Marvel Launching New Ongoing Star Wars: Poe Dameron Comic

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel Launching New Ongoing Star Wars: Poe Dameron Comic

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1256/1256142.jpg
Star Wars: Poe Dameron will release this April and follow the X-Wing pilot's adventures leading up to The Force Awakens.

Up until now, Marvel's catalog of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars comics has limited itself to staying largely within the realm of the Empire era from the original film trilogy. Its forays into other time periods have either been limited to mini-series (Obi-Wan & Anakin) or flashback sequences from Empire-era characters (Star Wars: Kanaan). That being the case, the comic publisher has recently announced plans to take a firm step forward into franchise's future with a new ongoing series focused on the adventures of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/15178-Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Review>The Force Awakens' most charismatic X-Wing pilot Poe Dameron.

Releasing this April, Star Wars: Poe Dameron will follow Poe's life leading up to the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Penned by writer Charles Soule, it's Marvel's hope that the book will serve as a gateway through which franchise fans will be able to learn about Poe, the Resistance and, of course, the series' new chief baddies, The First Order. Speaking about the new comic, Soule shared his intention to show readers the effect that the legends of the Rebel Alliance have had on characters like Poe. "It's silly not to explore the idea of a guy who grew up steeped in the Rebellion and the older Republic and all of those myths and legends," said Soule. "If you think about it, he grew up the way we did, hearing all of those stories." While Soule wouldn't share much else about Poe Dameron he did confirm that the book will feature a new villain who serve as Poe's chief rival in the comic. "The bad guy we're working with is going to feel fresh and cool," he said.

While time will have to tell if Poe Dameron winds up being worth our while, I personally have a good feeling about this one. Charles Soule has written a lot of great comics in recent years and in 2015 he proved himself a good fit for Star Wars while helming Marvel's five-issue Lando mini-series. I have little doubt he'll be able to deliver similar quality with Star Wars: Poe Dameron. Add in the fact that Phil Noto (Star Wars: Chewbacca) will be handling the art and you've got all the ingredients for an excellent ongoing book. If nothing else, it will also just be nice to learn a bit more the new era and the First Order. I loved The Force Awakens through-and-through but I can still admit that it was a bit scant on the details front.

Source: USA Today

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I use to be an avid Star Wars comic book reader, then I took a Disney Continuity to the knee.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
So is Wedge just a nobody in the new Disney canon? It seems that Poe is completely replacing his role in the new continuity.

Nice to see the A-wing still exists in Star Wars. I was rather disappointed that Ep 7 excluded so many of the OT fighters such as the TIE Interceptor, Y-Wing, B-Wing & A-Wing (to say nothing of the EU ships like the TIE Defender or E-Wing). The Z-95s with S-Foils and palette-swapped TIE fighters didn't seem as imaginative or diverse to me.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Oroboros said:
So is Wedge just a nobody in the new Disney canon? It seems that Poe is completely replacing his role in the new continuity.

Nice to see the A-wing still exists in Star Wars. I was rather disappointed that Ep 7 excluded so many of the OT fighters such as the TIE Interceptor, Y-Wing, B-Wing & A-Wing (to say nothing of the EU ships like the TIE Defender or E-Wing). The Z-95s with S-Foils and palette-swapped TIE fighters didn't seem as imaginative or diverse to me.
I?m going off of hearsay, but the lack of Wedge is because the actor said no to returning to the SW franchise, but I may be wrong.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Oroboros said:

No kidding, where the hell is Wedge? And the rest of Rogue Squadron for that matter. And yeah, the ship variety disappointed me too. And the numbers. The First Order is some how a threat with a single Star Destroyer, and a planet gun. The Empire at its high had 25000 Star Destroyers or so in the old EU. I just have a hard time taking the stakes seriously in the new movie.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Oroboros said:
So is Wedge just a nobody in the new Disney canon?
Denis Lawson wasn't interested in reprising the role.

