Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Releases in 2017, Possibly Sans X-men

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Releases in 2017, Possibly Sans X-men

The teaser trailers for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite did not show any X-men characters.

Looks like the rumors were true [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168915-Marvel-vs-Capcom-4-2017-Release]: Marvel vs. Capcom 4 (re-branded as Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinte) will be released in 2017. Sony and Capcom revealed the new title at the PlayStation experience over the weekend, although official details were scant. We do know that it will launch in 2017 for the PS4, PC and (probably) Xbox One.

We also know that it will have Mega Man, Ryu, Iron Man and Captain Marvel, but so far those are the only confirmed characters. X-men were completely absent from the reveal trailer, which is somewhat strange as Magneto is pretty much the de facto mascot of the game. It's possible that due to licencing issues we may not see the X-men in this iteration of the game.

Another big change to the MvC formula is the shift from 3v3 to 2v2 battles. The game will also feature the Infinity Stones from the extended Marvel universe (hence the title) functioning as a sort of out-of-combat way to influence your character's abilities.

It will also feature a "cinematic story" that "answers the questions regarding the new clash and lets players step into the shoes of classic characters from both sides as they wage war against powerful forces in an attempt to defeat a new villain."

Source: Sony [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/03/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-hits-ps4-in-2017-2v2-battles-infinity-stones-more/]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Sounds intriguing. Normally I might say interesting, but I refuse to board the hype train. I wonder if they will make the same mistakes they made with Streetfighter 5.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010

So theres Morrigan and Captain America.

Also the Infinity Stones system isnt really new either, they originally appeared as the comeback mechanic in Marvel Super Heroes.

Also anyone remember when they promised us a 'robust story' for MvC3? I wouldnt hold my breath.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Magneto? Id have said Wolverine for Marvel as the main rep.

Also its a fighting game between Marvel characters and Capcom characters...do you really need to try to explain it with a plot?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Probably no Fantastic Four characters, either. Or do we not speak of them anymore?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So the sequel gets to be "Infinity Plus One"?

...Well, I guess it's not as bad as multiple sequels of a game with "Final" in the title.

Jan 12, 2012
Saelune said:
Also its a fighting game between Marvel characters and Capcom characters...do you really need to try to explain it with a plot?
I like those plots, actually. It's fun to see what writers come up with when they know the end goal is "put everyone in a position to punch everyone else" and they're allowed to reach that goal pretty much however they want. No X-Men might be a deal-breaker for me, though.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Well I am looking forward to this, even if I'm not looking forward to the inevitable backlash over the lack on content on launch.

Just hope that they at least keep Wolverine and Deadpool and I'll be cool with the lack of X-Men and FF characters.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Fingers crossed that strider gets a look in. Ninjas improve everything!

Some of the xmen are replacable. Punisher could fill Cabals roll for example.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I want to point a small thing out. In the spider-verse Crossover the Marvel vs Capcom Spiderman is kill off because they thought they were done making games with Capcom. (This was around the time Disney wanted all their games to be made by EA same thing happen with Star Wars, In fact they were removed the purchase of games like Deadpool and Marvel vs Capcom 3 from places like steam.) So does this mean Spiderman won't be in this one?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
tf2godz said:
I want to point a small thing out. In the spider-verse Crossover the Marvel vs Capcom Spiderman is kill off because they thought they were done making games with Capcom. (This was around the time Disney wanted all their games to be made by EA same thing happen with Star Wars, In fact they were removed the purchase of games like Deadpool and Marvel vs Capcom 3 from places like steam.) So does this mean Spiderman won't be in this one?
because comic characters never come back from the dead. :p