Marvel Has Fantastic Four Reboot Cast Killed... In a Comic

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Saltyk said:
Jandau said:
Wait, there's a new Fantastic Four film? As in, it's coming out fairly soon? Wow, they really AREN'T marketing it...
Yep. And that says a hell of a lot about how good Fox seems to think it is. Inspires all kinds of confidence.
To be fair, it's Fox. It's just as likely that if they think it's crap, it's actually amazing... ;)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Jinjer said:
Okay, while I usually find a rivalry between companies entertaining, this is a rather tasteless move. Especially since the actors in question don't pull the strings at Fox, they're just doing their job.
No kidding, if the company had an actual spine they would go after the executives, but of course they won't do that. And of course they also won't do this with X-Men or Spider-man which are higher selling titles. Seriously, this reminds me of why I find Marvel to be so irritating; this is straight-up petty and cowardly. The lack of professionalism is just disgusting.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, that is extremely petty. I would say I expected better from Marvel, but I'm just a bit too cynical to actually say that and be telling the truth.

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
Sending up a rival via the medium? It's been done before. In Marvel's shoes, I'd have aimed for the directors, producers or head of Fox, rather than the actors, though the latter are probably more recognizable. Other comics have shown caricatures of politicians or people the authors don't like in various ridiculous positions, and you know what, it's a bit petty but hey, fair enough, and sometimes it can be quite funny. However, poking fun at Fox's FF is one thing; showing the avatars of real people getting wiped out (presumably, though the panels displayed don't show it) is quite another and passes that line of humor by a mile. The joke, if that's what it was, fell really, really flat, Marvel.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah, this could have been done so more tastefully, killing the characters is one thing (the way Batman Beyond did it) but killing the actors is a bit OTT.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Not all that bad, it represents the impact on the careers of the actors in the FF movie when it bombs. ;-)

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
While Marvel are having petty inter battles with themselves, DC on the other hand are trying to get stuff done movie wise. DC's TV, Comics and Games are great and getting better, while Image Comics, Vertigo (DC) and others seems to get more spotlight now. But seriously Marvel, get your shit together and STOP FIGHTING!!

ADDED NOTE: And yeah, I want to see more Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo (DC) and other non Marvel/DC IP being adapted to the big and small screen. They would bring something different and unique. God damn it, I love different range of story telling. XD

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Quellist said:
Yeah, this could have been done so more tastefully, killing the characters is one thing (the way Batman Beyond did it) but killing the actors is a bit OTT.
Yeah, what do the actors even have to do with this? They're just doing their jobs. Reminds me of those crazy fans who harass and annoy actors that portray characters they hate.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Kameburger said:
Anyone else find this a tad tasteless if true?

I mean especially for the re-boot cast. It's kinda just drawing pictures of people dying... I mean if we did this about politicians, or someone who disagreed with us on the internet in 140 characters or less, we might end up on Bob's list of "Good Targets"
Personally, I think that's hilarious. I'm sure the little prima donnas will survive this slight.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Mangod said:
You think this is stupid, compare it to what Fox are apparently doing to the movie. Just... just read this, and get a crowbar to pry your hand from your face.

http://thegoodthebadtheinsulting.blogspot.se/2014/11/2015s-fantastic-four-film-doctor-doom.html

I'll admit that what Marvel did in that comic feels a little tasteless, but on the other hand, given how the source material is being treated by Fox, I think I'll just call this one even.
So they turn Doctor Doom into a blogger and its the worst thing in the world.

Yet Iron Man 3 turned the Mandarin into a white businessman and everythins peachykeen.

Why don't we actually wait and see what happens before people get all shitty about this.

Sean Kay

Jul 4, 2011
shintakie10 said:
Mangod said:
You think this is stupid, compare it to what Fox are apparently doing to the movie. Just... just read this, and get a crowbar to pry your hand from your face.

http://thegoodthebadtheinsulting.blogspot.se/2014/11/2015s-fantastic-four-film-doctor-doom.html

I'll admit that what Marvel did in that comic feels a little tasteless, but on the other hand, given how the source material is being treated by Fox, I think I'll just call this one even.

Yet Iron Man 3 turned the Mandarin into a white businessman and everythins peachykeen.

Why don't we actually wait and see what happens before people get all shitty about this.
Except we know whats going to happen. Its going to be a sequel to Chronicle poorly disguised as a Fantastic Four movie. As for The Mandarin, frankly, no one gives the remotest level of a fuck, he's only Iron Man's Big Bad because otherwise Iron Man's greatest nemesis is a bottle of Jack Daniels. The Fantastic Four are an icon of Marvel comics, and Fox is just shitting out crap movies purely to justify their holding onto the rights with no attention or care for the source material

Wolyo

Sep 27, 2013
shintakie10 said:

You should watch the Marvel One-shot "All hail the King"

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
FrozenLaughs said:
They are clearly still alive in panel 4. If they really do die it must be in panels that aren't posted in the article.
kat-pottz said:
either these panels are in the wrong order or your missing one in the gallery Bob.
I noticed this too. It seems like the explosions are taking place in buildings all around them. However, they are clearly alive and well in panel 4. Sue does get cut off mid-sentence, but that could just be by Johnny's arrival in the next panel. So unless there is a 5th panel he didn't post that unambiguously shows their building blowing up, I would say Bob jumped the gun here.
Wolyo said:
shintakie10 said:

You should watch the Marvel One-shot "All hail the King"
Seconding this, you find out that things are most definitely not "peachykeen".

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Imagine Marvel being upset at Fox continually molesting their IP for cheap and sub-par movies just so that they can retain the rights.

Also,

vid87 said:
That's...just tasteless, simulating the death of (implied) real-life people out of spite. And I really hate to think Marvel is that petty that they're sacrificing beloved characters to protect their bottom line.
It's commentary on the film, not an implied death threat. I took it the way it was obviously meant to be taken and I didn't clutch my pearls and run for the fainting couch.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Well the reboot cast is rediculous anyways... they're what, 16-19 and supposed to be experienced scientists and astronaughts?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Jandau said:
Wait, there's a new Fantastic Four film? As in, it's coming out fairly soon? Wow, they really AREN'T marketing it...
Given what looks to be a MASSIVE departure from the comics, I count this as a good thing.

While I was not thrilled with the Amazing Spiderman movies, they do stick to the lore more, despite 'simple' logic (Everything is OsCorp's fault) and that is also where Peter buys his industrial strength webbing from.

I mean, making Victor Von Doom, one of the best comic book villains a freaking blogger, is like making Thor into Bob the Builder.

This is a movie I will be avoiding, gladly.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Hasn't Marvel also discontinued all Fantastic Four comics in lead up to the film? Or did I imagine that?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would of prefer another parody/ gag than to have a bunch of lookalike to be killed off.