Which is a huge shame, because Wedge Antilles flying into combat with Poe Dameron as his wingman could have been one of those moments that convinces me to see the next Star Wars. Better still if Wedge goes in aboard an old style X wing.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
InsanityRequiem said:
Oroboros said:

I?m going off of hearsay, but the lack of Wedge is because the actor said no to returning to the SW franchise, but I may be wrong.
Yeah, I have heard about that, though the Poe character (who was likely Wedge originally) was originally a lot less important to the story, so It's understandable that he didn't want to return for what was going to be little more than a cameo followed by death.

But it doesn't really explain why Wedge seems to have evaporated from all the the non-movie content.(as far as I can tell)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Wow! An ongoing story with the character who was in that one disappointing movie for less than five minutes!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
InsanityRequiem said:
Oroboros said:
The mouse does not forgive slights against his generosity. He is a vengeful owner. He will not be satisfied until he has erased every mention of this "wedge antilles" from the extended universe. There is no wedge antilles. There is only Poe Dameron. We have always been at war with East Asia.

Personally, I want a prequel film about another great pilot.

Omeene

Oct 14, 2009
Daemascus said:
Oroboros said:
No kidding, where the hell is Wedge? And the rest of Rogue Squadron for that matter. And yeah, the ship variety disappointed me too. And the numbers. The First Order is some how a threat with a single Star Destroyer, and a planet gun. The Empire at its high had 25000 Star Destroyers or so in the old EU. I just have a hard time taking the stakes seriously in the new movie.
So, my opinion on this: The First Order is basically the leftover Empire (And we don't know how "much" of the Imperial leftovers joined the First Order), away from the New Republic. They mention that they had a truce. The Resistance is basically just a New Republic-funded proxy group that is resisting the First Order in that area of space.

The First Order isn't a "threat" to the rest of the galaxy, at least during this movie. The New Republic, I think, is more interested in containing them. Which cost them their government and their main fleet in the FO's surprise attack. I'm assuming that the NR will eventually regroup and move in.

I'm supposing that the trilogy will feature the First Order becoming more of a threat.

#TL;DR: The first movie is a proxy war, ala Cold War. It will most likely get far larger.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Daemascus said:
The First Order is some how a threat with a single Star Destroyer, and a planet gun. The Empire at its high had 25000 Star Destroyers or so in the old EU. I just have a hard time taking the stakes seriously in the new movie.

Omeene said:
Daemascus said:
Oroboros said:
So, my opinion on this: The First Order is basically the leftover Empire (And we don't know how "much" of the Imperial leftovers joined the First Order), away from the New Republic. They mention that they had a truce. The Resistance is basically just a New Republic-funded proxy group that is resisting the First Order in that area of space.

The First Order isn't a "threat" to the rest of the galaxy, at least during this movie. The New Republic, I think, is more interested in containing them. Which cost them their government and their main fleet in the FO's surprise attack. I'm assuming that the NR will eventually regroup and move in.

I'm supposing that the trilogy will feature the First Order becoming more of a threat.

The first movie is a proxy war, ala Cold War. It will most likely get far larger.
Yeah they did a /really/ poor job of explaining the scale of things in TFA. How big is the New republic? How big is the First Empire, are they just that one ship, plus whereever Supreme Leader Snoke is stationed or are there more of them? How did they build the planet gun? Why is the resistance considered a separate group to the Republic? The Republic is the result of the resistance winning in the original trilogy. Why do they need to secretly fund them? They're not trying to avoid war with another country or planet, they're trying to lay to rest the last dribs and drabs of the The Empire that they spent the last 45 years or so fighting.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I don't care much about this book, just because I'm content to limit my Star Wars experiences to the movies--I remember the fuckpocalypse that was the Extended Universe; I don't need to watch good ideas get diluted and bad ideas get greenlit by indifferent editorial oversight a second time, so my apologies to the artists who did, are doing, and will do good work, but no thank you--but there certainly seems to be a loyal fanbase for the character online.

Here's hoping the title makes him gay. I heard rumors fans demanded it so much Disney took it under advisement.