Mark Hamill's Days as Arkham Asylum Joker Numbered

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mark Hamill's Days as Arkham Asylum Joker Numbered

According to Mark Hamill, Arkham Asylum 2 will include the last appearance of the Joker as we know him.

Mark Hamill is best known for playing Luke Skywalker in the Batman: Arkham Asylum [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276624598&sr=8-1] for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC, and will be reprising his role in the game's 2011 sequel. The thing is, it might be his final go at the last-laughing psychopath.

Speaking of IGN [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76724]: "This will be my last, there's no question about that. But it's the last hurrah." It seems impossible that the Joker could somehow be killed, even if the he ended up in an exploding helicopter or thrown off of a cliff (he's got a tendency to come back from anything), but it's a possibility. The truth behind Hamill's statement is that he has a great deal of respect for the Joker and wants to make sure any performance ends on a good note.

Hamill was reluctant to even come back for Arkham Asylum 2, believing that he and developer Rocksteady were "never going to be able to top the original." Still, he says: "I got on the phone with Rocksteady and they really reassured me and told me what they were going to do with the sequel. But I'm sworn to secrecy!" This appears to be an indication that Rocksteady is holding itself to the same level of quality that it had with the first game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6467-Review-Batman-Arkham-Asylum], which according to Hamill "did something like $562 million [in sales]."

With those kinds of numbers, it's a sure bet that Arkham Asylum 3 will come along if the sequel doesn't tank horribly, but without the Joker. It'd be possible to do it without Hamill, but it just wouldn't feel right. Batman has a huge roster of villains that Rocksteady could look to in the future, though none are quite on the level of ol' green hair. Except, perhaps, for the Penguin and his amazing arsenal of umbrellas. I hear one can shoot smoke.

Source: IGN [http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1092968p2.html]

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Going on a bit of a tangent here, but how come in the new batman films batman "left" his mentor to die, but he rescued a psychotic madman that he had no previous affiliation to?

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Going on a bit of a tangent here, but how come in the new batman films batman "left" his mentor to die, but he rescued a psychotic madman that he had no previous affiliation to?
Poor writing.
Easy as that.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
They will probably just give the Riddler a bigger role instead.

(Our Hugo Strange =P)

Edit: For those that don't know, the Batman villian Hugo Strange was my avatar for over half a year.

Dec 14, 2009
If anything, I respect Hamill immensely. He got horribly type cast after Star Wars ended and I think his true calling is voice acting. He's fucking brilliant at it. It'll be a shame to see him leave.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Captain Pancake said:
Poor writing.
Easy as that.
No, *Starts Batman voice* "Because the Joker cannot win." *Ends Batman voice*

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
The Joker won't disappear but Hamill could be quitting. I will miss Mark, but I hope the Joker stays around for a good long time.

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Well this is very sad,I have great for the Joker's character(he's so well made and just the perfect villain for batman)and those involved with his creation it's a sad day when that madman will leave are lives for good.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
LiquidGrape said:
Captain Pancake said:
Poor writing.
Easy as that.
The way I interpreted it Ra'as('s?) own machinations killed him whereas batman kicked the joker out of a window himself.

OT: It's a shame since he always did a bad-ass joker voice.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
That's a damn shame. Hamill will always be my favorite Joker. Anytime I read Joker in the comics, I hear him in Mark Hamill's voice.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Captain Pancake said:
He didn't leave his mentor to die unless you are talking about him leaving him in the Metro car to die in the crash.
Batman DOES NOT KILL that is one of his things. It is not bad writing like the first person to quote you said. If Ras wanted to save himself he could have he had that ability. Bruce just decided to do nothing in his way to save him by no means that he killed him.

He "saved" the Joker because he would have just killed him when Batman doesn't really ever kill anyone. If he had left the joker to completely just drop to his death then he would of gone against his own code.

Nov 12, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Dammit Mark Hamill's Joker was the whole reason I played through Arkham Asylum in the first place, it sure as hell wasn't for that lame ass Killer Croc, talk about a massive let down.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Captain Pancake said:
i wouldn't say he left him to die. i mean he stopped him falling of a cliff then took him to a villager who appeared to take care of him.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Hamill is a brilliant voice actor - there's actually a number of actors with only moderate success in live ventures who are just awesome when it comes to voicing animated characters (Patrick Warburton, aka the Tick, immediately comes to mind after Hamill). None of them get the recognition/accolades they deserve for this work - basically, they're invisible.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That'll be a shame. As far as I'm concerned Hamill is the Joker, everyone else is a pale imitation. ...except maybe for Jack Nickleson.
Now before all you Heth Ledger fans jump down my throat, let me qualify that statement by saying that I did think Heth Ledger's performance was brilliant, magnificent even; I'd personally give him an Oscar for it if it were up to me. Wait, didn't he get an Oscar for it? I don't know. Anyway, despite that though, it just didn't feel like the Joker to me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least he will be back at least once more. Hoping secpond one will be as kick as as first

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
If anything, I respect Hamill immensely. He got horribly type cast after Star Wars ended and I think his true calling is voice acting. He's fucking brilliant at it. It'll be a shame to see him leave.
Have you heard his performance for World War Z (the audio book)? It's fantastic.

I hope he continues to work in the voice acting field. I am always amazed when I see the credits and he is in them. I can never tell it's him unless I know it beforehand. He has a wonderful range of voices.