Marvel, Brian Michael Bendis Discuss Reasons For Gay X-Man

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Uh, im not the most feverish follower of Xmen, but have we ever had information to the contrary to begin with? Or is "Being gay" the new superpower? I mean, who cares. Xmen are about superpowers and politics relating that. i dont care what sexual preferences the characters have.

SlumlordThanatos said:
Can we stop talking about this? Please?

If people want same-sex relationships to be more accepted, the best way to do that is to stop treating them as though they are special and/or groundbreaking, and start treating them like any other relationship.

This doesn't need the media attention it's getting.
This, all of this. homosexual people will never be accepted of we keep making every occasion they are noticed as "news".

Quellist said:
Typical Marvel sledgehammer subtlety. If you want a gay X-man how about instead of taking a pretty much straight-seeming character and making them gay 'because diversity' why not introduce a new character who just happens to be gay and not make a big thing about it
because people will (incorrectly) cry "tokenism".

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Strazdas said:
Uh, im not the most feverish follower of Xmen, but have we ever had information to the contrary to begin with? Or is "Being gay" the new superpower? I mean, who cares. Xmen are about superpowers and politics relating that. i dont care what sexual preferences the characters have.

SlumlordThanatos said:
Can we stop talking about this? Please?

If people want same-sex relationships to be more accepted, the best way to do that is to stop treating them as though they are special and/or groundbreaking, and start treating them like any other relationship.

This doesn't need the media attention it's getting.
This, all of this. homosexual people will never be accepted of we keep making every occasion they are noticed as "news".

Quellist said:
Typical Marvel sledgehammer subtlety. If you want a gay X-man how about instead of taking a pretty much straight-seeming character and making them gay 'because diversity' why not introduce a new character who just happens to be gay and not make a big thing about it
because people will (incorrectly) cry "tokenism".
*Sigh* I can't disagree with anything you say. It's a really depressing situation isn't it?

This is why I've always liked writers like Clive Barker. He treats all relationships and sexualities with equal weight and did so long before it became a thing...

noobiemcfoob

Mar 18, 2013
The article referred to some bad reactions over the bisexual bit, but (being bisexual myself) I found it pretty funny. I've seen the same attempts at justification from many friends who were coming to terms with their homosexuality, a type of last ditch effort at normalcy ("at least I'm half *normal*, right guys? right? no, not convincing myself either..."). Meh, maybe I'm just too indifferent over these things to begin with.

Glen Compton

May 31, 2014
Yeah Bendis is certainly not Peter David.
Peter David handled the whole Shatterstar/Rictor relationship much better and organically than this footnote outing.

I also wonder why he would make is seem like being gay is some sort of conditioned trait, considering that the older iceman is straight. I would have preferred this a lot more if they did it with the older Bobby Drake, since it would avoid the whole "is being gay nature or nurture" argument, and make a more interesting story about older people coming out and dealing with that transition.