Marvel Giving Thor's Hammer New Female Friendly Inscription

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
JimB said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
It could've had "thee" or "they" to begin with.
"Thee" is a second-person pronoun. It's a little clumsy in this instance. I personally hate "they" when used as a singular pronoun, but it is more or less acceptable.
iirc, it's also very informal, "thee" and "thou" held the implication that you were friends with the person it referred to, like the difference between saying "hello" and "hey"/"hi"/"aight?" nowadays

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
This is all wonderfully inclusive but they already did it two decades ago. See What If...? V2 #66, October 1994 "What If... Rogue Possessed the Power of Thor?"

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
DoctorImpossible said:
This is all wonderfully inclusive but they already did it two decades ago. See What If...? V2 #66, October 1994 "What If... Rogue Possessed the Power of Thor?"

Thank you. I was worried that I was the only one who remembered that. The "he or she" thing fell out of general use, but it's inclusive and would make sense. Changing it to "she" almost implies Mjolnir has become the Witchblade and won't work for men (being tired of their shit).

The point is, of course, rather moot. Either these will be great stories about a great character, or they're going to be total crap. The fine details are going to be lost in the shuffle.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DoctorImpossible said:
This is all wonderfully inclusive but they already did it two decades ago.
I don't think a one-off issue of an explicitly not-canon book really counts as "doing this before."

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
JimB said:
I don't think a one-off issue of an explicitly not-canon book really counts as "doing this before."
I didn't say it had been done well, or had long-lasting effects, now did I? Only that it has been done, and the proof is right there in front of you.

Try hard enough and you can probably manufacture a few excuses for why this new version doesn't count either.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DoctorImpossible said:
JimB said:
I didn't say it had been done well, or had long-lasting effects, now did I?
No, just that "this" had been done before. I don't know what you think "this" is, but I would describe "this" as a woman becoming Thor in Marvel 616 continuity for an extended period of time.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
you know the whole point of these shaking up the paradigm stuff is just to get people actually caring and discussing thor and comics in general outside the context of the films. it's obviously working.

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
JimB said:
I don't know what you think "this" is, but I would describe "this" as a woman becoming Thor in Marvel 616 continuity for an extended period of time.
Then you'd be wrong, Jim, because we're specifically talking about Marvel altering the inscription on Thor's hammer to include a female wielder, as per the article title

"MARVEL GIVING THOR'S HAMMER NEW FEMALE FRIENDLY INSCRIPTION"

Maybe next time you should take the time to read the article you're commenting on before you get all huffy and decide to launch a little one-man tirade.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
DoctorImpossible said:
Then you'd be wrong, Jim, because we're specifically talking about Marvel altering the inscription on Thor's hammer to include a female wielder, as per the article title.
That is not the only conversation happening in this thread, so there's a limited amount of blame I'll accept for any misunderstandings resulting from your choice to play the pronoun game rather than refer explicitly to the subject of the discussion you're trying to have; and who's "we," exactly?

DoctorImpossible said:
Maybe next time you should take the time to read the article you're commenting on before you get all huffy and decide to launch a little one-man tirade.
Two things, DoctorImpossible. First, prior to this post, I have only spoken three sentences to you across two different posts, so I don't know what you think a tirade is, but I'm pretty sure we disagree on the definition. Second, I find your accusation that I haven't read the article kind of ironically amusing, since I don't think you've read the thread, or else you'd know that I have made roughly a dozen posts in it, that the point you've made has already been made in it, and the image you've posted has already been posted in it.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Eh, no point in getting upset over these things. The Status Quo will be back in time for Avengers 2.