Marvel Has Fantastic Four Reboot Cast Killed... In a Comic

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel Has Fantastic Four Reboot Cast Killed... In a Comic

Did Hollywood studio squabbling spill over into comics?

The story of Marvel Studios and Twentieth Century Fox's undermine and hurt [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136248-Fantastic-Four-Reboot-Might-Not-Be-A-Trainwreck-After-All-Might-Not] the rival studio's Fantastic Four reboot.

Meanwhile, through Marvel's doing or otherwise, Fox has found itself with a reboot that can't stop generating bad news - whether in the form of actively hiding [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137535-Fantastic-Four-Reboot-Delayed-Again] from both audiences and the press.

Now, it looks like Marvel may have opted to kick their box-office rival while they're down. In the most-recent issue of Punisher, a group of actors clearly modeled on the reboot cast's Miles Teller (Mr. Fantastic), Kate Mara (Invisible Woman) and Jamie Bell (The Thing) are seen discussing a director named "Trang" and an actor named "Mike" (a clear reference to reboot director Josh Trank [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5333-Chronicle] and Human Torch actor Michael B. Jordan) ...before they're all incinerated in a violent explosion!

[gallery=3575]

Officially, both Marvel and Fox have said that the rumors of conflict have been exaggerated. [http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-four-cancellation-conspiracy/] But gags like this are unlikely to calm speculation down - especially as Fox continues to hold back from promoting the film.

Fantastic Four (and its still very much alive cast) is scheduled to hit theaters in August of 2015.

Source: Comic Book Movie [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/fuffy/news/?a=111604]

vid87

May 17, 2010
That's...just tasteless, simulating the death of (implied) real-life people out of spite. And I really hate to think Marvel is that petty that they're sacrificing beloved characters to protect their bottom line.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Anyone else find this a tad tasteless if true?

I mean especially for the re-boot cast. It's kinda just drawing pictures of people dying... I mean if we did this about politicians, or someone who disagreed with us on the internet in 140 characters or less, we might end up on Bob's list of "Good Targets"

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I have to say, I found it funny that my post was sandwiched between the below two posts.

vid87 said:
That's...just tasteless, simulating the death of (implied) real-life people out of spite. And I really hate to think Marvel is that petty that they're sacrificing beloved characters to protect their bottom line.
While I agree with the sentiment, I can only imagine that Marvel is probably sick of seeing not only their own oldest IP used against them as a constant reminder that they got screwed. And it's not even one of those things where fox had a great idea for the source material and got it while it was cheap, they just bought everything up and than proceeded to just crap out garbage movies with Marvel's logo all over them. Must continue to be quite the burn. I mean no matter how you slice it, they'll get at least a small boost just from having all those marvel logo's all over it. That being said, I still stand behind tasteless and agree with petty too.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Tasteless? No. I could see an argument for petty, though.
I would say both apply, but for curiosity sake why do you think that? I would be more inclined to see the reverse as being true (i.e Tasteless but not petty).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Snerk*

It wouldn't be the first time a comic's done that. Just add it to the list. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TakeThat/ComicBooks]

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I think this is pretty stupid. The movie is not out so there is no reason to despise it. I don't even see why people hate the old Fantastic Four movies. The second was not that good but overall they were a product of their time and visually pretty faithful to the characters.

Marvel sold the character film rights in order to stay in business and they are the ones who agreed to contracts that allow the characters to stay with Fox and Sony to this day so really this is just an example of a stupid company that is mad about something they caused themselves.

Also I hope they never get the Xmen film rights back because I enjoyed Days of Future Past a million times more than a good chunk of Marvel's movies.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Oh no, our beloved characters, whatever we will do...

P.S. To get the point you must read this in the most indifferent and emotionless tone possible

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wait, there's a new Fantastic Four film? As in, it's coming out fairly soon? Wow, they really AREN'T marketing it...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think people should take this as anything more than comic book artists having some fun with the inevitable explosion of bad reviews this movie will get. Everything about it sounds abysmal. These guys know it and most of you know it, so they decided to have some fun with the fact. I really doubt that it's some kind of evil plan to undermine the film. The only people that will care about this are the same people that know how much this movie is going to suck.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Ok, that seems petty and tacky (not to mention cheap).

Not that I think comic book artists are above it, but still... that seems like unnecessary bridge-burning by all parts involved.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Is this the reboot cast who made those two shittastic movies a while back? ... no need to undermine them methinks.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
HILARIOUS.
I hope Marvel finds about a trillion more ways to just REALLY jab Fox right in the eyes.

Maybe one day Fox will just give up on making FF movies because the world in general will have finally figured out that Fox's Marvel movies suck ass.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I shook my head in disbelief, with a faint smile on my lips.

Oh Marvel, you sometimes DO act like a five year old...
Yet that five year old is making all the money in the universe, hence the smile. Just unbelievable.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
They are clearly still alive in panel 4. If they really do die it must be in panels that aren't posted in the article.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Jandau said:
Wait, there's a new Fantastic Four film? As in, it's coming out fairly soon? Wow, they really AREN'T marketing it...
Yep. And that says a hell of a lot about how good Fox seems to think it is. Inspires all kinds of confidence.

waynoinsano

Jun 7, 2011
Might just be a marketing stunt. Movie sounds so bad that no one wants to see but if Marvel acts like they are actively trying to sabotage it people might go for pure "train-wreck" factor.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Okay, while I usually find a rivalry between companies entertaining, this is a rather tasteless move. Especially since the actors in question don't pull the strings at Fox, they're just doing their job.