Marvel Announces Ant-Man Sequel, Three Other "Mystery" Films

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Jeeze, could this article have been written any more poorly and unprofessionally? It's pretty much an exercise in how NOT to report something.

(Author's note: I'm aware of the fact that I've probably come to the wrong place to air out my grievances about Marvel, but still, it had to be said.)
No, it really didn't need to be said. Especially not the way you said it.

Jake Martinez said:
I really don't understand why they are making a sequel to a flop.
Because it wasn't a flop. It made 409 million worldwide off a budget of 130 million. In what reality is that a flop?

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
MCU hate is a funny thing.
I understand that people think that they have saturated the market, I really do.
What people fail to understand though is that the real problem is how shitty Hollywood has become. There wouldn't be so many MCU movies if the industry was competitive.
90% of modern movies are uninspired formulaic reboots created to exploit nostalgia and minimize risk on every level.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
captain marvel is actually the first marvel movie named after a female protagonist. AND she isnt listed after a man

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
K12 said:
... write about something else then.

YOu know that the big MCU fans are already optimistically speculating about the MCU film coming out in 2050
i hear phase 12 is gonna awesome.
I'm so hyped for Avengers 9 which will be using the latest in VR technology, allowing you to assume the role of your favorite Avenger and actually influence the outcome of the film. Unfortunately though if you're crap at being a super hero and die in the film, the feedback backlash can kill you in real life.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm more interested in what the unnanounced ones are.

Darth Rosenberg said:
Huh, more MCU whining... Who'd a thunk it. Shouldn't there be whining about TV series? Or comicbook continuation? Or book sequels? Why are - Marvel? - film sequels so singled out negatively? So far the MCU's quality's been consistently quite strong (as a fan I'd go further than that), so the more comicbook films the better, says I.
Long as Marvel keeps putting out movies I want to see, I'm more than happy to watch them, myself. And the ones I don't care about? Well, I'm not forced to watch them. A variety of characters is exactly what I want to see.

On a related note, while I have minimal interest in Ant-Man, I'm amazed to see this movie being called a failure and a flop.

Link XL1 said:
captain marvel is actually the first marvel movie named after a female protagonist. AND she isnt listed after a man
She's been pushed back (again). This will be the first one to come out.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Hooray, some more drip feed marketting to create hype. Why be amped for a movie that you have some idea about, when you can be hyped about "Untitled Marvel films" and "Mystery boxes".

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, I'm still waiting for a good Marvel movie revolving around a woman.
Ms. Marvel got pushed back, naturally.
I mostly want to see if they're actually willing to try, or if they're just bullshitting us.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Evonisia said:
Jake Martinez said:
I really don't understand why they are making a sequel to a flop. I didn't go see Ant-Man, but I based that decision off of my gut instinct that it would suck, however I can't find a single friend of mine who did see it who thought it was better than "mediocre". Some even said it was about as bad as Iron Man 3, which in my honest opinion was terrible.
If making more than double your money back (400 million plus worldwide) and being reasonably well received is considered a flop I weep for the state of the film industry.
Well, that's actually the state of things. For a big studio like Disney (of which Marvel is now a part of) they have a limited release schedule for big movies, that is to say, they'll only release them at certain times of the year and they seldom have them competing against each other. This is so that they can maximize profits throughout the year and it makes sense - for instance, you don't release an expensive to make movie in the off season.

Secondly, that 400 million dollar figure is the gross ticket sales. It's not the actual money earned. They also have to pay various taxes in various regions, distribution fees, ticket sale sharing with theatres (although personally, I feel like this should be higher) and then they need to pay any gross points off the top of that to investors or other people (sometimes directors, producers or actors) and finally the production budget of $130 million doesn't include distribution and advertising costs. I guarantee you the actual money made off this film wasn't 400m - 130m = 270m. It was probably closer to 180m which just barely double their production costs.

Now that might sound great, I mean - double your money, right? But the truth is that when you look at the other movies that they could have released during that coveted movie going period, they really blew it. For a movie that big to gross less than 700m internationally is not a success. To give you a relative figure Disney/Marvel spent 280m on Age of Ultron and it grossed a whopping 1.5 billion dollars.

