?War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.?
JIMMY CARTER, Nobel Lecture, Dec. 10, 2002

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I can understand it. When you join the forces you are trained so strongly that the enemy isn't human thats it borderline brainwashing. Also lets not forget those bodies were up and about shooting at them just a few hours earlier.

I don't condone it, in fact it makes me a little sick to think people like THAT are in our military parading around other countries. But I can not deny the fact that in our country soldiers are built to see the enemy as just an enemy.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Vault101 said:
Im sorry....but are you serious?

uggghhh a fucking god complex..I actually find that really disgusting, a civilian kid's life is not less valuble than another guy who happens to be a marine

I dont know anything...but would this have anything to do with America's aparant "hard on" for all things military? (I know plenty of people arnt fond of the military though) perhaps thats where this god complex might come from

(I mean sure..youre a marine..your special, but you arnt a fucking god amongst men, you dont get to demand my respect....that is umm...if I were american of coarse)
Like the guy said above me, I've come to realize that more often than not it attracts the hardcore people who really do have a god complex. On top of that, the type of training and environment they go through elevates that to an extreme. If Jarhead has any truth behind it, they end up convincing themselves that they enjoy the fact that people find their actions atrocious.

They end up becoming a perfect warrior because they tend to lose some humanity, and sort of satire the fact that they are vicious. (Once again, no disrespect to the guy above. One of the nicest people I know is a marine.)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Not sure what to make of this. I mean yeah, these people were probably bastards... but is that really the best way to treat a corpse?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
yeah? and? this happens way more the we hear about and for good reason.

No it ain't okay, that shouldn't be done to anyone by anyone for any reason. but these guys are far away from their girlfriends/wives for significant periods of time and their nerves are frayed from getting shot at. Not to mention the pysch damage from killing people themselves. Watch full metal jacket and jarhead.

No, it isn't cool, but it happens. It's war, there are no rules, and no one benefits.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
This is one of those things that should warrant a disciplinary action, but not really too much more. Its desecration of a body, but this is war, and they're in a different environment.

Its not like its a war crime or anyhting though.

EDIT: Besides, I cant believe that this is a US only thing, and that other soldiers from other countries pull shit like this.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
This thread is up to nearly three pages? No mod wrath? No lock?

I think I'll have to leave this site soon.