Marvel Has Fantastic Four Reboot Cast Killed... In a Comic

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nurb said:
Well the reboot cast is rediculous anyways... they're what, 16-19 and supposed to be experienced scientists and astronaughts?
Yeah, we expect realism from our comics about child prodigies who accidentally turn their friends into physics-defying freaks.

Fun fact: Miles Teller is six years older than the character he played was in the Ultimate comics, which is what this movie's supposedly based on.

Don't get me wrong, I think this movie's gonna suck, but this seems like a petty nit to pick. Especially given the source material.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think it's very Meta. Marvel are punishing Fox for their mistreatment of one of their most popular franchises by killing off the movie in a comic book story. It's a very clever allegory when you think about it. So, yeah, you are plain wrong if you think this is any kind of morbid wish for pain and suffering on the actual people working on the movie.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Nurb said:
Well the reboot cast is rediculous anyways... they're what, 16-19 and supposed to be experienced scientists and astronaughts?
Yeah, we expect realism from our comics about child prodigies who accidentally turn their friends into physics-defying freaks.

Fun fact: Miles Teller is six years older than the character he played was in the Ultimate comics, which is what this movie's supposedly based on.

Don't get me wrong, I think this movie's gonna suck, but this seems like a petty nit to pick. Especially given the source material.
It's not a nitpick, the "Hotter! Younger!" direction of reboots is a big issue, especially when trying to make people look like scientists.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nurb said:
It's not a nitpick, the "Hotter! Younger!" direction of reboots is a big issue, especially when trying to make people look like scientists.
Except it's not really "hotter! Younger!" here, is it? Reed was 21 in the Ultimate comics, and mid twenties in the original comics. The only person who was likely to be older in the first place is the guy who will probably spend the movie either in a CGI suit or a foam rubber rock costume, and even then, I don't think he was supposed to be significantly older than Reed.

The fact is, this is older than you think. Reed, Ben and Johnny were all youthful prodigies of one sort or another, and Sue was portrayed as still a kid when she took interested in Reed. This is discounting the Ultimates origin, because it demonstrates how far back the idea of them as youthful.

And that's exactly why it is a nitpick. A poorly chosen one at that. It's like complaining that Sony decided to make Spider-Man a teenager or that Fox decided to capitalise on Nazis by making Magneto German.

The casting here may end up being the most authentic part of the movie.

...Given the supposedly plot, that includes Michael B Jordan.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
Wow, talk about petty and mean-spirited. What did these guys ever do to you, Marvel?
They made movies that aren't moving comics.

Granted, I think it's because the team is boring, but that's just me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
Wow, talk about petty and mean-spirited. What did these guys ever do to you, Marvel?
I feel as though the proper answer lies in Zulu.

008Zulu said:
I think it's very Meta. Marvel are punishing Fox for their mistreatment of one of their most popular franchises by killing off the movie in a comic book story. It's a very clever allegory when you think about it. So, yeah, you are plain wrong if you think this is any kind of morbid wish for pain and suffering on the actual people working on the movie.
Yes, 008 Zulu, serving British secret service since 1989. Good show, sir. Good show...

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
To everyone crying about tasteless and petty: Oh, boo-hoo.

What's petty and tasteless is Fox continuing to pump out another shitty movie as their contract nears the end of it's limits so that they can maintain the rights to them with no concern for the fans or the source material.

I hope Marvel and Disney keep this kind of thing up. Use every dirty trick they can legally do to try to force Fox and Sony to give up the rights to their licensed Marvel franchises.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Darxide said:
What's petty and tasteless is Fox continuing to pump out another shitty movie as their contract nears the end of it's limits so that they can maintain the rights to them with no concern for the fans or the source material.
Kind of ironic, considering you took the position of

Darxide said:
Oh, boo-hoo.
That's a mighty shiny mirror, there.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I feel bad for the people involved in the Fantastic Four reboot, what with all the MCU fanboys out there who'd already decided to hate it the moment it was announced. As for this? Eh, I'm guessing it's just Marvel pandering to their most ''intensely devoted'' fans.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
The entire cast of the X-Men in 2000 was a one in a million shot. They decided to give the then unknown Hugh Jackman a major lead as Wolverine. Mixed with more established actors like Halle Berry and Jean Luc Stewart & Gandalf McKellen their film was a major success.

Flash forward to 2011 and another success was made with X-Men: First Class. Relatively unknown young actors which also made lots of money and it also was critically acclaimed by many reviewers.

A year later the Hunger Games (that's a pretty diversion but I will explain why) came out and also filled the box office registers. With that in mind, you could say that they want to pander to the teen demographic and cast a new group of young actors. And they hope to establish a connection to said teen demographic.

Marvel on the other hand doesn't trust this (and for good reasons). They think that this film will become yet another Twilight/Hunger Games/Diversion like franchise. With no real actual motivation besides making money. And that's where they don't want to have their name attached to it.

I agree that they don't have to be so petty about it. And besides, they were the one who placed their name on the contracts signed 10 years ago. If they don't like it, then don't support it. But don't kick it while it's already down and out.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
norwegian goose said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I feel bad for the people involved in the Fantastic Four reboot, what with all the MCU fanboys out there who'd already decided to hate it the moment it was announced. As for this? Eh, I'm guessing it's just Marvel pandering to their most ''intensely devoted'' fans.
Pretty sure most people hate it because everything about this movie sounds "greedy and lazy studio project" even more than about all other superheroe movies.
From what I can tell many of the people hating on it are just trying to spin every bit of news about it into something negative. Things like: ''Why is Fox releasing so little information about it?'' (yet Amazing Spider-Man 2 got ripped on for having so many trailers and previews) or ''Doom is a hacker now? That's totally unlike the comics!'' (but even Marvel takes liberties with their source material), not to mention Miles Teller getting made fun of for saying that the reboot will take ''a more mature approach'' (yet Winter Soldier is widely considered one of the best MCU movies).

As someone who isn't part of the superhero/comics scene, the infighting just puzzles me.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wow. This is just, catty. Did an editor at Marvel approve of this after the writer and illustrators came up with it, or did he order it to be put in?
On a related note, who's writing the current Fantastic 4 comic until that's getting cancelled?

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Classic Marvel, they're always been petty and cruel and plagued mankind with suffering!

But it's still funny.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Mangod said:
You think this is stupid, compare it to what Fox are apparently doing to the movie. Just... just read this, and get a crowbar to pry your hand from your face.

http://thegoodthebadtheinsulting.blogspot.se/2014/11/2015s-fantastic-four-film-doctor-doom.html

I'll admit that what Marvel did in that comic feels a little tasteless, but on the other hand, given how the source material is being treated by Fox, I think I'll just call this one even.
So they turn Doctor Doom into a blogger and its the worst thing in the world.

Yet Iron Man 3 turned the Mandarin into a white businessman and everythins peachykeen.

Why don't we actually wait and see what happens before people get all shitty about this.
Funny thing is in another Marvel short, Hail to the King to be exact, the Mandarin we know is real and pissed at Trevor for how he portrayed him.

On to the topic at hand, I don't really have any feelings for this. Granted I also have darker sense of humor then many and I just see it as Marvel poking fun. However, it still leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth and I refuse to see the new FF movie unless by some miracle it's good.