Marvel Won't Move Captain America 3 Release Date for Batman v Superman

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Good. I sort of want to see how this works out head to head.

Darth Sea Bass said:
Sounds like a game of chicken and Batman will blink first!
Batman doesn't blink. That would imply he was a mere mortal.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Week 1: Captain America 3 opens - All the money.
Week 2: Dawn of Justice opens - $90 million.
Week 3: Captain America 3 - All the money.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
The opening weekend matters so much on these movies, and both opening at the same time will hurt sales. As important as the nerd subculture is to comic book movies, it's the average American population that makes the bulk of these domestic sales. And the average American won't go to more than one movie a week. So this will cannibalize the opening weekend, and if it was Avengers versus BvS, I would expect Avengers to pull more sales. But since it's the combined characters of Batman and Superman against Cap, there are just more people that are going to the DC film. Then buzz becomes, "DC Beats Marvel at the Box Office" and "Has Marvel Lost the Magic?" and now Disney and Marvel have to worry about the shareholders.

Of course, reasonable way to address this is to move the release date. If Marvel wants to avoid the crossover name grab that is Batman v Superman, they would release a week early. But they chose their date very specifically (they had to if they announced it two years in advance) and I guess moving it would convey a lack of faith in their product? And it could start a trend of rushing production to get films out a week earlier than the competition.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Shinkicker444 said:
Because watching one movie prevents you from going to see the other? If you're a fan of both, you're going to make time to see both.
Movie tickets aren't cheap, most people only go see one movie a week at the most. The kind of person who would make it a point to go see both movies in a single weekend is in the thin minority, and it's opening weekend that studios tend to care the most about.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Count me in the minority. I'll make a day of it - see one movie in the morning, go out, eat a burger, use the restroom, get some sunlight, come back for an afternoon showing of the other. Matinee prices are $7.50 so it's $15 just for the movies and maybe a $5 meal from whomever, be it Subway or McDonalds. That's not a lot of money for what will be a very good movie day. I can't guess how opening weekend will go, but if the last Cap movie is any indication, the next one should have more lasting appeal for the following weeks so it'll make its money regardless.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I suspect that if Man of Steel had been better received he might be singing a different tune. I really don't think very many people are that psyched for DoJ, especially non-filmy/geeky people because the first one kinda sucked. On the other hand hand, people are actually looking forward to Cap 3 because Cap 1 and especially Cap 2 and The Avengers were really fucking good.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Marvel haven't had a flop yet (critically or box-officely) and it wouldn't matter that much if they had a mediocre turnout for Captain America 3. DC on the other hand really need "Dawn of Justice" to be a hit, it's there foothold in an attempt to catch up.

A hit to the opening weekend will be a bigger problem from DoJ if it doesn't get critical praise, people will see Cap 3 anyway because its part of a continuity that people are already invested in.

There isn't any reason for Marvel to duck out and if DC ducked out it would basically look like surrender. If this was a calculated move on Marvel's part then it's actually quite a good one (although it's really mean).

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
TheRightToArmBears said:
I suspect that if Man of Steel had been better received he might be singing a different tune. I really don't think very many people are that psyched for DoJ, especially non-filmy/geeky people because the first one kinda sucked. On the other hand hand, people are actually looking forward to Cap 3 because Cap 1 and especially Cap 2 and The Avengers were really fucking good.
I wonder if regional differences play enough of a part to counter balance the not-comic-or-film-geek crowd at all. I know that in some regions in the U.S. that are generally religious and conservative, there were church youth events to see MOS as large groups because there's that scene where he goes to a church - and there is a silly amount of associated imagery and allegory tossed in the movie for good measure (though kind of missing the point if Supes doesn't really save people, let alone missing the point of Superman if he generally disregards all that human collateral damage). While these same groups seem less enthused by Marvel.

I for one will ablsolutely see Cap at the cinema, and on opening day if possible - and will see Law and Order Super Hero Unit... maybe never. I just don't want to at this point.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Vilealbaniandwarf said:
Given a choice Captain America 3 as every DC film so far has been rubbish where even the weaker marvel entries have been pretty good.
So based on track records alone Marvel wins this.

That said i'm gainfully employed so will end up seeing both.
The Dark Knight is best superhero movie ever made so erm.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I totally expect that DC will move their movie back while claiming that they need more time to finish production, but really it'll be to avoid opening beside the Captain America 3. Let's be honest, the Marvel movies have done excellent both critically and commercially. The DC movies have not done as well. The last DC movie that was a huge success was The Dark Knight. Man of Steel, The Dark Knight Rises, and other movies haven't done as well critically, though some have done well commercially (though not as well as DC had hoped I suspect).

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I fall squarely in the "DC is getting the short end of this stick" camp. I simply cannot lower my expectations enough to seriously believe People v. Rodemeyer Superman v. Batman: Dawn of Justice League 0.5 will beat Captain America 3.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Everybody seems to ask the question, "Why not see both?".

