Mark of the Ninja Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Mark of the Ninja Review

Mark of the Ninja is a must have for those who?d rather slink through the shadows instead of going in guns blazing.

Read Full Article

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I was refreshing Steam all day waiting for this to show up.

Well, it's there now finally. Yay! All the sneaks

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
To be fair fear as a weapon against enemies was used in the Batman Begins video game, for what I hear of this game it didn't do it as we'll but I wanted t mention it to show it has been tried before (and so isn't completely new). That doesnt take anything away from this game I'm just posting it for informations sake.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I looks a lot like Shank... *Klei Entertainment* Ohhhhhh, that's why. Now I'm intrigued by this game.

Also, the "incite fear upon your foes" thing was already done by the Batman games, but definitely not a single game has ever done this in 2D.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I agree with your review, Mr. Clouse. I got this the day (weekend after?) it came out and I didn't regret it. While the story was kinda weak-sauce, the ending was cool. It was a fucking shame Microsoft barely advertised this on Live. Way better than half of the Summer of Arcade games.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ExtraDebit said:
wow, a 5 star rating? But you sound so........not excited in the video.
Heh, probably have to compare it to something I really didn't care for to notice the difference. I'm pretty even toned though, something to work on.

Vault Citizen said:
To be fair fear as a weapon against enemies was used in the Batman Begins video game, for what I hear of this game it didn't do it as we'll but I wanted t mention it to show it has been tried before (and so isn't completely new). That doesnt take anything away from this game I'm just posting it for informations sake.
Yeah, it was rare enough that I was comfortable saying it's more or less unique, or at least seen rarely.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Definitely a great game, and it's also on XBL so pick it up if you can.

One thing not mentioned in the review is the character customization. As you progress through the game you unlock various items and movesets that cater to your particular playing style. These different loadouts actually tweak the way your character plays so that, for example, you can have a ninja that has basically no offensive options at all but has extra gadgets and ways to sneak through a level.

Oh, and yes, there is a cardboard box item.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Aww...It's kind of sad that the only reason I want a 360 is for it's XBL titles. I'd snag it on PC, but my computer is acting up a bit of late, and clicking is kind of a hit-or-miss affair at present.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Slycne said:
ExtraDebit said:
wow, a 5 star rating? But you sound so........not excited in the video.
Heh, probably have to compare it to something I really didn't care for to notice the difference. I'm pretty even toned though, something to work on.

Vault Citizen said:
Yeah, it was rare enough that I was comfortable saying it's more or less unique, or at least seen rarely.
Fair enough, I'm probably just being pedantic.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Is there a bonus for killing every enemy on the map? I don't have the game yet and I've been wondering that since I saw it has a "pacifist" award. I'm thinking each kill gives a mini reward, but which is more efficient for point-gathering's sake?

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
I'd be careful to boastful claims such as that the hero "personifies basically everthing historical and mysthical about ninjas". Technically it might be true because there is very little we know about ninjas and a lot myth about ninjas but the statement is to be likely inerpreted like "it is a video game with cool supernatural ninja powers and you get a little history lesson on the way".
I of course belive there to be no credible historical portrayal in this game because of the notion that the game is a action platformer that wants to portray ninjas as masters of mythical stealth powers. Do you mind referring to or elaborate on hinted historical background you ascribe to the game?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
crimson sickle2 said:
Is there a bonus for killing every enemy on the map? I don't have the game yet and I've been wondering that since I saw it has a "pacifist" award. I'm thinking each kill gives a mini reward, but which is more efficient for point-gathering's sake?
Not specifically, but each kill is points itself. A non-kill run nets you a big bonus of 8000 points, so far my kill bonuses are usually around 2-3000. In theory you could try to stack all the point gathering from getting unseen, distracted, killed in an elaborate way and then hiding the body, but I suspect it still works out to less than the 8000.

Jachwe said:
Ah, I can see how that wording might work that way, but basically I was trying to imply that most of what we associate with ninja's is based on myth and legends instead of facts.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
"Using fear to deal with enemies is something that we haven't really seen elsewhere very often and brings an interesting new dynamic to Mark of the Ninja's stealth."

Umm wasn't this THE core mechanic of the Batman Arkham games?

At least that was how I approached every situation: Jump around on gargoyles until a thug is underneath you, and then string them up to induce fear in your enemies.

Sry, I should have guessed that others would have said, WAIT... BUT BATMAN!!!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
The gameplay in the video reminded me a lot of Abe's Odyssee, still my favourite game of all time. I'm quite excited now.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
Its really quite excellent - I'm glad it came to Steam. I am unsure if the Steam version has anything that the X360 version doesn't, but I'm always happy to support a PC version of a formerly console-only title, provided it is a good port; This one is. Gamepad support is great, at least if you have or emulate a XInput (ie X360) pad.

One thing I'm really, really happy with is the checkpoints. In a game like this, when I'm trying to ensure I get the highest rank, find all the collectable scrolls, and complete all the challenges in a level, I'm going to have to retry - a lot. Many titles would make you go back to sparse checkpoints, or perhaps deny you the ability to successfully complete that challenge unless you restarted the entire level, but thankfully Mark doesn't do that. Go to the pause menu, hit return to checkpoint, and you'll be sent back between 30 sec to 5 min worth of gameplay and you'll get to attempt that last gambit again. Major bonus points in my book for providing this feature. For instance, early on there's an optional objective to make it from a certain checkpoint to the inside of a generator room within 1 minute. This happens in the middle of a mission so to speak. The first couple times my haste got me detected, so I was thankful to return to checkpoint and try again, completing the objective.

Oh, and thanks to its animation and design, it is probably the closest thing we'll see to a recent "Samurai Jack" game

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
MorganL4 said:
"Using fear to deal with enemies is something that we haven't really seen elsewhere very often and brings an interesting new dynamic to Mark of the Ninja's stealth."

Umm wasn't this THE core mechanic of the Batman Arkham games?
It's been a while since I played them, but did you have the option of just sneaking past the thugs in the Arkham stealth sections, or were you required to take out every enemy to proceed?