Mario Joins NASCAR

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mario Joins NASCAR

Next Saturday at the NASCAR Meijer 300, one of the competing cars will be emblazoned with the world's most famous plumber.

When you think about Nintendo's iconic mascot and racing, you think of Mario Kart [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74294], right? You think of little zippy karts shooting green shells (and those cheap-ass spiky shells) and dropping banana peels with reckless abandon. You don't think of the billion-horsepower stock cars that burn rubber on the NASCAR circuit.

And yet, the two are teaming up nonetheless. Next Saturday, June 12th, NASCAR driver Joey Logano will step behind the wheel of the No.20 GameStop car to race in the NASCAR Meijer 300 at the Kentucky Speedway. The car in question will be decorated with "characters and elements" from Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7585-Review-Super-Mario-Galaxy-2].

The image you see here is just a mock-up, not what the car will actually look like - but we can imagine that it'll look close to this, can't we? There will be Mario, there will be Yoshi, and there will probably be Lumas. There may or may not be power stars - who can say for sure?

If Nintendo and NASCAR can promise me that No.20 will suddenly start firing red shells at everyone in front of it, then I can officially say I will be watching this race.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I can see this going very badly...
I mean, Mario going to the "Left"?[footnote]I know that not all Nascar races are just "Left Turns", but it's funnier when they are.[/footnote]

Other than that, interested in seeing what the Car will look like when it's done, but not the Race itself.

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
Either way, I'm still not watching the beer-induced crashfest that is NASCAR.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
When he crashes- No, when he merely dents that image of Mario, he can expect the wrath of 40,000 Nintendo fans to crash down upon him.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
I mean, Mario going to the "Left"?

Other than that, interested in seeing what the Car will look like when it's done, but not the Race itself.
Are you expecting a joke about him being not right?

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
They should put some red turtle shells on the front just to scare and confuse other racers when they check their rear view mirror.

I hope this happens because its another step towrads mainstream acceptance of gaming.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
If I do not see a huge wreck caused by a single banana peel, I am going to re-enact the plot of 'Air Force One'.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
Are you expecting a joke about him being not right?
Am I... eh?

I was joking that he always seems to be walking towards the Right of the Screen in his Games, the 2D/2.5D ones anyways.

No clue what you're going on about.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That, is an epic car. If I saw that I would be totally supporting it!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I hope it doesnt throw blue shells, then everybody is screwed. Or goes star power.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
TheNumber1Zero said:
I mean, Mario going to the "Left"?

You win.

Mods, please lock this thread, as no further comments need be posted.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Just wait for the blue shell... that'll make things so much more interesting.

And it better shoot out sparks when it turns hard.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
If Nintendo and NASCAR can promise me that No.20 will suddenly start firing red shells at everyone in front of it, then I can officially say I will be watching this race.
That is all

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
This is Awesome!
While im a fan of Jeff Gorden ill keep my eye on #20 this Saturday.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I can't wait for the inevitable crash and to see a man burning to death on the image of Mario. You can't buy publicity like that.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Gigaguy64 said:
This is Awesome!
While im a fan of Jeff Gorden ill keep my eye on #20 this Saturday.
I didn't know you like NASCAR?

I want that car!
Sure do.
And while its kind of a stereotype to say all United States Southerners love NASCAR...it kind of true.

I was raised with NASCAR, and i though it was boring as a kid, now i like it.
Almost all of my family on both my Mom and my Dad's sides love NASCAR too.
Heck, most of the people i know like NASCAR for some reason.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
The trick is, prior to the inevitable crash-up, to get a Starman so he can just plow invincibly through any obstacle. Might suck for the folks in the stands, but hey, the back of their tickets has liability waivers, they knew what they were getting into. Now, the REAL trick'll be when a new Twisted Metal game comes out and there's a NASCAR race involving that...