Marvel Announces New Infinity Gauntlet Comic for Secret Wars

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel Announces New Infinity Gauntlet Comic for Secret Wars

A new version of Marvel's The Infinity Gauntlet is being co-written by Gerry Duggan and Dustin Weaver.

Beginning this May, Marvel will be releasing a new version of its classic Secret Wars storyline. Aimed at combining and reshaping the Earths from Marvel's 616 and Ultimate universes into <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139551-Marvel-Comics-and-Ultimate-Universes-Will-Merge-In-Secret-Wars>a single functioning world, it looks poised to be one of the biggest comic events <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137954-Secret-Wars-Returns-To-Marvel-Comics-For-2015-Announced-At-NYCC>of 2015 and easily the most significant thing that Marvel intends to do this year. That being the case, the company has announced yet another feather in the cap of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/secret%20wars?os=secret+wars>Secret Wars: a new version of the 1991 event comic The Infinity Gauntlet.

Co-written by Gerry Duggan and Dustin Weaver, the new Infinity Gauntlet will follow a young woman named Anwen Bakian who, in tow with her father, sister and grandfather, lives a desperate life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland searching for food and evading giant mutant bugs. Anwen's life takes a turn, however, when chance leads to her to find an Infinity Stone, a discovery that soon brings her and her family into contact with the villain Thanos.

Despite the mad titan's involvement, the writers are hoping to keep the book focused on the core of Anwen's experience. "Anwen is the reader's lens into this world, and having written another young hero for Marvel, I can tell that inexperienced characters are a real gift. They make mistakes ... and may trust the wrong characters," said Duggan. "[Anwen's] a hero with just as many problems in her personal life as she's got while she's adventuring. Those problems are intertwined in this series." Duggan would go on to describe the story as a "post-apocalyptic-coming-of-age-action-adventure yarn."
[gallery=3829]

Weaver and Duggan have also promised that the book won't just be a rehash of the original Infinity Gauntlet story. While the new comic will "reuse some old ideas and characters," readers can still expect a fresh book full of "brand new concepts." How it plays out and the greater role it winds up having in the wider cosmic storylines of the future Marvel Universe is something we're excited to see.

Source: <a href=http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/infinity-gauntlet-no-1-preview-gerry-duggan-dustin-weaver-get-cosmic/#/0>LA Times

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
So how does this fit into the existing canon? Is just a "remake" similar to a movie? a stand-alone thing because it's been 24 years since the original and it looks like this is where the movies are going? Or is this meant to somehow supersede the original in the canon? I'm a huge fan of the original, I don't really see the point of treading old ground on existing stories for any reason besides *maybe* bringing the younger crowd up-to-date. Even then, I think I would rather see a special edition re-release of the original. That might just be nostalgia talking though.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh... Marvel has been employing awful writers in these cosmic events... I'll pass. I can't get rid of the taste of Infinity in my mouth... it was so boring and poorly written. Duggan is a mixed bag. Dustin Weaver has written next to nothing but I do enjoy his pencils.

Yeah... I doubt I'll be paying too much attention to this. The original had all kinds of spectacle to it, massive shots with huge amounts of heroes on the page, it wasn't afraid to throw everybody in and featured the work of Ron Lim, who stands as the definitive Surfer artist to this day.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
JamesBr said:
So how does this fit into the existing canon? Is just a "remake" similar to a movie? a stand-alone thing because it's been 24 years since the original and it looks like this is where the movies are going? Or is this meant to somehow supersede the original in the canon? I'm a huge fan of the original, I don't really see the point of treading old ground on existing stories for any reason besides *maybe* bringing the younger crowd up-to-date. Even then, I think I would rather see a special edition re-release of the original. That might just be nostalgia talking though.
They are doing this because this is essentially where they are going with the Avengers movies. They want a fresher version of one of the definitive cosmic storylines, which I doubt it will stand up very well at all, to be honest.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
They just did this! About four years ago Marvel hired Brian Clevinger to do a Infinity Gauntlet (run/rehash) for a new generation. It was funny, decently written, and managed to actually be fun!

Well, the post-apocalyptic coming-of-age story could be fun too
I guess...

HULK WANT SHOTGUN!
Doom will concede to your demands, this once.