Marty O'Donnell Fired From Bungie

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Yeah, Marty got fired from Bungie.

https://twitter.com/MartyTheElder/status/456303189998841856

Bungie put out a statement wording the event in slightly different terms and by quoting one of the key antagonists from Halo.

http://www.bungie.net/7_There-are-those-who-said-this-day-would-never-come/en/News/News?aid=11484

Not gonna lie, there's goes half of my excitement for this game, assuming of course they don't dispose of any work he's already contributed. Naturally, the Bungie forums have lit up, so at least it'll be interesting to see if any kind of explanation is given for this.

Thoughts?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Sounds like Bungie did one of the dumbest things that they could have done. Marty O'Donnell was one of their biggest assets. A big part of the reason that Halo is so iconic was its soundtrack, and even the worst Halo games were held up by epic and unforgettable soundtracks.

I have no idea what O'Donnell did to get fired, but if they really did it without a good reason, like O'Donnell claims, then Bungie's board of directors is clearly lead by morons. Like the OP I'd really like to see the explanation for this move.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I certainly hope some of his work has managed to stay in Destiny, he's a large reason I liked four of the five Bungie Halo games.

And did Bungie have to quote Truth? I mean have they seen their own games? *low voice* You don't want to look like Truth.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
My first thought was "who cares?", then I realised the name looked a bit familiar. While I'm not much of a Halo fan I have played the first two and the soundtracks are amazing (probably my favourite part of the games). It's a shame but I'm pretty sure he'll land on his feet.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I want to see a reason for this before I make any thoughts on whether O'Donnell deserved it or not.

His music is pretty dang iconic anyway, definitely the most iconic music for video games in the last decade.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I can't say I'm sad... It means he might end up making music for a game I'll actually play, as opposed to a MMO.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I'm not too bothered, the music in the Halo games didn't really grab me so I usually listened to my own. You should see Bungie.net right now, they're all crying over it and trying to make a petition to get him back. It's pretty hilarious.

Apr 28, 2008
"One of the things that I think really gets [Bungie co-founder] Jason Jones's goat sometimes is that there is still one person who can make a contribution that's outsized, and that's Marty O'Donnell," Chris Butcher tells us. "There's only one composer." - from this interview [http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/1/24/3908184/heart-of-bungie-destiny-jason-jones-marty-odonnell-halo].

Wonder if that has something to do with it.

Whatever the case, this is terrible news :(

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I'm sad now.

Hopefully the work he's already done can stay in Destiny.

All in all though I doubt he'll have any trouble finding work. The guy's music is amazing.

The ODST soundtrack... blew me away... heh...