Mario Transforms and Rolls Out in New Galaxy 2 Trailer

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mario Transforms and Rolls Out in New Galaxy 2 Trailer

The latest trailer for Super Mario Galaxy 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694685&sr=1-1] is out, and it's a minute and a half of pure childlike joy.

[gametrailers=63923]

In the past, I've made my love for the original Super Mario Galaxy more than apparent - it's one of the best games of this generation, hands down. So, I relish every little opportunity to catch a glimpse of its sequel, because you know it's going to be absolutely friggin' brilliant.

This latest SMG2 trailer is pretty short, but it does show off one of the cooler new powerups that Mario will be getting access to: Rock Mario. If you thought Metal Mario was cool back in the SM64 days, well, you might just think this does it one better.

From what it looks like, Mario will be able to turn into a giant boulder and do a powerful, devastating roll attack used for jumping off ramps, knocking objects down, and presumably also to squash the hell out of Goombas. What else are you going to do a giant rolling rock for, huh?

Plumber was a rolling stone, don'tcha know?

We also get a glimpse at the new "world map" screen, which consists of Mario flying a small planetoid (in the shape of his head, natch) around from galaxy to galaxy. Apparently, players will be able to upgrade the planetoid in order to access new things - we'll be learning more about that later, I presume.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
Oh god, I'm waaay too excited for this game. The original was so much fun to play, I just can't help it.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
My inner 6 year old is screaming bloody murder. I really can't wait to see what you can do with your little Mario head planet thing.

If you could have planet battles with enemies I will go batshit.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, it's time to brush off the Wii, I suppose.
EDIT: By that, i mean brush the dust off.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Sorry but Metal Mario was, by definition, the coolest power he ever head. He was fucking metal.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
That made me cry. Mario Galaxy made me happy to be alive and I can't imagine this one will be any different.

I'll miss the space castle base though, I had a lot of fun just running around and doing stunts there.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, certainly looks like it will be as fun as the first one at least! Some nice little additionals added in!

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Hm... Perhaps one should look into acquiring Super Mario Galaxy 1... havn't played it.

Can't help but get the feeling they've grossly underestimated the size of galaxies however.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Looks like allot of fun, i liked the first one and with yoshi this one looks set to be even better!

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
i am so gettin this game...my prents think they are buying a Wii to play WiiSports...poor deluded saps...

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Well this is cool. The sequel to the only game in years to bring me childlike wonder again. Any game that can reduce me to giggling fits over something so simple (in this case the sections of MG where you are perched on top of a giant rolling ball) deserves a sequel. This look worthy of it too.