Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 10: The Bridge

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I've been watching this show, but I am not exactly interested in it. I think the problem is that I just don't care about the characters. Coulson was interesting in the movies but in this show the character is being forced into a bureaucrat turned father figure and it doesn't work. The only character who seems the slightest bit self-motivated is Skye and she's just barely an existing being what with her all information should be free attitude. I mean, I get that when I go to work, I am not showing my whole self, but rather putting on an image. Everyone does that - but everyone also goes home at the end of the day and lives a normal life afterward. These characters seem to never show real emotion or desire or motivation. Even with a back story about a kid in a well, Ward just comes off as equivalent to the electrician showing up at my door to fix something. These people LIVE ON A PLANE. It's like being in the navy. Perhaps this "on a plane" thing was meant to recreate the effect of Firefly, but it's missing the point. The characters don't seem to have real relationships. In the end, they just seem like robots on a plane that are programmed to make rhetorical comments and occasionally get angry with each other.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I wonder if the eventual bad guys will turn out to be AIM. They deal with advanced technology and I seem to remember MODOK having a connection to them at least in the newer Avengers 'toons. They might be a decent enemy for SHIELD when they aren't poking Hydra or just generally mooching around after superheroes.

But I'm really getting tired of the show. The only reason I am watching it is to find out what happened to Coulson, I don't give a damn about anyone else because they're all so dull and Coulson is sort of like a loose thread from Avengers. I just hope they don't keep the secret as a ransom to try and trickle out another season.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
This is classic Whedon, start so-so, slow build up then by the time this season ends everything will snap together in a way that makes it all freakin amazing.

Why else do all his other shows (not based on things with an already existing fan base) get canceled but leave behind ridiculous cult followings.

(And now I prepare to get bombarded with the real reasons Dollhouse, and Firefly couldn't find legs, because the internet hates all. :p )

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
I've been meh about the series for a while, but I'm hoping that it'll shape up in January. I'm generally interested in what happened to Coulson, and if that's the focus for the rest of the season it should prove to be an interesting ride.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Every show has rocky beginnings, and AOS is no different. This show has barely kept me watching, and mostly because it's nice to go on ABC.com and watch it every week, almost like back when I had a TV.

However, I think the show's main flaw is that it's not gaining any favor with what should be its target audience. People like us, who want to see nods to the comics, who want crazy awesome characters with backstories, powers, and complex motivations, we're not the ones they're looking at. This show is made for the average joes who saw the movies and like to watch stuff like NCIS. Hell, they're probably even aiming at kids with the main characters never killing anyone.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Every show has rocky beginnings, and AOS is no different. This show has barely kept me watching, and mostly because it's nice to go on ABC.com and watch it every week, almost like back when I had a TV.

However, I think the show's main flaw is that it's not gaining any favor with what should be its target audience. People like us, who want to see nods to the comics, who want crazy awesome characters with backstories, powers, and complex motivations, we're not the ones they're looking at. This show is made for the average joes who saw the movies and like to watch stuff like NCIS. Hell, they're probably even aiming at kids with the main characters never killing anyone.
It's almost like the source material was aimed at k--

Wait A SECOND

HMMMMMMM.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
I found the drama about the switch at the end of the episode a bit over-acted. I'm a little worried that Weddon's crew has become a little to reliant on old favorites like Buffy and Angel formulas.

If I see a fabulous musical episode, I'm out.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
My theory is, if they insist on clairvoyance not being possible, that this guy/thing is from the future.
Bam; time travel is 'science', not magic. Problem solved.
And with Coulson coming back after all, you could claim some sort of timeline-split or alternate future is now shaping up, one that the time traveller didn't come from.

As for time travellers?
Cable is my number one, but he's a mutant and thus has rights issues (movie wise, not human rights wise; oh the irony!!!).
But I am sure Marvel has plenty time travellers, anyway.
Cable would be awesome, because he wants a super utopia future for all, but is willing to play very hard (and sometimes from a distance appearantly evil) to get there. That would make Centipede morally grey, which is of course the best kind, storywise!

P.S.
Bob, your idea for the Clairvoyant is the Orcale from the Matrix, so... that's been done and boring to me.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
It's gotten to the point where reading Bob's synopses is far more entertaining than watching the actual show. Only the "clairvoyant" turning out to be MODOK will save this show for me now.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
I am hoping for M.O.D.O.K. as well, but i hope they don't go full CGI on him if they do.

The "clairvoyant" could be some one/thing that is able to calculate outcome of misions.
This wouldn't a big stretchs either, it's done al the time.
Only he/it can do it beter.
They may need coulson because they can't calculate why Coulson is alife.

They discribet the guy from prison as a "master tactician", he could fit the bill him self.
Maybe it's a ruse, or he has multiple personalities.
At least he is not totaly mentaly stable, stabbing a guy and finishing his meal.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I don't mind how the show is going, if only because it's how Marvel can tie up loose ends and unanswered questions from the upcoming movies. Remember that as more movies are released, the show has more material to work with. This worked out a lot like other shows, where they had to keep a lot of their juicy stories close to their chest until they figure out if people like the show. Now that it's known to be around a while, we'll probably see the plot crank up a notch or two. AT least I hope so, since now they don't have any reason not to just push the envelope and do what they can to link the show even more to its movie counterparts.

