Marvel "Moving Forward" on The Inhumans Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel "Moving Forward" on The Inhumans Movie

Marvel superhero team The Inhumans could be coming to the big screen

Marvel Studios scored a major hit with long rumored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks] project based around The Inhumans.

Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and debuting in a 1965 Fantastic Four storyline, The Eternals. [http://marvel.wikia.com/Inhumans_(Race)]

Though they frequently interact with other, more prominent heroes of the Marvel Universe, The Inhumans have also appeared in various series and miniseries of their own; typically based around political and factional struggles within their community and royal heirarchy. The best known members of The Inhumans (and likely major figure of any feature-film adaptation) are their king, Lockjaw, [http://marvel.wikia.com/Blackagar_Boltagon_(Earth-616)] a gigantic bulldog with the power to teleport himself and others anywhere in an instant.

No release date or timetable is known about the project, which has not been officially confirmed by Marvel. Joe Robert Cole is reported to be writing the initial screenplay. Over the weekend, actor Vin Diesel made a cryptic Facebook post [https://www.facebook.com/VinDiesel/photos/a.101465923312.101581.89562268312/10152718210358313/?type=1] that led many to believe he was being considered for a role in the film.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/the-inhumans-movie-joe-robert-cole-script/]

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Vin Diesel as Black Bolt.
Going from only loaning his voice, to only loaning his body.
Also avoids the problem of if they meet and sound similar.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
I find this news to be oddly non exciting.

Its another bullshit way of avoiding a way to make another female Superhero movie. The characters don't seem that interesting; LockJaw seems like Marvels lazy attempt to bring another Rocket Raccoon character into the mix.

I am so sick of white guy lead super hero movies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Did the Inhumans ever had their own comic since I have no idea what their plot could be like (I only known them for their interaction with the Fantastic Four and they did venture into space at one point once they learn of their true origin). Still they were able to make Guardian of the Galaxy a smash hit cos they should be able to follow suit.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Bob, can we have a Big Picture on Thanos? I tried to look stuff up on him and, well... there is just a lot of "Comics are weird" stuff out there to try and sift through.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This should result in an entirely new kind of movie for the film studio. I need to point this out: They are not a "superhero" team. This is more a movie that would lend itself to the Marvel equivalent of a political thriller with the occasional super battle. Also, doesn't seem likely they will have him as the main character because he does not speak. Though him speaking to end a final battle would be an epic scene. I have always liked how they used him to show how powerful some of his foes have been though. In World War Hulk, Hulk walked through the scream to defeat him and it happened again when he was fighting Thanos in Infinity.

Ickabod said:
Bob, can we have a Big Picture on Thanos? I tried to look stuff up on him and, well... there is just a lot of "Comics are weird" stuff out there to try and sift through.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanos

That is everything you need to know about Thanos. This is a much more detailed history of Thanos than the glossed over version that Bob would have to do because of time constraints. Also, I'm sure it will be coming eventually if for no other reason than he is the main villain in the third Avengers film.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DrunkenElfMage said:
Its another bullshit way of avoiding a way to make another female Superhero movie.
I fail to see how this "avoids" anything, or why there's suddenly an obligation for Marvel to make one. The only obligations they have are to make 2 movies a year for distribution (obligation to Disney corporate) and to turn a profit (obligation to shareholders).

Jesus, people went from being mildly hyped about Agent Carter being the first comic book source adaptation in some time to have a female lead (and probably the first good one) and Jesica Drew getting her own series, to being pissed that there isn't a female lead in a a blockbuster.

OT: As a fan of the Inhumans I'm more then happy to hear this, though the only way to truly reach the highest possible is for Alpha Flight to happen.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
With the main Marvel heroes already having there solo films done I guess it's team up's in future rather than either woman or non white male lead films.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Marvel taking another risk? All for it! Especially if it turns out like Guardians of the Galaxy did.

Every bit of news i hear about Marvel films always fills me with excitement

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
I love the Marvel movies, I really do. And it's not inherently problematic for a movie to be lead by a white, male actor. It just really sucks to see movie after movie come out that does this, and not just by a studio I like. There are so many great stories to tell staring women and people of color, and even a few you could shift around (like the Human Torch in the new Fantastic Four). Given the huge diversity of the audience, why is Marvel not willing to take a chance on Captain/Ms. Marvel, a Black Widow film, Black Panther, or cast Pedro Pascal as Doctor Strange (fingers crossed on that one)? After all, they made Guardians of the Galaxy work.

Another way to look at it is this fantastic quote from [a href="http://koolfmabilene.com/marvel-studios-success-marvel-movies-diversity/"]this site[/a]:
As for a movie with a non-white lead; if Marvel makes Thor 3 before it makes Black Panther, it will have made ten movies headlined by blond white men named Chris before it makes one movie headlined by someone who isn?t even white. (They can cast a black actor named Chris. That?s totally OK.)
[a href="http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/dc/04/ef/dc04ef064d49e56f8b2714acb57c7681.jpg"]Representation matters[/a].

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Black Panther would be interesting but I'm trying to figure out what role he'd have and what villain... I've never really read too many BP books and can't remember for the life of me a villain he had. Inhumans is a cool one though, and it continues in the Marvel Cosmic vein.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I'd say that it's a safe bet that the Inhumans are coming at some point given the introduction of the Kree, the lack of 'mutants' in the MCU, and the direction that AoS was taking. It just fits so well with what they've built so far.

Mcoffey said:
It sounds very likely that there will be a Ms./Captain Marvel movie before there will be an Inhumans movie. Apparently:

Carol Danvers makes an appearance in Age of Ultron
Is there a source for that? I'd very much like it to be true.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
arc1991 said:
Marvel taking another risk? All for it! Especially if it turns out like Guardians of the Galaxy did.

Every bit of news i hear about Marvel films always fills me with excitement
I'm pretty sure after Guardians of the Galaxy made like $90 million on opening weekend "Marvel Cosmic Superhero Teamup Movie" stopped being anything resembling a risk.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I said this in another thread, but I believe having the Inhumans could bring the possibility of the Terrigen Mist incident, meaning normal people get powers. Whether or not Ms. Marvel is involved either through this or the Kree, we still have any number of heroes who can be retconned to become heroes because of a mutation, even creating a loophole that could allow for an X-Man or two:

Wonder Man / Tigra / She-Hulk / Red Hulk / Ultimate Spiderman / Spiderwoman / Firestar / Young Avengers

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So since they don't have the rights to the X-men they will instead use the proto X-men?

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Wow this is a surprise. I've never really considered the inhumans as a team like the Avengers/F4/X-men, more a alien race where a select few of them keeps popping up every once and a while. I can't even imagine who would they even fight. Still I can imagine Lockjaw toys/dolls flying off the shelves, always loved that thing. :)