Marvel Launching New Miles Morales Spider-Man Comic This Fall

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel Launching New Miles Morales Spider-Man Comic This Fall

Marvel will be launching Spider-Man, a new comic focusing on Miles Morales, in Fall 2015.

Marvel is currently in the middle of its big universe-melding Secret Wars event. That in mind and with both the 616 and Ultimate realities coming to an end, the big question for many comic fans has been what will happen to their favorite Marvel heroes. The famous comic publisher, in turn, has provided more details about the fate of the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11452-Miles-Morales-Ultimate-Spider-Man-1-A-Potential-Misstep>Ultimate Universe's Spider-Man, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12971-Why-the-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-Doesn-t-Need-Peter-Parker>Miles Morales.

Marvel, in an announcement today, confirmed that not only will Mr. Morales join the new post-Secret Wars <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140249-Miles-Morales-Revealed-as-Member-of-All-New-All-Different-Avengers>"All-New, All-Different" universe, he'll also be headlining a new series simply dubbed Spider-Man. The book will be handled by the character's co-creators Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli. Speaking about the new series, Bendis expressed deep enthusiasm for Miles' future in the new Marvel universe.

"There was a time last year where I had given notice on this book. I thought that with the character moving into the Marvel Universe maybe that should be a time for me to bow out," said Bendis. "What I didn't know was that the plans for Miles were substantial: that he would be an Avenger or that he would be set up in a way because of things going on in different books to be the more traditional Spider-Man character...Once those elements revealed themselves, I politely asked to not leave the book. Story ideas flooded over me." Pichelli expressed similar excitement about the prospect of illustrating him again. "It feels so natural to be working again next to Brian on this. Like I did the first time, I'll work my ass off to draw the amazing story that Brian is writing for our Miles."

Miles Morales took over as the Ultimate Universe's Spider-Man back in 2011 following the death of Peter Parker at the hands of the Green Goblin. While some initially took issue with his introduction and Peter's replacement, the character quickly won over readers with his personal feeling, grounded stories. The new Spider-Man comic series will launch later this year in the fall.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/comics/24751/miles_morales_moves_to_the_marvel_universe_in_spider-man>Marvel

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
I love Miles, but I am sick of Bendis and Peter Parker is, was and always will be my Spider-man (after Ben Reilly, of course) so this is my jump-off point.

I hope the character is embraced though because he was the only thing that made the Ultimate Universe worth acknowledging after the Loeb bastardised that universe.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
So he's just replacing Peter completely now? Didn't we already have Doc Ock do that a couple years back?

I mean I still don't understand why they're even having this event. Couldn't we still have 2 separate universes? They must be running out of the proper talent to properly handle both of them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
ShakerSilver said:
So he's just replacing Peter completely now? Didn't we already have Doc Ock do that a couple years back?

I mean I still don't understand why they're even having this event. Couldn't we still have 2 separate universes? They must be running out of the proper talent to properly handle both of them.

The answer is that they want to change the comics universe to be closer to the cinematic universe in order to hopefully ease the transition of movie-fans into comic readers.

Also to answer the question the news behind the news is that Stan Lee rather clearly said Miles Morales wouldn't be Spider Man back during the April Fool's event (by saying he would be) something he apparently clarified at a con. This lead to a liberal jihad and letter writing campaign. According to what I've been able to piece together from chatter, and sources like "The Verge", the bottom line is that Peter Parker is still around. According to their leak of character art for the "All new, all different" universe there are simply going to be a metric butt ton of "Spider people" running around all with the same basic powers.

The big thing with Miles is that they are titling his book "Spider Man" instead of "Miles Morales: Spider Man" or something similar. Peter Parker, Spider-Gwen, and Spider Woman (Jessica), are all supposed to survive into the new continuity and there was apparently character art showing all of them post-secret war revealed. It's a giant compromise thing apparently, leading to some jokes that soon we're going to have a Spider-Man in the main continuity of every ethnicity and sexual orientation, and they will indeed need a full time island. :)

Like anything of course this could change, but that's the last news I've heard, Peter is still there.

