Marshall of the Legion

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Dog Soldiers is entertaining while The Decent is a genuinely good horror film.

Doomsday on the other hand, sorry Bob but I dismiss it not because you think it's "fashionable", it just sucked. I found it derivative of better films, which is the worst thing you can do really since every reference you instead think about watching the better film.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Have seen and enjoyed, Dog Soldiers and The Descend. Didn't like Doomsday though.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Big fan of Dog Soldiers, liked Doomsday because it was mad max set in my hometown (I'm 90%) sure some of it was filmed in the next town over too me and I've seen centurion twice since I got it on DVD last weekend. Didn't see the Descent though. Probably because it was comin out when I was below the age limit too see it so I missed it.
Centurion is great though, its out on DVD and it has one of the best bloopers I've seen. Let's just say, epic frontflip for the win.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I loved The Descent, disliked Doomsday (great car scenes though), and have only seen the first 15 minutes of Dog Soldiers but I loved what I saw. All in all I guess I like this guy and am looking forward to his new one.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Doomsday was fun, have yet to see the other two, and if I can find Centurion I will definitely see it!

Mutie

Feb 2, 2009
There were three major problems with Doomsday, Mr. Bob. Firstly, the soundtrack was terrible; it should all have been hardcore scottish punk like The Exploited, especially when the tribal punks were rallying. Secondly (SPOILERS), in the second half of the film with Malcolm McDowell's medieval settlement, why were they using authentic looks dark-age weaponry and clothing? It would have been much better had the props and costumes taken the medieval aesthetic and added a nice, Post-Apocalyptic spin. And thirdly, a sports car? C'mon!! That just ruins it all!!

theclownprince1

Mar 1, 2010
ironlordthemad said:
Big fan of Dog Soldiers, liked Doomsday because it was mad max set in my hometown (I'm 90%) sure some of it was filmed in the next town over too me
Really? That it was in Scotland was one of the main reasons I really hated this film. It made Scotland look ridiculous with our 50 story tenements, the survivors turning to cannibalism despite seeing healthy animals all over the place and our inability to notice the giant wall going up between us and England.

I also found it funny how there was also still enough purple hair dye 20 years after the lock down to support most of Glasgow :)

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I caught the Decent channel surfing sometime last year and running across Sci-Fi Channel's weekend movie marathons. Thoroughly enjoyed it, mainly because it had a completely non-sexed up female cast, almost all of whom remained relatively bad ass or level headed throughout the film. That and the sheer amount of gore (literal rivers of blood) he put those ladies through was amazing.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
The Gentleman said:
I think I fall on the other side of the fence of Bob on this one. For one, Dog Soldiers fell into my "it's another Saturday SciFi filler movie," The Descent felt like a mishmash of The Hills Have Eyes and The Cave, and Doomsday was downright dreadful.

Kudos to the guy for funding his wife's project though.
If you're talking about the remake of Hills, then The Descent predates both of those movies, so I'm not sure it can really be accused of being derivative of something that came after it.

I have yet to see The Centurion, but I agree with you up to a point. The Descent is the only one of his movies that I found to be exceptional. Dog Soldiers had potential, but its characters might as well have been wax prototypes out of a horror archetype manual, and its climax couldn't really live up to the buildup. Doomsday is primarily just good for a laugh at its sheer silliness.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Marshall is one of my favorite filmmakers to break onto the scene in the last decade, so I always try to keep an eye out for movies that he's involved in (last I heard, he's got two other movies that he wants to do: a zombie movie set on an oil rig, which might be very timely after the Gulf oil spill, and a medieval heist movie about some thieves hired to recover King Arthur's sword). Definitely want to catch Centurion, but might have to make a trip to a city with good theaters to do so.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Haven't seen Doomsday, but I'm sure I will, but as for Dog Soldiers, it's a tuly excellent example of how to make a great horror/action movie on a low budget, get a cast that works well together, realise you don't have the budget to make a realistically scary set of monsters, so use the age old technique of fast camera shots, only allowing the beasts on screen for moments at a time.

The Descent, I went into it not knowing anything, and I fear it's too late for anyone reading this, but I found it an utterly compelling piece of really tense, creepy cinema, and THEN they threw the monsters in, and just multiplied everything, the Descent could have been a pretty good movie even without them, I think.

krgskks

Jan 11, 2010
I liked Doomsday although it's pretty forgettable. Didn't see Dog Soldiers. However, I can't understand how people can like The Descent. I saw it with a couple of friends and it was just totally bad. We were laughing at some of the scenes, so maybe in terms of a B-Movie it delivers. I have yet to meet a single person who thought that movie was good.
The setting was nice, but the story and characters felt bland, the monsters were ridiculous and I fail to see how this qualifies as good horror.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
"Dog Soldiers" were rather decent, but couldna shake the feeling the whole film was just a build up to the best Matrix reference ever.

TheArma

May 19, 2009
With Dog Soldiers I think anyone who isn't a member of (or at least has a knowledge of) the British Territorial Army is probably missing a lot of what is so fantastic about the film.

I sat and watched it for the first time in barracks with a group of fellow TA Officer Candidates and it was spot-on in the way it captures what life is like in that organisation. They were not so much hard-bitten professional soldiers, but guys with normal jobs who are 'weekend warriors' trying to survive against something which killed off a group of special forces full-time professionals.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall was either in the TA or had some very good advisors!