Marvel Comics Will Tempt the Guardians of the Galaxy With "Untold Cosmic Power"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel Comics Will Tempt the Guardians of the Galaxy With "Untold Cosmic Power"

Marvel has released new preview images for its X-Men/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover event The Black Vortex.

You may recall back in November 2014 when Marvel announced that writer Brian Michael Bendis had plans to head up a new crossover event: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138425-Marvel-Announces-New-X-Men-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Crossover-The-Black-Vortex>The Black Vortex. A cosmic story line starring <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/x-men>the X-Men and the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/guardians%20of%20the%20galaxy?os=guardians+of+the+galaxy>Guardians of the Galaxy, it will focus on the two team's efforts to stop some of the galaxy's greatest villains from acquiring an ancient relic capable of transforming anyone who uses it into a being with cosmic superpowers. With the event set to kick off next month, Marvel is understandably hoping to get its readers excited about it. Toward that end, it's recently released a series of preview images showcasing Guardians of the Galaxy #24.

The second chapter in The Black Vortex, Guardians 24 will apparently open with the book's heroes already in possession of the titular Vortex. The relic is far from safe, however, and with baddies like Mr. Knife, Thane and the Slaughter Squad pursuing them, The Guardians and the X-Men, according to Marvel, may consider using the Black Vortex on themselves to gain "the upper hand."

The obvious question, of course, is whether or not the various members of the two hero teams will be have the inner stength enough to control themselves once they've had their powers upgraded. Considering how Marvel heroes usually react to sudden influxes of "untold cosmic power"(especially the X-Men, poor buggers), we can probably expect at least a few characters to lose their marbles, be morally corrupted or (if things get really heavy) destroy a star system or two. On the plus side, since the Guardians are involved <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138425-Marvel-Announces-New-X-Men-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Crossover-The-Black-Vortex>The Black Vortex could give us a cosmically empowered Rocket Raccoon. How awesome would that be?

[gallery=3724]

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
Guardians of the Galaxy by Bendis his horrible. Read the recently started Guardians 3000 by Dan Abnett instead. I've a feeling it will be criminally underrated, just like his 2008 Marvel cosmic fun was.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I loved the Trial of Jean Grey crossover, but it did amount to absolutely nothing, just a fun little crossover. This sounds like a good step up from that. And All-New X-Men has been more-or-less consistently excellent; much preferred over Uncanny, even though they're both Bendis.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Elader said:
Guardians of the Galaxy by Bendis his horrible. Read the recently started Guardians 3000 by Dan Abnett instead. I've a feeling it will be criminally underrated, just like his 2008 Marvel cosmic fun was.
And the movie costume is horrible to boot! :mad:

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Elader said:
I couldn't agree more. I have actually always felt Bendis was overrated anyway.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Great another wallet raping crossover that goes nowhere and gets swept under the rug to make way for the next one. Is Axis even over yet?? I hate these events because they put so little story in the main series that you're forced to get the tie-ins for the small details happening in the background.

Bendism really sucks btw. Redudant dialog, talking heads, scenes that dont go anywhere, basically plotless. I really miss the old X-men crossovers that told a complete story in 9 issues.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Don't both of these teams come across and are tempted by cosmic powers like every other issue or something? I'm pretty sure this kinda thing is a common occurrence for both.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
"...itty bitty living space."

i can't believe no one said it before me.
Darn it, you beat me to it, lol! My first thought was "they should have said 'phenomenal instead of untold.'"

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
I haven't been keeping up on Marvel for...well, years, but that third image...is that Warlock I see in the top left corner? I liked that character. This might be worth a read.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
JSoup said:
I haven't been keeping up on Marvel for...well, years, but that third image...is that Warlock I see in the top left corner? I liked that character. This might be worth a read.
Yup that's him. Him and Doug Ramsey both were return to active character status during the X-Men crossover event Necrosha a few years ago

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
Just finished reading Axis and Original Sin, the writing for these event type books hasnt improved imho. I'll just borrow this from a friend when the collected version comes out.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
DeimosMasque said:
JSoup said:
Yup that's him. Him and Doug Ramsey both were return to active character status during the X-Men crossover event Necrosha a few years ago
Cool beans. Guess it's time to catch up.