The big question some fans might be about to get pissed about is what's up with "The Scarlet Spider" since allegedly Marvel promised early on that he was going to make it into the new continuity even if he's a comparatively cult character.

Like a lot of people I've already made it as clear as possible if they get rid of Peter I won't be paying for Spider-Man titles anymore. Nor am I going to play the "Green Lantern" game where they got rid of Hal Jordan and replaced him with Kyle Raynor (ick) and they teased Hal might be coming back for years and years every time they wanted some PR. Peter is *my* Spider-Man and has been since I was a kid, and apparently I'm likely to not be alone in my sentiments. But we'll see what happens. There are plenty of titles I will likely support even if I drop that one.

Of course then again I have a suspicion that the post-Secret Wars Marvel is going to suck even though I plan to give it a shot. It's become a mess of business deals and political correctness stunts, with what the fans actually want and what makes good comics being at most a tertiary concern. They are chasing phantom dollars they hope will manifest and continue to rain down while pretty much stabbing their loyal fans in the back. Because of the movie property rights for example they plan to seriously start downplaying the X-men, and of course replacing them with "Inhumans" which are of course like mutants for all intents and purposes but aren't actually Mutants so they won't risk the movie rights to those characters going to someone else. So basically that's the end of a lot of characters and storylines, or at least their prominence, that I've liked for decades, never mind the fact that the X-titles arguably saved Marvel the first time. Then, while they aren't my favorites by far, they are also throwing The Fantastic Four and it's associated characters to the wind as well, which to me is heresy, and of course it likely means my all time favorite super villain: Doctor Doom, probably isn't going to be doing much anymore. I mean come on, Thanos is cool and all, but Doom is well... Doom... and what's horrible about this last bit in particular is the guys doing the movies haven't even made a fair attempt at doing a proper Doctor Doom.

So yeah, no Peter Parker, no snappy dialogue between The Thing and The Human Torch, no Doctor Doom to show all the other villains how it's done, no X-men, most of the Avengers are being redone at least temporarily, I mean we've got Iron Man still I suppose but I always thought he was far cooler in the comics than in the movies, and if they are going to change things like I hear to better resemble the movies he isn't even going to have a proper Arch-enemy anymore, I mean The Mandarin in the comics is a force to be feared, in the movies he was a total joke. I mean granted he's never been Doctor Doom (who is) but he's always been an epic and stylish villain.

Ahhh, well, calling it now, sometime within the next few years Namor will have to stop screaming "Imperius Rex" because it invokes politically incorrect images of conquest by the wrong people, and arrogant militarism.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I think this could be fine. Peter Parker can finally be allowed to move on, have a family, be a big deal scientist, and show up regularly as Miles' mentor and operations controller. While Miles can have the school-age drama and trying to balance the responsibilities in his life that editors, writers, and a bunch of the audience seem to think is key to the Spider-Man mythos.

Or maybe they'll just put Peter Parker on a bus. For the what, 3rd time? Clone saga, Doc Ock whatever, Ultimate universe kinda sorta but not really cuz Marvel hasn't got a clue killing him.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Supahewok said:
I think this could be fine. Peter Parker can finally be allowed to move on, have a family, be a big deal scientist, and show up regularly as Miles' mentor and operations controller. While Miles can have the school-age drama and trying to balance the responsibilities in his life that editors, writers, and a bunch of the audience seem to think is key to the Spider-Man mythos.
I agree. This might finally allow Peter to break out of the "Status Quo is God" thing that Marvel has had him trapped in ever since they decided being married was somehow a character flaw.

And Miles is just generally great, so I'm all for this. Though the new universe is looking like it might be a tad crowded. I mean, Spider-Gwen sharing the new universe with 616-Pete? So... does 616-Spidey remember letting Gwen die, or not...? This sort of thing is why you had a multiverse, Marvel!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Please.Keep.Ms.Marvel.Going.

