Marvel Fans Rejoice: Netflix Renews Daredevil For A Second Season

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel Fans Rejoice: Netflix Renews Daredevil For A Second Season

Netflix's Daredevil series has been renewed for a second season, debuting the same year as Luke Cage.

After months of anticipation, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140476-Netflix-Adds-Audio-Descriptions-to-Daredevil-for-Blind-Fans>Netflix's Daredevil series launched this month to great critical acclaim. Between <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/13792-Is-Netflixs-Daredevil-Better-Than-Foxs-Ben-Affleck-Version>new takes on iconic characters, subtle ties to the Marvel films, and <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B66feInucFY>some absolutely fantastic fight scenes, Daredevil gave us many reasons <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129408-Disney-Netflix-Team-Up-To-Bring-Marvels-Flawed-Heroes-To-Life>to get excited for future Netflix superhero series. The good news is that we won't have to wait until The Defenders to see Matt Murdock next - Daredevil has been renewed for a second season that debuts in 2016.

Netflix's original plan was to release four series about small-scale Marvel superheroes - Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and A.K.A. Jessica Jones - before bringing them together in an Avengers-style Defenders mini-series. But Daredevil's success means it will get another full season while the other heroes are being introduced. It's not clear which comic book storyline Season 2 will focus on, but the mysterious Hand organization - and perhaps Elektra herself - is a solid bet.

That said, Daredevil will undergo one major change - Steven S. DeKnight is stepping down as showrunner. "While previous commitments unfortunately prevent me from continuing on with Daredevil into its second season," DeKnight said, "I could not be happier that [writers] Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are carrying the torch. They were invaluable collaborators during our first season, and I for one can't wait to see what they do with the show moving forward."

DeKnight worked on Daredevil as creator and executive producer, and is largely responsible for the show's unique tone. For example, he <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/13792-Is-Netflixs-Daredevil-Better-Than-Foxs-Ben-Affleck-Version.2>pushed Wilson Fisk's introduction from the pilot to the third episode, building far more suspense around the villain. He's also credited with testing Marvel's comfort zone by making Daredevil a darker superhero than what we've seen in the films. (Ironically, he's probably the only MCU superhero who struggles with killing enemies - yet it still worked somehow.)

Even with DeKnight stepping down, Daredevil getting a second season is great news for superhero. As for the rest of the Defenders, A.K.A. Jessica Jones will launch later this year while Luke Cage will debut in 2016 alongside Daredevil Season 2.

Source: <a href=http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/21/daredevil-renewed-season-2>Entertainment Weekly

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Great news. It will be good bye Fisk and hello Kingpin. I think Daredevil destroyed Fisk and his vision. I think when he gets out of prison thats when he will officially be Kingpin and why he wants Daredevil dead.

If they can keep the 2nd series up to the same high level of acting, directing and fight scenes then it will succeed.

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
Fanghawk said:
He's also credited with testing Marvel's comfort zone by making Daredevil a darker superhero than what we've seen in the films. (Ironically, he's probably the only MCU superhero who struggles with killing enemies - yet it still worked somehow.)
I actually think it makes the most sense that Daredevil doesn't kill, he is in the best position to see his enemies as people. He understands the environments that breed them and the basic struggles of living in Hell's Kitchen. So while everyone else just sees the criminals as monsters, Matt never forgets they are human too.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
My one concern is I really wanted to see the Iron Fist series and I'm worried this means it'll get pushed back. That said, more Daredevil is never a bad thing.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Daredevil was an unbelievably good show. Like I could not believe how well the show turned out to be. They made the blind/heightened senses thing a thousand times more interesting than the movie. He's basically a bonafide superhero now.

