Martin Freeman Joins Marvel Cinematic Universe In Civil War

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Martin Freeman Joins Marvel Cinematic Universe In Civil War

Martin Freeman - best known for the roles of "Bilbo Baggins" and "Doctor Watson" - has signed onto the Marvel Cinematic Universe for Captain America: Civil War

There are all kinds of reasons to be excited for Captain America: Civil War. It kicks off <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138262-Marvel-Studios-Phase-3-Plans-Revealed>Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It features <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12459-Captain-America-3-Will-Bring-Civil-War-to-the-Marvel-Cinematic-U>Iron Man and Captain America beating each other's heads in. And now there's another reason to look forward to it: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/martin%20freeman?os=martin+freeman>Martin Freeman making his Marvel Cinematic Universe debut.

"From his roles as Bilbo Baggins and Doctor Watson to Tim in The Office, Martin's range from the dramatic to the comedic has consistently impressed us," Producer Kevin Feige said in a statement. "We couldn't be more honored or excited to have such a talented actor join the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

Who will Freeman be playing as, you might ask? So would we - Marvel's still keeping that detail close its chest, so he could be Spider-Man for all we know. But considering his stellar performances in Sherlock and The Hobbit he should prove a fantastic fit. Freeman will be joined by Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johannsson, and more - basically the biggest MCU reunion that isn't called The Avengers.

But all I want to know is this: When will he pull off a hat trick by meeting Benedict "Doctor Strange" Cumberbatch <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138896-Benedict-Cumberbatch-Officially-Cast-As-Marvels-Doctor-Strange>in yet another fictional universe? Captain America: Civil War hits theaters on May 6, 2016 - precisely a year and one day from now.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/movies/24562/martin_freeman_joins_marvels_captain_america_civil_war>Marvel, via <a href=http://time.com/3847673/martin-freeman-captain-america/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Fentertainment+%28TIME%3A+Entertainment%29>Time

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
My throw into the hat is, he will be a Stryker. Which one, that far i didn't think yet.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Obviously they're reintroducing the Punisher into the universe. Freeman is obviously the perfect fit.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ChaplainOrion said:
Obviously they're reintroducing the Punisher into the universe. Freeman is obviously the perfect fit.
Look at that calm 'you what' look on his face.

He's clearly wired the entire street with explosives and you're obviously taunting him whilst stood on a landmine... and he's got a grenade launcher behind his back.

I'm hoping he's a bad guy, he was really creepy in The World's End. Or The Punisher, because it would be gold.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Well he has pretty poor political views, sounds like a good addition!

lolololololol0lol0lol11!!oneone!11

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
He's the rebooted ultron. "Oh gosh, I mean, would you humans mind if you, I dunno, just go off and die, maybe"

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
No idea, but I hope Doctor Otto Octavius, he looks the part and it'd be nice to see him as a villain for a change plus it fits with spider-man being in Civil War.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Has to be someone connected to Doctor Strange ;). Maybe someone out of Midnight Sons like the new Ghost Rider.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Soulrender95 said:
No idea, but I hope Doctor Otto Octavius, he looks the part and it'd be nice to see him as a villain for a change plus it fits with spider-man being in Civil War.
I'll be honest: aside from his role in The Worlds End, it's hard for me to see Martin Freeman playing a villain.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
wizzy555 said:
He's the rebooted ultron. "Oh gosh, I mean, would you humans mind if you, I dunno, just go off and die, maybe"
That's really depressing. If Ultron was played by Martin Freeman and said that I would hope someone would give him a hug.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
... it'd be politically incorrect. And completely ignoring the source material.
But he could be Wong from Dr Strange. Or Baron Mordo failing that.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
AndrewC said:

What are his political views?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
An older and much more awkward Peter Parker!

What? I'm allowed to dream. I think it'd be funny. It would probably be really weird, but after two different Spidermen in such a short time, I'd like something completely different.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
PleasebeCaptainBritain... PleasebeCaptainBritain... PleasebeCaptainBritain... PleasebeCaptainBritain... PleasebeCaptainBritain... PleasebeCaptainBritain...

I'll stop now. And he would be a superb Brian Braddock... Not to mention that the possibility of a Jasper's Warp movie is splendid and marvelous and magnificent and superb and... I think I need to put down the keyboard now. Wait isn't Jasper a Mutant? Where would that leave him since he's not directly connected to the X-Men in any way really outside of the Xenogenesis story arc for them...

Oh fuck it, now I'm wondering how they would film The Fury and I'm proceeding to happily grin.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
We know Civil War will feature Spider-Man, so what if all he does is play Uncle Ben in a short flashback? XD
ChaplainOrion said:
And not just any Punisher, super crazy Punisher 2099! Oh god, that would be so hilarious.
Have him just casually walk up to a villain, shooting them and then go all psycho on everyone, snapping necks and stabbing crooks with their friends' broken off arms.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Baresark said:
AndrewC said:

What are his political views?
Well he's a Labour supporter, which 10 years ago would have been kinda akin to saying he was a Democrat in the US. The thing is we are gearing up for a really strange election here in the UK, both of our major parties (Labour and the Conservatives) are trying to claim the political centre ground and the real left-right political sentiments only exist in fringe parties on the periphery.

As such it isn't really an election about left or right, and more to do with which party leader people would want running the country. Our incumbent (Conservative) is kind of an asshole and you get the feeling he doesn't really care about people but broadly speaking he is competent. The Labour leader on the other hand seems like a guy with a pretty good heart, but comes across as pretty much a total incompetent and a lot of the stuff he has come out with is very flawed and you get the feeling a lot of it is more show in order to get elected than well thought through policy. Basically he has the Gerald Ford (Nice guy but can't walk and chew gum at the same time) thing going on.

So, lots of people are really struggling with who to vote for.

OT: I'm a big fan of Martin Freeman so hope he's in a decent role that reoccurs in later movies. Although I'm not sure the internet will survive if he ends up sharing screen time with Benedict Cumberbatch.