Marvel Comics Outs A Founding X-Man As Gay

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I'm kinda annoyed that Grey just decides to drop a truth bomb on a closeted kid, and he's perfectly okay with it. I don't feel like a closeted person would react that way to a Telepath insisting that they're gay, in fact that seems like something that would back fire in a major way.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Thorn14 said:
This wouldn't be so horrible if Bendis's trademark garbage writing and Jean acting like an insufferable jerk didn't ruin it.
Seriously, who forces a person to come out like that?

"Maybe I'm bi"
"No, I've read your mind and you're full gay."
No joke. That was seriously my first thought.

"You like dick."
"But-"
"Fucking deal with it dude. I'm a telepath."

Grey comes across like a fucking dick.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Hah, I love that awkward silence where she's waving her arms, and he's just dumbly staring at her and says. "What's happening?" xD He has zero clue what she's trying to get at. That was pretty funny.

As to him being gay, don't care. The sexual orientation of the characters is irrelevant to me one way or the other. Comic book writers have changed so many damn things with so many damn characters, in order to tell their particular story, getting worked up over them deciding to make an X-Man gay isn't even a blip on my radar. I just hope the story is actually good for the people who read it. Beyond that, don't care one bit who he wants to sleep with, or any of them for that matter.

In the words of whoever that other X-Man was. "I choose to eat". So yeah, getting dinner, they can have their talk all they want.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
This has got to be one of the biggest fuck ups I have ever read. You know what might have been interesting? Both bobbies sitting down and talking it out. No. Instead we get Jean Grey mind raping Bobbie and forcing it out. Not cool.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Teen-Gay. Adult-Straight.

Those "reorientation camps" must have telepaths that make Professor X look like John Edwards.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
DC handled this better with the introduction of characters that were gay to begin with, or for whom no prior record of obvious straightness was out there (such as Bunker on the Titans, Earth-2's Green Lantern and also the Avatar of White, Appolo and the midnighter, Cassandra Kane....)

Marvel takes a character who has been all about awkward young teen angst with girls and turns that into "I'm secretly gay and pretending I am not." Which is a fine character concept but kinda sorta not the character they did it to. But that's fine, they could have picked a more exotic choice for conversion I suppose....like Iron Fist or Johnny Storm or something. Guess the jokes would be really bad then....

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
This has got to be one of the biggest fuck ups I have ever read. You know what might have been interesting? Both bobbies sitting down and talking it out. No. Instead we get Jean Grey mind raping Bobbie and forcing it out. Not cool.
X-Men writers love leaning on psychics as a crutch in place of actually having believable development

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
PsychicTaco115 said:
So I guess that makes Iceman... flaming?

OT: Cool stuff, can't complain. Just wondering how long it'll be until they reboot this and make it non-canon :p
That joke... At least in the movies, Iceman always looked as if he wanted to bang Pyro, go figure.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Oh come ON. This was one of the most ham-fisted ways to do it.

I'm bi and this is just a tad embarassing

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Let's be honest... I don't think this revelation comes as a surprise to anyone

Wait? What were we talking about???

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
It occurs to me that Iceman suppressing his sexuality throughout adulthood would easily account for the mental block/slight physiological issues that have been a major character thing for him for....a while now.

It further occurs to me that the whole "choosing to not be gay" thing is sort of fridge brilliance. These young X-Men come from like the mid-60s to late-70s, yeah? An age where the popular opinion was that being gay is a choice.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
faefrost said:
Let's be honest... I don't think this revelation comes as a surprise to anyone

Wait? What were we talking about???
I've only seen some of the movies and the 90's cartoon, never read the comics. Is it wrong that the first thing I thought after reading the title was "Cyclops."? When it turned out to be Iceman, yes, "Playing with the Boys" started playing in my head.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
At least they put some thought into this one. A great deal of thought it would seem. This is much better than the prior brief attempt to make Beast a gay character. (it lasted 1 maybe 2 issues. Turned out to just be hank screwing with a reporter. Editorial came down hard with the KlooBats that day.) And it looks a thousand times better than DC's

"Green Lantern is Gay"
"Which One?"
"The original. The old guy in the red yellow and purple outfit... that has this thing about wood."
"Ummm Why him?"
"Well because! DIVERSITY!"
"You all do realize that prior to new 52 that character was a Captain America type time lost man from the 40's-50's living and dealing with our time. Including learning to come to terms with his own gay Superhero Son? Who is himself a member of the Justice League and has been a well written character for decades. So why we changing this wonderful tale of acceptance and growth and heroism and family?"
"DIVERSITY!!! People Like dem Gayz!!!"

Sigh! I fear the stupidity has reached terminal levels in the comic industry/ Don't believe me. Go read the more recent take on Young Avengers. With its 'Everybodies Gay Just Because! Screw You!" Ending.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I always thought all the X-Men should be gay, TBH. It's about finding out at puberty that you are different from most people and will face prejudice because of it, only it was started decades ago so they couldn't be over and so they-

Wait, what? She reads his mind without consent? And the writing was just...ok, the bit where she is either standing in the same pose or she's waving her arms up and down (there are movement lines after all)...that was funny, but probably not intentionally.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Funny how people try to change sexualities (apparently? I don't know enough) and therefore push one thought forward:

"Sexuality as a choice."

So, hf with all the nutjobs who try to change homosexuals into heterosexuals. Apparently you now can "put something easier away".

I mean: WHAT THE FUCK? This sends the wrong message completely. Get an already gay character, put him in the spotlight, do some shit. But no, better CHANGE IT?

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
That...is some ugly art right there. Like seriously? I mean I don't read comics but the parts of seen of them usually look really nice. I mean those pages are just awful looking.

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
Oh for the love of ...! Seriously, Bendis, the gay folk of Earth do not need a hack like you doing a hatchet job on a beloved character just so you can look liberal or edgy (whichever you were going for).

Clunky dialogue plus inexperience in this area make this one of the most condenscending grabs for media attention I have ever seen.