I was a afraid that the series might slow down now that he's gone full Daredevil and now it's only compounded with the fact that the show runner is leaving and apparently he contributed a lot to what made it a good show. shit

I hope they keep the momentum going.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
My one concern is I really wanted to see the Iron Fist series and I'm worried this means it'll get pushed back. That said, more Daredevil is never a bad thing.
I doubt it. I'm willing to bet the Defender series will come before the next Daredevil one. Most of netflix's series only update once a year so its unlikely. I'm guessing that Iron Fist and Luke Cage will have one come out at the end of this year and the other at the start of next year.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
CrazyBlaze said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
I doubt it. I'm willing to bet the Defender series will come before the next Daredevil one. Most of netflix's series only update once a year so its unlikely. I'm guessing that Iron Fist and Luke Cage will have one come out at the end of this year and the other at the start of next year.
Well, as it stands, Luke Cage is slated for 2016 and Iron Fist is unannounced. Not saying it CAN'T happen but I am kinda worried.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
CrazyBlaze said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
Well, as it stands, Luke Cage is slated for 2016 and Iron Fist is unannounced. Not saying it CAN'T happen but I am kinda worried.
Yep. It's assumed that Iron Fist will be 2016 and Defenders 2017, but not confirmed.

Either way, it seems likely that the success of this series will mean good things for the others, not bad.

JackgarPrime

Jul 17, 2012
Excellent, but unsurprising news. To be honest, I'm still a little bit nervous about what might go down in an Iron Fist show, so I think doing another Daredevil season could buy them some more time and experience before tackling that one.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Booklover13 said:
Fanghawk said:
He's also credited with testing Marvel's comfort zone by making Daredevil a darker superhero than what we've seen in the films. (Ironically, he's probably the only MCU superhero who struggles with killing enemies - yet it still worked somehow.)
I actually think it makes the most sense that Daredevil doesn't kill, he is in the best position to see his enemies as people. He understands the environments that breed them and the basic struggles of living in Hell's Kitchen. So while everyone else just sees the criminals as monsters, Matt never forgets they are human too.
I think it's also worth remembering that Daredevil is also the only hero so far in the MCU whose enemies where just street criminals.

Iron Man has been fighting terrorists for the most part, Cap fighting other soldiers, Hulk only killed aliens, Black Widow and Hawkeye where part of the spy game, and Guardians where already criminals fighting other criminals, corrupt cops and soldiers who all wanted to kill them right back with lasers and space ships.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
WarpedLord said:
Yep. It's assumed that Iron Fist will be 2016 and Defenders 2017, but not confirmed.

Either way, it seems likely that the success of this series will mean good things for the others, not bad.
I get what you're saying (and I really hope you're right) but the old layout had 2 every year (DD and JJ 2015, LC and IF 2016) but assuming they keep it it'll be three in 2016 followed by Defenders. I'd really, really like it if they stuck to that, but I'm worried they'll supplant Iron Fist and do it in 2017 pre-Defenders (though given the Steel Serpent and Madame Gao stuff in Daredevil it feels kinda insane to delay that more)

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
Daredevil was an unbelievably good show. Like I could not believe how well the show turned out to be. They made the blind/heightened senses thing a thousand times more interesting than the movie. He's basically a bonafide superhero now.

I was a afraid that the series might slow down now that he's gone full Daredevil and now it's only compounded with the fact that the show runner is leaving and apparently he contributed a lot to what made it a good show. shit

Right? This is what happened to the Walking Dead after season 1. On the other hand its also what happened to Silent Hill and we got Silent Hill 2 and 3 out of it so who knows? But I'm betting it will be shit since the one taking all the chances have left. I feel like the other two in charge will be less likely to go against bland studio expectations and do something unique.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Zontar said:
Hulk only killed aliens
I might be wrong about this, but didn't he... enthusiastically dispatch... his thug co-workers and countless American soldiers in Incredible Hulk?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fanghawk said:
Zontar said:
Hulk only killed aliens
I might be wrong about this, but didn't he... enthusiastically dispatch... his thug co-workers and countless American soldiers in Incredible Hulk?
That may be the case, but from what I've seen in the comics (616, not Ultimates in this case, never Ultimates when it comes to Hulk) Hulk has always been one who managed to keep the damage purely material, as his destruction always came without the lose of life due to Hulk's not wanting to harm anyone coupled with the use of Banner's intellect to prevent that.

