Marvel May End the Ultimate Universe in 2015

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel May End the Ultimate Universe in 2015

Marvel has announced Ultimate Universe: The End, a new event that will hit store shelves in summer 2015.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel>Marvel's Ultimate universe has never been quite the success the famous publisher hoped it would be. While it produced several series that would win fans over, many were left less than enthused by its interpretation of the company's classic characters and events. In turn, the years since its inception have played host to numerous story arcs, deaths and universe shake-ups aimed at revitalizing it and keeping audiences interested. Some of these worked better than others.

That being the case, a new teaser image released by Marvel may indicate that another event (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138128-Marvel-Announces-House-of-M-1-Coming-Summer-2015?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news>as if <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138018-Marvels-Civil-War-Comic-Series-Coming-2015>there <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138042-Marvel-Announces-Age-of-Ultron-vs-Marvel-Zombies-Comic-Series-for-Summer-2015>weren't enough <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138100-Marvel-Announces-New-Armor-Wars-Event-for-Summer-2015>that year already) is on the way for summer 2015 and, if its title is any indicator, this could be the last one. The image apparently comes from a new book entitled Ultimate Universe: The End. The cover itself doesn't reveal very much; containing little more than a group shot of the universe's current cast looking shock and scared at something we're assuming to be horrible.

We can, of course, only speculate as to what said horror might be, but the event's title would seem to indicate that it's something big and potentially world killing. Couple this with the fact that there are only a small handful (if you can even call it that) of Ultimate universe books still left running and there's a good case to be for this event being the straw that finally breaks the franchise's back.

Just speaking personally, if this winds up being the case I'll be more than a little sad. Despite the numerous ups and downs the Ultimate line has experience, it still served as an easy jumping off point for many readers (myself included) to get into comic books. For all its problems there are still <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11452-Miles-Morales-Ultimate-Spider-Man-1-A-Potential-Misstep>a lot of characters I enjoy and will miss. Then again, if they can bring it to a decent, positive close, I could see myself being happy with that as well.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
There have been "The End" books before. They've even done one "The End" miniseries for the entire Marvel Universe. That being said, maybe this one might be different. I wouldn't count on it, but this one has a higher chance than normal.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Red the top
White the botton
It is a Voltorb ready to explode isn't it?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Well with only 2 books still running in the ultimate universe and 1 of those ending next year anyway ending it all isn't that surprising.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Can I get my hopes up? Ultimate Marvel is long past its heyday having been reduced to a shell of its former self. I did say I way there at the start I'll go to the end, but I thought Cataclysm would do it and it kept going.

Just salvage a few popular ones (from the few still alive) and use that incursion story to vape the rest.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Mr. Omega said:
There have been "The End" books before. They've even done one "The End" miniseries for the entire Marvel Universe. That being said, maybe this one might be different. I wouldn't count on it, but this one has a higher chance than normal.
The non-canon Thanos mini series "The End" was trippy as fuck, but actually kind of cool.

OP: I was never a big fan of the Ultimate U. It did some cool stuff here and there, but ultimately it just felt like it was trying waaaay to hard to be edgy/gritty. Anyone remember Ultimatum? That story was hilariously bad.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Fappy said:
Mr. Omega said:
The non-canon Thanos mini series "The End" was trippy as fuck, but actually kind of cool.
was that ever stated? I mean the universe essentially reset so it could have very well happened

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
Well with only 2 books still running in the ultimate universe and 1 of those ending next year anyway ending it all isn't that surprising.
Actually there are 3 comics currently being make: Spider-Man, FF and All-New Ultimates.

OT: I'm skeptical about this being the end, and not just because this is coming from a company which had a comic called "Marvel: The End" was already an event over a decade ago [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel:_The_End]. Sounds more like another publicity stunt in the same vein as Cataclysm then the closing chapter in the comic line.
Mcoffey said:
Good! Every story worth a damn needs an ending. The worst part about comics is that they go on forever.
At least Ultimates doesn't have the problem of time being frozen on top of the story not ending. For better and worst time goes by, people age and develop (unless the writer forgets) and when a person dies it tends to stick.

Now if only they where better at handling the stories in general...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
V4Viewtiful said:
Fappy said:
Mr. Omega said:
was that ever stated? I mean the universe essentially reset so it could have very well happened
I think it was initially planned to be canon but they retconned it shortly after it happened. Not 100% sure of that, but I remember reading about it on CBR several years ago.

Not that it really matters anyway since I don't even think Thanos remembered what happened after the universe reset.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Zontar said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Actually there are 3 comics currently being make: Spider-Man, FF and All-New Ultimates.

FF ended in August with issue 6.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
Zontar said:
P-89 Scorpion said:

FF ended in August with issue 6.
That's odd, I could have sworn it was still ongoing.

Live and learn I guess, haven't really been keeping up with this comic line lately.

Dec 16, 2009
I'm not sad. Miles is just a black peter . Wish they'd done a superior spiderman on it.
The FF is written horribly, with even Avengers movie quotes.
Lets hope end means end. Or perhaps I complete reboot. Every 10 years use Ultimate titles to give modern or new takes on established characters

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have trouble caring about this. The idea of the Ultimate universe was to have one without a backlog of continuity. Now it's nearly as messy as the mainstream continuity.

Paulhorne Schillings said:
They should've named the end to this "Ultimately..." for obvious reasons.
That would have been awesome.

Mcoffey said:
That said, if they wanted to dimension hop Miles Morales into the 616 continuity, I wouldn't be mad.
The good news is, there's probably a Miles Morales in 616. I'd be surprised if they didn't already do some sort of continuity nod.

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
I have very fond memories of the ultimate universe since I started reading comics with them and followed it religiously till they destroyed it with that abomination called ultimatum. Oh well, goodbye universe with consequences, character growth, permanent death and decisions that actually matter. It was a good ride but in the end they didn't knew what to do with you, rest in peace. We will have to conform ourselves with the Saturday morning cartoon silliness and world without any meaningful change of "regular" marvel.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Again?

Sorry but I wrote my personal eulogy for the Ultimates Universe back with Cataclysm. They should have ended it there instead of "Hey, we got all these readers from our announcement. Let's keep going."

Now, it's more a case of "Haven't they taken Old Yeller behind the barn yet?"

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
StewShearer said:
The cover itself doesn't reveal very much; containing little more than a group shot of the universe's current cast looking shock and scared at something we're assuming to be horrible.

We can, of course, only speculate as to what said horror might be, but the event's title would seem to indicate that it's something big and potentially world killing.
Big and world killing you say...
Jeph Loeb?