Marvel Teases Return of Spider-Man's Marriage

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel Teases Return of Spider-Man's Marriage

Marvel hints Peter Parker's return to marriage - and fatherhood

Marvel Comics has been giving fans a lot to think about lately, with cryptic images teasing Entertainment Weekly [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138018-Marvel-Announces-New-Civil-War-Series]) could be the biggest one of all Spider-Man fans.

The image (seen at right) appears to show Peter Parker, Mary-Jane Watson and an unnamed red-haired child being carried on Peter's shoulders posing in front of the "spider-heart" backdrop associated with the famous Spider-Man/Mary-Jane Wedding Event [http://marvel.wikia.com/Amazing_Spider-Man_Annual_Vol_1_21] from 1987, with the caption "Renew Your Vows" and a Summer 2015 date. The clear - though not explicitly-stated - implication is that the dissolution of Spider-Man's marriage could be en route to being undone.

In the 2006 storyline Civil War [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2501-The-Devil-Mr-Parker] crossover. Though the characters had technically been separated off-and-on for years, the story is easily one of the most-hated developments in Marvel history among fans.

Of note, though: The presence of the unnamed young girl potentially teases the undoing of an even earlier controversial story point: During the much-maligned "Clone Saga," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2818-Groan-Saga] Mary-Jane was pregnant with Peter's child. The story's conclusion implied that her pregnancy ended in miscarriage, but left open the possibility that the baby had actually been stolen by The Green Goblin (no, really). Marvel's alternate-universe series Spider-Girl imagines a scenario where the baby, a girl named May "Mayday" Parker, is reunited with her parents and takes up her father's superhero mantle as a teenager.

Is the girl in the image meant to be a mainstream Marvel Universe [http://marvel.wikia.com/Earth-616] incarnation of Mayday? Marvel isn't yet saying, but presumably fans will find out next year.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/30/spider-man-fans-marvels-next-summer-2015-teaser-is-for-you/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm confused. I know the status quo is God, but I no longer know what the status quo is. It';s like Petere's trapped in a never ending series of retcons to restore him between two points which are both equally "right" and not.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
This sounds so dumb that it rises to the level of "it was only a dream" on Dallas when Bobby Ewing came back. (look it up, youngsters) Do comicbook fans actually like this kind of thing?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
HBaskerville said:
This sounds so dumb that it rises to the level of "it was only a dream" on Dallas when Bobby Ewing came back. (look it up, youngsters) Do comicbook fans actually like this kind of thing?
Well Spider-Man has always been framed around the life of a superhero dealing with everyday issues. As the angsty teenage Spider-Man used to resonate with them before for being similarly aged, I could easily see those now adult fans enjoying seeing the character in situations that now more closely mirror their own life.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm confused. I know the status quo is God, but I no longer know what the status quo is. It';s like Petere's trapped in a never ending series of retcons to restore him between two points which are both equally "right" and not.
It's because Peter Parker was originally conceived as a teenage nerd with lots of real-life (as in, non-superhero related) problems, mostly relationship-based. However, the fanbase of this original portrayal grew up, so the character was slowly evolved to grow up along with them... but then the people in charge of this development got replaced by the next generation, who themselves grew up on the "old" Spidey, and they decided to get rid of all the continuity and plotlines they didn't like and take him back to his "golden age" by practically rebooting him. Then a new generation grew up following this Spidey, and when they got into the industry, they wanted to return him to his roots again in chase of said mystical "golden age of Spiderman" that only existed in their nostalgia-fueled minds. Rinse and repeat.

You can see the exact same cycle in the movie adaptations as well. First we had Spiderman, which had the origin story and was a success. Then we had Spiderman 2, which was an even greater success. Then we had Spiderman 3, which was generally disliked. However, during these three movies, Spiderman "kinda" grew up, piled up a lot of continuity and Tobey Maguire got too old to pass on for a teenager/young adult (not that he could ever pass for one to begin with, but that's another discussion entirely). So instead of carrying on with the storyline, trying to cast a married, adult Peter Parker in a Spiderman 4, Sony decided to start chasing the "golden age" as well by discontinuing the Spiderman movie canon and starting the Amazing Spiderman series by a new retelling of the origin story, reverting Peter to a teenager and once again introducing the relationship-issues and start all over again in chase of a dream.

Hell, this is not even some fan-interpretation. Joe Quesada, the main writer of the mentioned One More Day pretty much literally outlined how they rebooted the character not because of the actually credible reason of his unmasking, but simply because he personally preferred the single, teenager Spiderman of his own childhood! That right there is the reason why they keep rebooting Spidey: the writers refuse to let him grow up because they themselves refuse to tear themselves away from their childhood image of the character. It's actually really sad and infuriating...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GabeZhul said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's because Peter Parker was originally conceived as a teenage nerd with lots of real-life (as in, non-superhero related) problems, mostly relationship-based. However, the fanbase of this original portrayal grew up, so the character was slowly evolved to grow up along with them... but then the people in charge of this development got replaced by the next generation, who themselves grew up on the "old" Spidey, and they decided to get rid of all the continuity and plotlines they didn't like and take him back to his "golden age" by practically rebooting him. Then a new generation grew up following this Spidey, and when they got into the industry, they wanted to return him to his roots again in chase of said mystical "golden age of Spiderman" that only existed in their nostalgia-fueled minds. Rinse and repeat.

