Mars One Releases Astronaut Open Call Qualifications

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Mars One Releases Astronaut Open Call Qualifications

Friendliness, psychological stability, and resourcefulness are listed as qualifiers for potential colonists.

Unlike every other program in the history of spaceflight, Mars One intends to have an open call for their future colonists - who are scheduled for a 2022 launch and 2023 landing. Beginning in the first half of this year, Mars One will begin that call, starting with the release of a light list of primary qualifications for their colonists. Primary among their qualifications are physical and mental health, but neither experience flying an aircraft nor a university degree in science will be required. All the required training, Mars One says, will be provided during your eight years of employment with the company. You'll also need to be willing to give up your earthly commitments for, well, forever - it's a one way trip to Mars. Norbert Kraft, a former NASA official, said that "Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria ... we are more concerned with how well each astronaut works and lives with the others ... the ability to be at your best when things are at their worst is what Mars One is looking for."

The five key characteristics of an astronaut [http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en/21-faq-selection/251-do-i-qualify-to-apply], says Mars One, are resiliency, adaptability, curiosity, ability to trust, and creativity. An astronaut must be at least 18, making for a 28-year-old landing on the red planet, and the upper limit for age has yet to be determined. The key qualification that Mars One emphasizes, however, is that a candidate be capable of intensive self-reflection.

Mars One is a non-profit organization that intends to fund their mars colony by making their entire operation a reality show. Every aspect of the mission, from launch to landing and living on mars, will be a televised and interactive broadcast. It has not been announced when the selection campaign will begin, but Mars One has said "We are working hard to launch our selection campaign as soon as possible, to open the doors to everyone who aspires to do something tremendous in their lifetime."

Source: Mars One [http://mars-one.com/en/mars-one-news/press-releases/11-news/364-mars-one-issues-requirements-for-2013-astronaut-selection]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I can't even imagine how exciting and horrifying being among the first people to live on another planet would be. Just need to wait 10 years to see how this all pans out!

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Crap, only 17! Then again, as cool as going to Mars would be, I think that I'd want to come back home after a few years. Hopefully flights to Mars will be more common in 50 years.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I've been thinking about "starting over" with my life recently & that would be one hell of an adventure & I don't have much keeping me here. I wonder if an average guy like me with no real skill at anything would even be considered...

Jan 12, 2012
Sounds good, except for the "reality show" part:

Executive 1: Our viewership has dropped dramatically since the launch! It turns out no one wants to watch a well-trained crew operate a spacecraft flawlessly while waiting to reach Mars.

Executive 2: Don't worry, I thought of that; I've replaced a few key crew members with capuchin monkeys in life-like suits, and if that doesn't work... *pushes button*

(50,000,000 KM away)

Captain: I don't know what's going on! All the windows just rolled down!

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
So it begins. Only four individuals out of seven billion people living on Earth will be chosen.

I want to be one of those four. Wonder what my odds are. Little concerned about the big brother aspect and how it might affect the whole procedure, but still..

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Just read the reality show part, and now I feel a little depressed that the first people on another planet will be doing it in the name of a reality show. Then again, if it's just for funding and the network executives get as little say as possible, it could go well. Oh, and they should take at least a few scientists and security personnel with them.

Mar 19, 2010
It would be cool to be one of the first people on Mars but I don not think I am fit for duty. Maybe after loosing few pounds still after saying I do not want to live on this planet anymore I should start acting on my words.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
If only it weren't a one way trip, I'd be all over this. Alas, giving up my creature comforts for the rest of my days sounds like a bit too much of a commitment.

GM.Casper

Sep 4, 2009
So... how will they protect the colonists from radiation exposure to radiation? Mars doesn't have a magnetic field work speaking of. They'll get cancer in ten years.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Not gonna lie, I was immensely relieved to read the part about a reality show. Because now I have a valid excuse to dismiss this.

If it wasn't for that, I'd be forced to seriously consider this. Actually, scratch that. I'd have no choice but to sign up right now. I fit the bill 100%. And I've always sworn that if a chance for me to better the world would come knocking, I'd answer even if it meant death.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
I just KNOW that if I got picked for this(and I am definitely gonna try) Half-Life 3 and Kingdom Hearts 3 will come out the day after I leave. To be on this mission would be terrifying and absolutely bloody magnificent all at once.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Sounds good, except for the "reality show" part:

Executive 1: Our viewership has dropped dramatically since the launch! It turns out no one wants to watch a well-trained crew operate a spacecraft flawlessly while waiting to reach Mars.

Executive 2: Don't worry, I thought of that; I've replaced a few key crew members with capuchin monkeys in life-like suits, and if that doesn't work... *pushes button*

(50,000,000 KM away)

Captain: I don't know what's going on! All the windows just rolled down!
If only that was even remotely close to the worst thing I could imagine happening.

Guy in the video brought up Big Brother. Lets all sit down and think, for a moment, about what that show would have been like if all the contestants were packed in a tin can, with no way to avoid each other, ever.

Personally, I don't see how this sort of thing would work, with so few people at a time.

Seems to me you'd need closer to forty people, if you wanna keep them there for two years before you send them new friends and relations.

Either that, or you'd end up with a bunch of loner-types (like me), which could well end up causing problems as well.

After all, if people who like having other humans around can get on each others nerves, how bad would it get with a bunch that don't?

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
Sweet Jesus somebody payroll these people.

I will not tolerate what could become one of mankind's greatest achivements being turned into a FUCKING REALITY TV SHOW.