No, seriously, this needs to keep going.

Along with Spider Gwen.

Jan 18, 2012
Supahewok said:

Or maybe they'll just put Peter Parker on a bus. For the what, 3rd time? Clone saga, Doc Ock whatever, Ultimate universe kinda sorta but not really cuz Marvel hasn't got a clue killing him.
This is the best case scenario for Peter. After all the crap he's gone through in his 50+ years, he deserves to have Renew Your Vows stay canon and FINALLY get his happily ever after. Hell, he deserved a happily ever after just for getting through The Clone Saga.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
A new Spiderman? Written by Bendis? The man who does exposition Solid Snake style? Whose every line of dialogue is pure, concentrated snark?

I'm so glad that I don't read any of the stuff he writes...

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
I wanted to see a transition here, but was always hoping we would get a properly adult Peter as Spiderman. Forget all the school/college/teen dating bullshit and focus on grown up Peter with his grown-up science job. To my mind all the angsty youth stuff only pays off when someone comes out the other side of it and we have had whiny Spiderman for too long now.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
ShakerSilver said:
So he's just replacing Peter completely now?
Sounds like.

ShakerSilver said:
Didn't we already have Doc Ock do that a couple years back?
Eh, sorta. There was some blurring of the characters that leaves a person room to argue in good faith that is wasn't a replacement.

ShakerSilver said:
I mean I still don't understand why they're even having this event.
At a guess, I'd say it's because of the cinematic universe. The Ultimate universe was launched to be a modern update of Marvel property with less historical baggage and a modern feel to the tone, and it did pretty well on those terms. Then the cinematic universe came along and did the same thing but much, much more profitably, and the suddenly the comic equivalent of the same goal wasn't at all representative of the less-baggage-more-modern-money-making cinematic universe, which was confusing to new readers ("Wait, so, the Avengers aren't called the Avengers, they're called the Ultimates? And the only person from the movie who's in it is the Black Widow, except she's not the Black Widow, she's a genderswapped genetic clone of Peter Parker? And the other members are Explosion Girl, Knife Girl, Cloak Dude, and that Spider-Man everyone is so pissed off at for being black? Yeah, I don't know what's going on here, so pass.")

ShakerSilver said:
Couldn't we still have two separate universes?
I never bothered to check the figures myself because Mile Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man was the only book in the universe I followed, but from what I've been told by the guy at the comic shop, the Ultimate universe has had pretty shitty sales for kind of a while. Plus, a bit, universe-restructuring event like this will pull in new readers and give Marvel an excuse to retcon X-Men and Fantastic Four into minimal or even non-existent roles to try to starve Fox out of their movie rights.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
JimB said:
[
I never bothered to check the figures myself because Mile Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man was the only book in the universe I followed, but from what I've been told by the guy at the comic shop, the Ultimate universe has had pretty shitty sales for kind of a while. Plus, a bit, universe-restructuring event like this will pull in new readers and give Marvel an excuse to retcon X-Men and Fantastic Four into minimal or even non-existent roles to try to starve Fox out of their movie rights.
He is correct, and also Miles was largely "successful" due to comic speculators buying the series because it was seen as a stunt and a lot of people wanted the entire run of "Bi-racial Spider Man" in hopes it would be worth something some day. As a general rule while some people (including you) liked it, and it was praised by the liberal media, actual comic fans and especially Spider-Man fans hate Miles with a passion. To put it into perspective not even Gazillion, who runs the Marvel Super Heroes MMO, wanted to push for a "Miles" enhanced skin because they knew they would never sell it, though I suppose now they might since he's being brought into the main universe and they will probably require it for completeness.

I mistyped above when I contradicted myself (Peter Parker is indeed in the new universe), but otherwise what I reported seems pretty accurate so far, and I did some double checking. Marvel did backpedal when they were going to get rid of Miles, and Stan Lee's joke (which was funny because so many people disliked the character) is a matter of record going back to April 1st, but apparently Marvel backpedaled.