But maybe that's a little excessive considering the amount of money spent was almost double, let's look at something else that was considered a success from the same studio at a similar price: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This movie cost a reported 180m to make and grossed internationally about 715m dollars. I'm positive that despite making less than 2x as much as Ant-Man once you do accounting on say Captain America, it'll have actually earned 3-4x as much money as Ant-Man because the higher profit would have overcome various sunk costs related to the movie production and release.

Anyway, this is what movie studios are looking at - how to maximize ROI in a short window of viewing time that they have every year (there are only so many movies that they can realistically release before they start diluting or taking share away from their other movies). This is why Ant-Man is a flop - low return on investment and was a loss for Disney/Marvel on what they call "opportunity cost" - to put it bluntly, by releasing this movie they missed the opportunity to potentially release another movie that would have made them a higher return.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
I mostly want to see if they're actually willing to try, or if they're just bullshitting us.
At least they have a better tack record on the TV/Netflix division. Agents of SHIELD might as well be Skye's/Daisy's show given how important she is in that show now and Agent Carter was a blast. Jessica Jones seems to have gotten rave reviews in the preview section as well. Still, yeah, I want that Ms. Marvel soon.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
T_ConX said:
Wasp Movie confirmed to involve costume of sort
As for the three mystery movies, I find it simpler to just take a trip to the Marvel Wiki and hit the Random Page Button.
Wow that button really is random. I just rolled Conan the Barbarian, who apparently joined the Avengers in an alternate universe.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
xaszatm said:
Rebel_Raven said:
At least they have a better tack record on the TV/Netflix division. Agents of SHIELD might as well be Skye's/Daisy's show given how important she is in that show now and Agent Carter was a blast. Jessica Jones seems to have gotten rave reviews in the preview section as well. Still, yeah, I want that Ms. Marvel soon.
Yeah, hopefully solid TV showings will lead to a solid movie, and we can break the trend of basically having no good female comic character movies.

I also need to get netflix one day.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xaszatm said:
I would wait and see what Netflix actually offers before getting too hyped, though. Like, I haven't seen AoS or AC, but the environment is rather different on TV.

As for Captain Marvel, I'm beginning to think that they're going to keep bumping her. Until in like 2030 or something, they finally knock her off the slate in favour of Captain America's shield's solo movie.

...the third one.

T_ConX said:
Wasp Movie confirmed to involve costume of sort
Woah, woah, WOAH. At least mark that line with spoilers!

Ghost Flyer, a WW2 pilot version of Ghost Rider
Joking aside, I really want to see that now.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Bloody hell people, he poked fun at the MCU, he didn't stab a baby, calm the fuck down!

OT: I really enjoyed Ant-man but I need that Black Panther movie please, the Pyms can wait their turn.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Something Amyss said:
xaszatm said:
I would wait and see what Netflix actually offers before getting too hyped, though. Like, I haven't seen AoS or AC, but the environment is rather different on TV.

As for Captain Marvel, I'm beginning to think that they're going to keep bumping her. Until in like 2030 or something, they finally knock her off the slate in favour of Captain America's shield's solo movie.

...the third one.
I'm going by what what said by the people who got to see the entire first episode. I'm rather curious to see how people react to this seeing as this is apparantly faithful to Alias. While that's usually a good thing, seeing how Alias and Jessica Jones pushed the boundries of what could be shown in comics (at least in Marvel's case) it could be done poorly. Like for instance (and warning, NSFW)

It seems they are keeping Jessica Jones begging Luke Cage to rough anal sex to forget the sexual torture she was under during her capticity by the Purple Man

It's definitely darker and (hopefully) more mature than the tv offerings for sure but critics seem to love it. But there are many ways for such a plot to go wrong. But at least they have women in the title unlike the films.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Nobody seems to be pointing out that Ant-Man is the *outro* to Phase 2, with Civil War being the beginning of Phase 3.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Why does Jared Jones still have a job here, this is not reporting, this an opinion piece. So he doesn't like the MCU, fine, but he shouldn't be using "news" stories to further his agenda.

By far the worst part of this piece is the link to a video calling everyone "fags" is completely unacceptable on any vaguely news-related site.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Dont really need a Spiderman movie, had five movies already. Would prefer a Black Panther, Dr Strange or Ms Marvel movie instead.