Marvel And Sony Cast New Spider-Man

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel And Sony Cast New Spider-Man

After months of anticipation, Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures have cast their shared Spider-Man star and director.

Last February, the dreams of many superhero fans finally came true - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/12983-Spider-Man-Belongs-In-The-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe>Spider-Man was joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a shared venture between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures. But the biggest question, outside of which movie would introduce Peter Parker, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140638-Reports-Marvel-Picks-Asa-Butterfield-as-New-Spider-Man>is who would be the new Spider-Man? Now Marvel and Sony have revealed their star and a director for his upcoming film. Tom Holland will be the new Spider-Man while Jon Watts will direct the 2017 movie.

"It's a big day here at Sony," Sony Pictures Chairman Tom Rothman said. "Kevin [Feige], Amy [Pascal] and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that's why their results are so outstanding. I'm confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I've worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent.

"For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom's screen tests were special. All in all, we are off to a roaring start."

Marvel and Sony picked Holland thanks to his performances in The Impossible, Wolf Hall, and the upcoming In the Heart of the Sea. Watts, meanwhile, debuted his thriller Cop Car at the Sundance Film Festival after working on TV projects like The Fuzz and The Onion News Network.

Sony originally purchased the rights to Spider-Man film projects well before the Marvel Cinematic Universe began, producing a trilogy under Sam Raimi and two films under Mark Webb. But when those latter movies <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob>were poorly received, rumors immediately began swirling that the franchise would return to Marvel. Instead, Marvel and Sony will share the line - Sony will continue to produce Spider-Man's standalone films, but the character will make appearances in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Neither Holland and Watts are relative newcomers to the industry, but promising ones. Watts in particular could be very interesting with credits that feature comedy and action work, key elements for any Spider-Man project. For most Marvel fans, the real question is how Holland will mesh with the rest of the Avengers - something that could be teased <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140727-Captain-America-Civil-War-Reveals-Plot-And-Cast-List>as early as next year.

What do you think of the new Spider-Man star and director?

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/movies/24758/sony_pictures_and_marvel_studios_find_their_spider-man_star_and_director>Marvel

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Could work out just fine, actually. Many of the more recent cartoons Spidey appeared in portrayed him as a scrawny-looking kid as opposed to a high-school graduate or a college student, and Holland looks the part for Parker, complete with a face that's equal parts shy nerd and cheeky brat. I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes the character.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
Oh look another white Spiderman. How original.
nothing on miles who is a great spider man but most people think peter parker when they think of spider man, so yeah he kind of has to be white. Its also good to note that given how pissed people were about the Johnny storm casting, including marvel themselves, they want to avoid the same bad press.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
I'm scared he might be a white Miles Morales. /sarcasm

I'd still prefer a black Peter Parker....
ecoho said:
CrazyBlaze said:
nothing on miles who is a great spider man but most people think peter parker when they think of spider man, so yeah he kind of has to be white. Its also good to note that given how pissed people were about the Johnny storm casting, including marvel themselves, they want to avoid the same bad press.
I still want a Neil deGrasse Tyson version of Mr. Fantastic.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
CrazyBlaze said:
We're not gonna make this into a social justice issue, are we? Not everything has to be a social justice issue.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CrazyBlaze said:
So you believe that one race is better than another? Are you stating that you would have been happier had someone of a different race gotten this job because of their race?

Interesting. Who are you implying is racist here?

Peter Parker is white, deal with it. I'm not going to get mad if the next Malcom X film decides to cast yet another black actor to play Malcom. I would get testy if it went some other way though. Parker certainly isn't a real human being but he is certainly well established in cultural lore and mythos to have a stable identity in this way.

Now, is Miles Morales interesting because he's Black/Hispanic? No, that would be a dumb and racist thing to say. He's interesting because he's a different iteration of Spider Man with a different backstory than the one we've been shown. Or, I should say he was interesting. Has the Ultimate universe crashed in on itself yet in that scheme Marvel is pulling?

Anything different in the backstory is going to be interesting. But race or gender making a character "better" or "worse"? You've got to do some serious soul searching if you think that kind of mentality is somehow progressive and not just falling back into the same ruts our forefathers fell into.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
ecoho said:
CrazyBlaze said:
Based on that logic, Nick Fury has to be white because when people think of him, they picture the David Hasselhoff-looking iteration in every permutation of the comics until the Ultimate line rolled around. Also, Heimdall.

Look, I'm not against a white Spider-Man, and Peter Parker has a special place in so many hearts, but variations of "because tradition" are a shitty excuse for typecasting.

Although I will admit I'm still sad we'll never get Miguel O'Hara on the silver screen, but considering how many Marvel characters are in decent-to-good films now, beggars can't be choosers.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Pros - They can make him work out as a hero who goes from 9th through 12th grade.

Cons - Still no Miles Morales.

Other - Maybe they won't kill off Uncle Ben until he's a sophmore or a junior? Hell, maybe they'll save a dead uncle Ben until the end of his Freshman year? I don't want another origin but it's almost inevitable

Potential Pro - I can't wait to hear him banter with Tony Stark and other Avengers.

Mar 26, 2008
Scrythe said:
Although I will admit I'm still sad we'll never get Miguel O'Hara on the silver screen, but considering how many Marvel characters are in decent-to-good films now, beggars can't be choosers.
WHAT!? Is this a fact? I'd love to see a film revolving around that guy (I had to self censor because of the spoiler).

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Ugh... they'd have trouble finding an actor that looks more harmless. I heard Peter Parker is supposed to be geeky and shit but... I dunno... I don't like his face.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I think the picture used there might be a little old, i looked it up dude is 19 which hardly makes him an adult but he looks older than he does in that picture for certain. Maybe it's just a trick of the photography and that picture was taken yesterday i've no idea.

Can't be anyworse than the last movie though can it. Good luck to him i say.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
inu-kun said:
Clap hands, exactly, I could go behind a better written character, but the popular opinion seems to be that just making a character "exotic" improves it.
Right, the fear should be that this is another poorly written Spiderman movie. Perhaps one including song and dance routines for some reason.

Not that the actor's skin isn't what we want. What kind of backwoods racism is society allowing to creep in now? "Exotic" skin color is not the new good writing.

Glad you and I are on the same page.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Should have kept Garfield but with better writing...

I know that's impossible but still he did a great job at portraying a comicbook Spidey to me.

This new actor... no absolutely not thrilled, he just doesn't look the part to me.