You can see the exact same cycle in the movie adaptations as well. First we had Spiderman, which had the origin story and was a success. Then we had Spiderman 2, which was an even greater success. Then we had Spiderman 3, which was generally disliked. However, during these three movies, Spiderman "kinda" grew up, piled up a lot of continuity and Tobey Maguire got too old to pass on for a teenager/young adult (not that he could ever pass for one to begin with, but that's another discussion entirely). So instead of carrying on with the storyline, trying to cast a married, adult Peter Parker in a Spiderman 4, Sony decided to start chasing the "golden age" as well by discontinuing the Spiderman movie canon and starting the Amazing Spiderman series by a new retelling of the origin story, reverting Peter to a teenager and once again introducing the relationship-issues and start all over again in chase of a dream.

Hell, this is not even some fan-interpretation. Joe Quesada, the main writer of the mentioned One More Day pretty much literally outlined how they rebooted the character not because of the actually credible reason of his unmasking, but simply because he personally preferred the single, teenager Spiderman of his own childhood! That right there is the reason why they keep rebooting Spidey: the writers refuse to let him grow up because they themselves refuse to tear themselves away from their childhood image of the character. It's actually really sad and infuriating...
Did you just spend 3 paragraphs explaining the joke?

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
GabeZhul said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Did you just spend 3 paragraphs explaining the joke?
Yes, because I was pretty sure not everyone knew the punchline already. :p
Also, I don't think three paragraphs is that long... or is it?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I'm not really feeling it. I don't know, I'd like them to stick to one idea. It'd be nice for them to stick to Mary Jane and Peter being done. I'm almost more interested in him and Silk getting together, or at least with a superhero, because at least then it's not exactly putting his loved one in anymore danger than she was already in. It makes more sense, and considering they aren't together because he has to go through so much shit as Spider-Man, I think it's just best for normal people to not go out with him. You'd think she'd learn by now, it just isn't worth it to herself, or even to Peter.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Or they go one step further and make whoever the little girl is into a superhero *when she's still a kid.* It still leaves Peter young enough to do his thing but introduces a potential franchise that skews really young and could make for light-hearted fun like how Kamala Khan is in her series.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I... Marvel, are you feeling okay? Because I'm genuinely confused. First you use Spider-Verse to kill off one of the only remaining versions of MJ and Peter that are married (which made me think I was done with you), but then you do this? I... I'm not complaining, but... well... I've been hurt by you before...

Eh, maybe they just want to see if Linkara makes good on his promise to buy EVERY Spiderman comic since OMD if they do this properly...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Status quo is god, and sometimes god feels like kicking Peter Parker in the balls.

Ten or so years ago there was a saying in comics fandom, "no-one stays dead in comics except Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben". It has since had to be revised to "no-one stays dead in comics unless it makes Peter Parker miserable".

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
So after all the pissing around with the clone saga and one more day to make Peter single you go another marriage event?

Marvel you are so retarded.

The only was this will work is if Peter retires and Miles Morales takes over with the ultimate universe ending.

captch = gravy train heh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GabeZhul said:
Yes, because I was pretty sure not everyone knew the punchline already. :p
Oh. Well...Ummm..Fair enough!

I forget not everyone's been reading Spider-Man comics since the eighties and had a back library that dated to PPTSS #1 sometimes.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I am convinced that Marvel no longer has actual writers and instead has a bunch of fan boys who think they can write better stories by rehashing older stories.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
One thing I learn about american comics: death, marriage and divorce doesn't matter.

That's why I switched to manga, american comics are just too convoluted. The quality of the art and stories depends too much on the current writers and artist of that year, and even then it's just rehash of old stories. Just how many times and how many different ways does spiderman have to fight the lizard before it gets old?

The worst is when cross over events happen, to follow the story arc you have to buy books from another series with totally different artist, so the ironman you were reading last issue will suddenly looks like a transformer in another book, no fucking consistency.

They should've kept the superior spiderman story, but like always, comics have no convictions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Status quo is god, and sometimes god feels like kicking Peter Parker in the balls.

Ten or so years ago there was a saying in comics fandom, "no-one stays dead in comics except Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben". It has since had to be revised to "no-one stays dead in comics unless it makes Peter Parker miserable".
I don't remember Jason Todd being included in that.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Mephisto: So, Peter, you want me to return your dear aunt May back? I can, but for a price...
Peter: What...?
Mephisto: It is simple really. Do you love your wife?
Peter: Who? MJ? Well, I guess so. Wait, you want to take MJ to hell in exchange of aunt May?
Mephisto: No, who do you think I am? I just want to cancel your marriage. So think carefully, you will lose the only one who you have ever...
Peter: Kay.
Mephisto: Kay? That's it? You are put in front of dilemma and were supposed to spend hours of torture while deciding. Why so fast?
Peter: Well, at first I was happy, but now I feel she is holding me back and I can't serve community anymore. Besides her baby-rabies are really bugging me- I fear one day she will simply impregnate herself while I sleep, and I don't think that's smart, my genetic material is really messed up after all. Also her constant nagging that I'm not making enough money to...
Mephisto: SILENCE!
Alright, then new terms...
Peter: BULLSHIT!
Mephisto: Excuse me?
Peter: You already stated your conditions and I agreed, now stop stalling and make it happen!
Mephisto: But, but...
Peter: No "buts". Besides you know what the best part is? I can propose her again few years later.
Mephisto: Dammit! I forgot to make sure you can't marry her again.
Peter: You kinda suck at this, don't you?
Mephisto: Stop rubbing it in!
[cancels marriage]
[few years later]
Mephisto: [facepalm] I really DO suck at this.

I'm sorry.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
That's why I switched to manga, american comics are just too convoluted.
Ahahahahahaha!

Sorry. But seriously? If 'lack of convolution' is your primary metric, I can't help feeling Manga isn't necessarily your best alternative :)

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I would love 'for one more day' to be 'one more day'ed, even better if Spider-Girl becomes a reality :D.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
GloatingSwine said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

I don't remember Jason Todd being included in that.
Well not after he came back....

This was about 2001-2002 though.