In fact, he was exiled from Earth in the prelude to Planet Hulk and World War Hulk due to people dying after a fight he started with The Thing (something which was later retconed to being only injuring them).

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
thanatos388 said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

Right? This is what happened to the Walking Dead after season 1. On the other hand its also what happened to Silent Hill and we got Silent Hill 2 and 3 out of it so who knows? But I'm betting it will be shit since the one taking all the chances have left. I feel like the other two in charge will be less likely to go against bland studio expectations and do something unique.
In all fairness the second season of Walking Dead also had to deal with a budget cut and a near doubling of the episode count on top of loosing its showrunners, while here it's only the showrunners who are leaving, and given how the first season turned out they may be willing to take more chances given how it ended up releasing a show so popular it crashed Netflix.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Zontar said:
Fanghawk said:
Zontar said:
Hulk only killed aliens
That may be the case, but from what I've seen in the comics (616, not Ultimates in this case, never Ultimates when it comes to Hulk) Hulk has always been one who managed to keep the damage purely material, as his destruction always came without the lose of life due to Hulk's not wanting to harm anyone coupled with the use of Banner's intellect to prevent that.

In fact, he was exiled from Earth in the prelude to Planet Hulk and World War Hulk due to people dying after a fight he started with The Thing (something which was later retconed to being only injuring them).
Sure, the comics are one thing, but I'm talking about the MCU. And the movie seems to imply pretty heavily that when Bruce loses his temper, people can die. I just don't recall if it specifically puts any bodies at his feet.

Even in Avengers, Black Widow is running away from Hulk and her face isn't saying "Oh no he might temporarily injure me".

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fanghawk said:
Zontar said:
Fanghawk said:
Zontar said:
Hulk only killed aliens

Sure, the comics are one thing, but I'm talking about the MCU. And the movie seems to imply pretty heavily that when Bruce loses his temper, people can die. I just don't recall if it specifically puts any bodies at his feet.

Even in Avengers, Black Widow is running away from Hulk and her face isn't saying "Oh no he might temporarily injure me".
I always felt that one of the reasons Shield let Banner run around while keeping an eye on him instead of keeping him in that special cage was due to him not being a threat to life. I mean in the collage assault scene in Incredible Hulk we see that the vehicles he smashes up have had their occupants dropped out.

If someone did die in that movie because of him, I don't recall seeing it.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Zontar said:

Now Blomsky survived that thanks to the gamma treatment he'd received. Without it, he would've been comatose and paralyzed for the rest of his life (at best).

I suspect other faceless enemies in the show are getting it worse - but we don't actually see them dying because you're supposed to be cheering for Hulk in the end.

It seems to me Shield had Banner there just because Fury wanted him there - other Shield agents (Black Widow in particular) are clearly terrified of him and take every step to make sure he can be brought in safely. (All the extra agents deployed while Widow is negotiating with them.)

I doubt everyone would be so scared of him if all these reports ended with "No fatalities".

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Zontar said:
thanatos388 said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

In all fairness the second season of Walking Dead also had to deal with a budget cut and a near doubling of the episode count on top of loosing its showrunners, while here it's only the showrunners who are leaving, and given how the first season turned out they may be willing to take more chances given how it ended up releasing a show so popular it crashed Netflix.
Thats true of the show. I was more thinking of the Telltale games though. But I guess they were also split between two projects at the time and everything.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Great news. I love the Daredevil show, not finished with it yet. I'm looking very much forward to see what else netflix will create with Marvels stock.

What I'm most excited about is the Jessica Jones series. Alias is one of my favorite comics of all time, and if they can manage to make a female character that is more than a pair of boobs...I'll be so thrilled. Go go Marvel!