That said, love him or hate him, the big question is going to be whether the money is there, all I can say is that Peter Parker is going to always be Spider-Man to me, and that's who I will back with my money. While I still wound up reading plenty of them (from others) I also didn't follow Green Lantern very much for a very long time specifically because Hal Jordan is to me, *The* Green Lantern, Kyle Raynor wasn't even worthy to polish the ring IMO, though Kyle did manage to hold down a book for a long time.

Apparently the X-men are going to continue but in a reduced capacity, as they are simply too popular in publication, I did some checking on that. The artwork leaks imply that "Old Man Logan" will be taking over as the new universe's de-facto Wolverine. X-23 was also depicted wearing Logan's old "classic" X-men togs in the yellow. The Fantastic Four are splitting up, The Thing was depicted as being with "The Guardians Of The Galaxy" the fate of the other three members has yet to be confirmed. Spectrum (Monica Rambeau's current identity) will apparently be operating under the name "Doctor Spectrum" and it's unknown if it will be the "real" 616 universe version of Monica or not as adding "Doctor" to the title raises questions.

Kamala Khan (new Ms. Marvel) is supposed to be surviving, but will quite possibly be dropping the Ms. Marvel name early on. There is some speculation right now that Carol will be going back to being "Ms. Marvel" and The Secret Wars will be used to revive the actual "Captain Mar Vell" to take that title, by way of tying the universe more tightly to the Kree given the role they are going to be playing in the cinematic universe. This is however the least confirmed aspect of things. One reported "leak" is that the 616 Kamala Khan will die in some massive throw down at the end of "Secret Wars" as one of the many casualties, and the new version is going to be an even younger version linked to an upcoming "Avengers Academy" reboot and act as a direct sidekick for Ms. Marvel in addition to that since she was always depicted as a fan girl. Rumor also has it that the new version will be from India and practice hinduism, not an Arabic Muslim, but I personally doubt that given the intent of what the character was intended to diversify.

At the end of the day trying to predict comics can be difficult, since there are so many lies, rumors, and speculations, we'll have to see how many points I wind up being correct on, but I feel reasonably confident of most of my statements given that the artwork was presented to the mainstream press as opposed to being fan art. Some points are touchy such as "Doctor Spectrum" since while it being some version of Monica is likely, it doesn't specify, and the costume covers the face so other than the female shape you really can't tell who it is.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Therumancer said:
Miles was largely "successful" due to comic speculators buying the series because it was seen as a stunt and a lot of people wanted the entire run of "biracial Spider-Man" in hopes it would be worth something some day. As a general rule while some people (including you) liked it, and it was praised by the liberal media, actual comic fans and especially Spider-Man fans hate Miles with a passion.
Pretty sure you and I have had this conversation before about how you know what "actual" fans think, so I won't get into it except to say I am very, very weary of being told or gently implied that my tastes make me not an "actual" fan despite having been in the goddamned hobby since like 1994, when I saw some kids out on the track field passing around a copy of Wizard Magazine to stare at a contest to win an Adam Hughes-drawn Vampirella (I never said I got into the hobby for noble reasons). I'm sure you probably don't mean it as another tired No True Scotsman, but still.

Therumancer said:
I also didn't follow Green Lantern very much for a very long time specifically because Hal Jordan is, to me, the Green Lantern. Kyle Rayner wasn't even worthy to polish the ring in my opinion, though Kyle did manage to hold down a book for a long time.
Eleven years. I own every issue he was in, through the end of Ron Marz's run. I liked the everyman angle and his journey to improve as a superhero, and thought it was very bad form to bring back Hal Jordan after, what was it, fifteen years?

I think you and I come from very different places on the subject of comic books.

Therumancer said:
The Fantastic Four are splitting up; the Thing was depicted as being with the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the fate of the other three members has yet to be confirmed.
I've been hearing Johnny Storm is going to be attached to the Inhumans, and possibly that he will be Inhuman in nature. Dunno if that's true. Don't care enough about Johnny Storm to check.