As for The Clairvoyant, there's a number of other possibilities, and I think it has to be more linked to a villain that's already been shown in the movies. MODOK doesn't cut it for me, but you know who we haven't seen a lot of lately? Red Skull. Now I'm not saying he comes back, as he would be a movie-class villain, but what about one of his henchmen? What if CENTIPEDE is an organization created by Arnim Zola to create an army of super soldiers to continue the cause and wait for his Master's return? Arnim wouldn't be as hard to make as MODOK, as he's just a robot with Zola's face on a chest-LCD.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Quiotu said:
What if CENTIPEDE is an organization created by Arnim Zola to create an army of super soldiers to continue the cause and wait for his Master's return? Arnim wouldn't be as hard to make as MODOK, as he's just a robot with Zola's face on a chest-LCD.
He's been due, sure, but can network TV afford Toby Jones? I'm honestly not sure where he would fit in pay scale, but I imagine he wouldn't be as costly as Samuel L. At the very least AIM was connected to Extremis during IM 3 so I imagine it has to be involved somehow. Maybe AIM and Hydra teamed up?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
AgentNein said:
Peterson's going to come back. Maybe they'll put him in some sort of witness protection... his alias will be Luke Cage (fixed!).

MY crazy fanboy theory, and believe me I've been carrying this torch for awhile.
I'd be inclined to believe that myself....if Marvel wasn't already making a separate Luke Cage show for Netflix. :(

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Ferisar said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:

It's almost like the source material was aimed at k--

Wait A SECOND

HMMMMMMM.

HMMMMMMMMMMM.
^ This. Seriously how hard has modern comic fanbases tried to memory hole out the fact that they originally started out as reading material for 7-12 year olds? Bob has been over this several times too. Comics have only been "for adults" Since about the mid 80s. In other words just under 30 years. Compared to 45 or so years if we want to use Superman as a marker for comics beginnings (He's 75 this year in case you haven't heard). Seriously if this show appeals more to kids than adults then I think its doing a good job. Of course its also being helmed by Disney who are masters of making FAMILY entertainment not kids entertainment. I like what the show is doing and I don't want too dark of a show with brooding characters with. Well not another one. I've got Arrow for that and I like Arrow. Also Arrow is proving that good shows or at least shows with potential do need a second season to figure out what they want to do.

Arrow itself is slowly embracing its comic book origins and in the midseason finale did something I didn't expect to see until a year or so from now. Point being is that why is comic book related material suddenly off limits to the original demographic that made it popular in the first place?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Ferisar said:
Silverspetz said:
AgentNein said:
Peterson's going to come back. Maybe they'll put him in some sort of witness protection... his alias will be Nick Cage.

MY crazy fanboy theory, and believe me I've been carrying this torch for awhile.
Don't you mean Luke Cage?
No, he means the greatest superhero of our generation. The one truth we can cling on to when in times of great peril and darkness.

On-point, I've no idea how I felt about this episode outside of the fact that when the car Coulson was in exploded I kind of got upset for the split-second that he might have been dead, as well as Peterson.

But all the events in this episode seem to be building toward a lot of climax and drama, which is interesting because most of the stuff prior hasn't stirred me as much. I know I'm curious about what happens next, but that's the point with cliffhanger endings I suppose. Damn TV shows.
The thing is...Coulson most likely cant die (not literally). He's already done that. Dying is a thing a character really cant do a lot of times before it gets ridiculous.

coheedswicked

Mar 28, 2010
"A mind that computes and calculates so precisely that its predictive abilities might as well be clairvoyant."

This makes me think The Mad Thinker moreso than MODOK.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
vid87 said:
Quiotu said:
What if CENTIPEDE is an organization created by Arnim Zola to create an army of super soldiers to continue the cause and wait for his Master's return? Arnim wouldn't be as hard to make as MODOK, as he's just a robot with Zola's face on a chest-LCD.
He's been due, sure, but can network TV afford Toby Jones? I'm honestly not sure where he would fit in pay scale, but I imagine he wouldn't be as costly as Samuel L. At the very least AIM was connected to Extremis during IM 3 so I imagine it has to be involved somehow. Maybe AIM and Hydra teamed up?
I always thought AIM was a spin-off of HYDRA, or a modern-day cover for them. And of course they can have Toby onTV; he was a villain in an episode of Doctor Who.
The Hungry Samurai said:
This is classic Whedon, start so-so, slow build up then by the time this season ends everything will snap together in a way that makes it all freakin amazing.

Why else do all his other shows (not based on things with an already existing fan base) get canceled but leave behind ridiculous cult followings.

(And now I prepare to get bombarded with the real reasons Dollhouse, and Firefly couldn't find legs, because the internet hates all. :p )
Funny you should say that, because this very thread is full of hate for Agents od S.H.I.E.L.D.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
coheedswicked said:
"A mind that computes and calculates so precisely that its predictive abilities might as well be clairvoyant."

This makes me think The Mad Thinker moreso than MODOK.
They can't use Mad Thinker. He falls under the FF license which Fox has. I'd still be surprised if they opt to use a reasonably major villain like MODOK on the TV series when they could dump him into a Captain America or Iron Man movie with full effects budget. I fear the best we could hope for is someone really obscure and D list, like Machinesmith.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Just going off the time traveller angle, Kang the Conqueror is pretty solidly an Avengers villain and might be viable if they just redesign his helmet.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
This whole episode regarding Peterson I was saying "please don't die, we all like you and that usually means you're going to die but I really don't want you to so don't do it!" I also think they can make Modok on the budget they have, after all Doctor Who did the Face of Bo and there is no way their budget is as high as Disney's.