Well, that's because the average movie-goer doesn't go to 2 movies a weekend and most people don't even go to 2 movies a year. Movies at theatres are expensive in both money and time so a lot of people are content with watching Netflix or television at home instead. I want see both of these movies, but I'll probably have other things to do when the movies come out so I'll wait half a year when they come out on Blu Ray. I might get lucky enough that the stars align and I can see Captain America in theatres.

But I'm going out on a limb to say Batman vs. Superman will be moved a week earlier or a month later.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
I'd say Batman v Superman would win the opening weekend, with Captain America pulling ahead afterwards. Batman and Superman in one movie is just too much of a pull for the general populace for Cap to beat. Unless DC released their movie as "Dawn of Justice" instead of Batman v Superman

On a slightly different note: Why the hell isn't The Winter Soldier being released on DVD/BR before september it stopped playing in theaters a while ago, so why would Disney wait that long?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kmadden2004 said:
I can see it now;

Batman V Superman will get the bigger box office take.

Captain America 3 will get the better reviews.

Both films will have basically identical audience ratings (give or take a negligible decimal point).

It'll be the greatest stalemate in the history of fanboy pissing contests.
And it won't stop anyone from arguing over which did better.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
Movie tickets aren't cheap, most people only go see one movie a week at the most. The kind of person who would make it a point to go see both movies in a single weekend is in the thin minority, and it's opening weekend that studios tend to care the most about.
It also takes time away from other things. I mean, more people work weekends these days, and longer hours in general (US specific). A lot of people, even comic book fans, have families. Plans would have to be made around family commitments,m including (hopefully) dealing with any kids, rather than bringing them along to cry in terror at Batman.

Granted, if you've got the free time and disposable cash and you are unattached or your SO doesn't mind (or wants to come with), seeing both movies is a great option. Hell, you could do it back to back if you wanted to. But for a lot of people, yeah. This is an issue.

robert022614 said:
Why does no one ever offers the option to see both? That's what im going to do.
So your answer to "which film" is "both." That's fine. The question, as phrased is still legit.

Lieju said:
How likely it is the movies will actually come out at that date?

It's still two years away, so isn't it likely that Dawn of justice will be moved back? Due to issues and such?
Or maybe I'm just still overly sceptical over that movie.
I can honestly see DC/WB sticking to release date even if the movie isn't finished. Although Batman AND Superman are both in it, so they might show it a little more care.

K12 said:
Marvel haven't had a flop yet (critically or box-officely) and it wouldn't matter that much if they had a mediocre turnout for Captain America 3. DC on the other hand really need "Dawn of Justice" to be a hit, it's there foothold in an attempt to catch up.

A hit to the opening weekend will be a bigger problem from DoJ if it doesn't get critical praise, people will see Cap 3 anyway because its part of a continuity that people are already invested in.

There isn't any reason for Marvel to duck out and if DC ducked out it would basically look like surrender. If this was a calculated move on Marvel's part then it's actually quite a good one (although it's really mean).
It really will matter, though. I mean, both companies want huge blockbusters, and this has the potential to cannibalise sales. To some extent, this means that no matter who wins, they both lose. Not to mention both the popular and fiscal reactions should Marvel, the reigning champs of making even C-Listers work, lose. And lose to the reigning champs of screwing up comic properties. They do stand to lose if it happens.

And it very well could. For all the hate surrounding DC and Man of Steel, Superman and Batman are the best known comic characters. And I suspect the idea of them fighting, even if it's just a scene, will draw a lot of people. Captain America, while his movies have been fun, is not quite that iconic (especially on an international level). I have no doubt the movie will be good, but...It's Captain America vs two of the most iconic character in comic book history.

Most of all, the fans potentially lose. If DC makes "too little" money, they may scrap non-Batman or Superman movies again. If Cap does poorly in any metric, the PR may cause issues with shareholders. That could mean less adventurous movie choices. And if I don't get my Squirrel Girl solo movie, I will not be happy!

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
We also have to consider another thing: how ambitious one movie is to get the word of mouth. The concept of Superman (somehow... god knows what dumb thing they'll justify to explain how he'll do it) punching Batman and vice versa can only go so far especially when you consider the direction Cap 3 might be heading.

Since Chris Evan's contract with Captain America will be all said in done they will most likely have him assassinated by Crossbones and Bucky will become the new Cap for future Marvel films.

So me thinks Supes vs Bats will only pull people in just because the title strikes the most curiosity (only to set up disappointment), in which Cap 3 will rake in all the gold once word spreads of it's quality and consistency.

As for me.. seeing as I will be seeing both, I'm conflicted. Should I see crap first and water it down with an actually well put together superhero film?! Decisions decisions.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
Here's the thing about this - yes, both movies will lose a lot of money if they do this. The difference is that Marvel can afford losing money on the THIRD captain america movie. DC can't afford to lose money on Batman v Superman. all their plans for the Justice League hinge on that movie. Marvel can just absorb the loss and watch DC die.